Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside Next in March?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Planetside 2 could be so awesome but 3 1/2 months to beta and not even a screenshot, concept picture or any solid info on the game doesn't sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Where does it say the beta starts in 3 and 1/2 months? From what I have heard its just an announcement in March. plus if there was a beta, it wouldnt indicate a release a month or so later. And how annoying is it when a developer shows off 1 or 2 pieces of concept art or a pre-rendered trailer for a game thats 3 years away, better to keep your game hidden for a long time and then actually have soemthing to show or are near release so the buzz wont fizzle out over several years.

/mini rant over

Just hope they keep that spark that made P1 so good,it was WAYYYYYY ahead of its time due to the terrible internets and underpowered computers for large scale FPS shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I wouldn't hold out any hope. Loved PS, still do, occasionally resub every now and again just to get annoyed by hackers cheating but sure there ye go, still love the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold out any hope. Loved PS, still do, occasionally resub every now and again just to get annoyed by hackers cheating but sure there ye go, still love the game.
    Problem is I have no faith in Sony to actually make PS2; EQ2 vs. EQ (and lots of other versions by other companies) etc. show that the follow up game is never the same style/interest :(

I'd honestly love to play PS2 but as it currently stands I'm not holding my breath and I think that Tribes will be my best bet for large FPS battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Well I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about PS-N, I loved the original game back before Core Combat, BFRs & the blatant cheating sent the game down into a shame spiral.
    I believe one of them main reasons why it got so bad was they shipped off most of the talented Dev's from PS over to SWG and what was left just couldn't handle it.

Still if they get this game back to basics and improve on the various systems I'll be stoked, I sent in a 6 page creative rant back in September when they asked former players for their opinions on what should be put in this game.

• Advertisement

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/17/soes-smedley-says-mmo-copycats-incoming-drops-hints-on-planets/

"We're looking at late first quarter, early second quarter [2011]," says SOE head honcho John Smedley in regard to the long-awaited PlanetSide sequel. Players will have to wait a bit longer to get their espionage fix, as The Agency is still slated to arrive "late this year."

As I said above, way to short a time to make a good game :(

Well its rumoured to have been in development for around 2 years, good for a normal game but kinda short for an MMO alright.

but when ya look at the nuts and bolts of Planetside, theres no AI or quests, no crafting or auction houses or such. its just a world, various guns and tanks and such, and the mechanics to use them. Would 2 years be too short to make the MP for Battlefield or such, just on a grander scale?

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Well its rumoured to have been in development for around 2 years, good for a normal game but kinda short for an MMO alright.

but when ya look at the nuts and bolts of Planetside, theres no AI or quests, no crafting or auction houses or such. its just a world, various guns and tanks and such, and the mechanics to use them. Would 2 years be too short to make the MP for Battlefield or such, just on a grander scale?

I fully agree on how basic Planetside 2 can be compared to other MMOs and still be an awesome game, but not even a screenshot, video, beta or even basic info on a game that's gonna launch so soon is not a good sign :(

Venom wrote: »
    I fully agree on how basic Planetside 2 can be compared to other MMOs and still be an awesome game, but not even a screenshot, video, beta or even basic info on a game that's gonna launch so soon is not a good sign :(

Didn't they do something a bit similar with the original game release, the SOE forums at the time we're all focused on the up coming SWG, that I didn't see much about PS until almost the week of release (Could have easily been me wearing blinkers tho ;))
    I know that was then and this is now when most people demand to know every facet from game before it's launched leaving very little mystery.

They could be hoping to create a little hype with "We're not telling you nuffin" approach

Necron99 wrote: »
    Didn't they do something a bit similar with the original game release, the SOE forums at the time we're all focused on the up coming SWG, that I didn't see much about PS until almost the week of release (Could have easily been me wearing blinkers tho ;))
    I know that was then and this is now when most people demand to know every facet from game before it's launched leaving very little mystery.

They could be hoping to create a little hype with "We're not telling you nuffin" approach

But DCU is also a SOE game and has been hyped up since day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Looks more like a modern day tank than the futuristic designs from the original game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Venom wrote: »
    Looks more like a modern day tank than the futuristic designs from the original game.
    Well the smurf tanks where quite close to "normal" day stuff (guided missiles, rocket buggies etc.), Us communists relied on 1945 era Sovjet style tanks (bodies and not guns to do the damage along with direct flak weapons etc.) and the real communists (i.e. VS) were the real nut cases with energy weapons.

