Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Push" email services for mobiles (not blackberry)

Options
  • 18-12-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are the available push email services offered by the various providers.

Note, I'm not talking about blackberry here. The sort of service I'm talking about is the sort of thing provided by Vodafone's "email plus", where emails are pushed to the phone as opposed to having a client on the phone contact the mail server over the internet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are the available push email services offered by the various providers.

Note, I'm not talking about blackberry here. The sort of service I'm talking about is the sort of thing provided by Vodafone's "email plus", where emails are pushed to the phone as opposed to having a client on the phone contact the mail server over the internet.

There's full push email on the iPhone for @me.com / @mac.com address and also for gmail (with a bit of configuration), yahoo and MS Exchange.

Android Phones e.g. the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S etc all support full push e-mail for Google Mail/Gmail and Google Apps out of the box without any configuration really at all and some others too. I'm not sure if MS Exchange is fully supported for Push on this platform at this stage.

Nokia smartphones have full push email for a range of email providers via the Nokia Messaging App which you can download free from the OviStore

None of these require a special service from your network operator, but you do need always on data i.e. a data bundle of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Thanks for that. The problem is that none of these appear to be similar to "email plus", a service that no longer seems to be available from vodafone for new phones.

What this services did was you could enter your email account settings (which could be generic pop3 or imap accounts) into the web page, together with your phone details. The service would then poll your email account periodically and if a new email arrived, it would be pushed onto your phone.

The services you mention seem to be for specific email services like gmail. I'm looking for something that will work with generic email accounts such as the sort that are provided by hosting companies like register364.

Unfortunately MS Exchange is not used in the specific case I'm dealing with.

For some reason "email plus" which offers this facliitiy is being withdrawn. The only option that does what I'm talking about appears to be blackberry. I find this strange to be honest. You would think there would be a large market for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You could just create a gmail account for the push feature and forward all you emails to that account, bingo bongo problem solved! :D

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You could just create a gmail account for the push feature and forward all you emails to that account, bingo bongo problem solved! :D
    Thanks. That might work.

With mobile services is it possible to configure the phone to delete the emails from gmail as they are recieved on the phone?

Also, when sending or replying to emails, are you forced to use the gmail account or can it appear to come from a different email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Thanks. That might work.

With mobile services is it possible to configure the phone to delete the emails from gmail as they are recieved on the phone?

Also, when sending or replying to emails, are you forced to use the gmail account or can it appear to come from a different email address?

You should be able to do both of those, I can.

• Advertisement

Many thanks. I will give that a shot.

Advertisement