Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toll barrier hit windscreen

Options
  • 18-12-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Anybody have any experience dealing with Eurolink? The operate the M4 Toll near Enfield. I have an automated card for the toll roads. When going through the express lane with a green light all the way, the red light suddenly turned on and the barrier came down on the top of the windscreen. There was a little cosmetic damage to car and windscreen has been chipped. I don't feel responsible for what happened, but I'm wondering did the car immediately in front have a chip?

Any thoughts and experiences would be of great help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

I've had a similar experience at the very same place. In my case I was lucky just to loose my Dublin flag attached to the car ..... but it scared the hell out of me. That barrier is clearly not working as designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There was a little cosmetic damage to car and windscreen has been chipped. I don't feel responsible for what happened,

CCD135,That windscreen is toast....On laminated screens the chip will,in time expand into a crack,especially in this cold weather.

Even if you have windscreen cover I would land this one straight onto Eurolink`s desk asap.

Perhaps the cost of your damage could be deducted from the "package" being afforded to their benefactor Mr Dempsey.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sounds like a faulty barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Not uncommon there, contact them and they will deal with it.

It happens usually when you are a bit too close to the car in front as you go through the express lane.

i say usually as it happened to me once and i felt i was well back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CCD135

It was a heck of a days driving out of Castlebar so I was fairly frazzled by the time the barrier hit. I think it's rather stupid having a barrier on the express lane, but in future I'll be even more careful going through. I have the distinct feeling The car immediately in front didn't have a tag, or else my approach speed was too slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You should request CCTV footage and then see a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nearly happened to me on the M7/M8 toll once as well. Green light all the way and suddenly red and barrier came down in front of me. Was able to brake in time but gave me a right fright and it was lucky there was no-one behind me. Went green again then just after I stopped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

BostonB wrote: »
    Sounds like a faulty barrier.

case closed folks! Sherlock here has saved the day again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have seen it happening more than once a few lanes away while on the bus on the M1 too. I wouldn't be driving on if it hit my windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Some Nordie tried to sneak through after me on the M1 toll a while back and the barrier cam down and gave his windscreen an awful whack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

maxxie wrote: »
    case closed folks! Sherlock here has saved the day again..
    Keep it constructive please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jonnyb

This happened to me last week. Light was green all the way and then just as the bonnet was going under the barrier it turned red and the barrier dropped and hit the roof of my car! just got an email from the NRA telling me I have to pay for the damages to the barrier.... are they crazy.. something like this could cause a serious accident

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Things like this can sometimes happen when motorists drive through the toll well over the specified speed limit. Could that have been a factor in this case op?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Things like this can sometimes happen when motorists drive through the toll well over the specified speed limit. Could that have been a factor in this case op?

The barrier came down, not failed to raise. Failure to raise can be caused by going through over the speed limit (particularly on the M4 where the barrier is timed so that it'll raise if you enter and continue through the area at ~65km/h or less, the other tolls generally raise quicker). Coming down is a fault, basically.

Advertisement