NC smurf gear always looked the most like modern day, just wait for the technophile VS Barney gear to start popping up.

http://yfrog.com/gzc2dtyj

New look for the Gal.

Looks nice, hopefully I wont be at the receiving end of a "Sea Drop" in one once the game is out.

Also Smedley tweeted
    The Galaxy plays an even more pivotal role in the new game.

along with the pic.....wonder what that could mean?

Dunno. I want to see the Gal Gunship though.

Dunno. I want to see the Gal Gunship though.
    I really hope they cut the gunship out completely, that thing had way way to much hp for what it did (i.e. BFG level of bad).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd love for this to be good, but the lack of any solid info is kind of worrying. It must be pretty early days, or what they have must be pretty ****. Planetside is one MMO that i'm annoyed that i missed. It sounded awesome back in the day.

Nody wrote: »
    I really hope they cut the gunship out completely, that thing had way way to much hp for what it did (i.e. BFG level of bad).

I really liked it myself. If you were on the ground, with no air cover, then yeah, they're horrible, but get above and behind them in any other aircraft and they can't touch you, while you rip chunks out of them.

• Advertisement

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/26/planetside-next-thousands-of-players-lo-fi/
    A couple of different sources have now contacted us to confirm that the unrevealed Planetside sequel/remake Planetside Next will support “thousands” of players across the battlefield, in a manner similar to the original. Given the appearance of a couple of different images based on models from vehicles appearing in the old game, it looks like Planetside Next will be a straight-up remake of the original concept, albeit it with a different balance, as apparently the Galaxy (pictured) will play an even more important role in the game this time around.

Another source suggests that the game will be scaled to support “low-end” machines as old as six years. (So by implication pixel shader 3.0 cards and higher.) The game will apparently be launching in March, with a beta starting next month. We are going to be all over this.

DO....WANT!!!!!!

So just a graphical overhaul......sweet. Planetside was always a game way ahead of the technology at the time, cant wait to see what the game in full looks like. Wonder what "era" of PS they are emulating, like vanilla or the Core Combat/BFR nonsense.

Core Combat I don't mind, though one of those caves was woeful to navigate. Pretty sure the BFRs have been dropped (I seem to recall something early on saying that). I'd like to see the advanced eng and hacking stuff kept, though maybe some reworking of the certs costs. I do want to see the Gal Gunship kept, though it might need an armour / health adjustment to balance it.

I really liked it myself. If you were on the ground, with no air cover, then yeah, they're horrible, but get above and behind them in any other aircraft and they can't touch you, while you rip chunks out of them.
    Be on ground and you were dead, period. I could lock down as a Terran Flak cannon and shoot it on approach until it flew over me (100+ shots and I knew how to lead 'em) and still die with it having over 50% health. Heck, even 3 Flak cannons would not be enough to turn it around and the guns would rip anything on the ground to pieces quickly.

Leave in the bombers etc. yes, but not a overly beefed up multi gun gunship of no destruction. You usually ended up seeing two (one from each side) circling over bases trading pot shots at each other ><

I also hope they dump CC & BFRs, ruined the game something fierce,

that Gal looks sweet!, it even has wheels!

Seems like Planetside is going to be the game we all loved - No BFRs
    S-Blog
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-no-bfrs-in-planetside-2-2343.htm

And no Core Combat
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-john-smedley-talks-planetside-2342.htm

This to me is fantastic news :D

Necron99 wrote: »
    Seems like Planetside is going to be the game we all loved - No BFRs
    S-Blog
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-no-bfrs-in-planetside-2-2343.htm

And no Core Combat
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-john-smedley-talks-planetside-2342.htm

This to me is fantastic news :D
    That moved the game from, most likely buy to "pre order a online version now" game for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Still waiting patiently for a release date.....

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I remember getting planetside on release day when i was on 56k and a pc that had something like a 450mhz cpu lol,think my gfx card at the time was a voodoo3 or something :D
    Awesome game though.

• Advertisement

Advertisement