Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presents for the Creche

Options
  • 18-12-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Are any of you getting presents for the people who work in your creche?
    And if so what are you getting?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

We got presents for the teacher and the main aide in the twins classrooms- A mug, filled with some hot chocole packets, marshmallows, and some home made cookies. Last year we got them small Starbucks gift cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I suggested some nice chocolate and my three year old said 'no mommy, we are not allowed to bring sweets to school.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

got a body moisturiser, hand cream and lip balm set from avon for about a fiver for his 2 teachers. going to wrap them tomorrow with a tea light holder. also got him to make the cards for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Our 9 year old came home with a note from school about a month ago saying that due to current recessionary times that the teachers would not be accepting cards or presents for Christmas this year (was the same last year)
    Donations in lieu to charity if desired

For the creche when she was there many moons ago we used to give them a big box of sweets or chocolates to share around
    Not terribly original I know but its the thought that counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Our 9 year old came home with a note from school about a month ago saying that due to current recessionary times that the teachers would not be accepting cards or presents for Christmas this year (was the same last year)
    Donations in lieu to charity if desired
    Sounds like a very progressive school.
    For the creche when she was there many moons ago we used to give them a big box of sweets or chocolates to share around
    Not terribly original I know but its the thought that counts!
    We were thinking chocolates but they are surely going to get about 20 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How about a voucher for a stationary store for them all? Sometimes the budget doesn't stretch to getting all the supplies (pens, diaries etc) and it might be a welcome gift. Bookstation do things like wall charts for the rooms too with the ABC's and stuff on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

When my lad was in creche, I used to get a candle for a couple of the staff (xmassy, nicely wrapped etc) - but didn't buy for all of them.

Now he's in primary, and a few of the parents have been chipping in 10euro each for the teacher each year. Last year, the teacher had just revealed she was pregnant, so we got her a voucher for over 100euro for a baby shop - this year, it's been cut back to 5euro per child, but we still got the new teacher a voucher for the local beauty salon for 80euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I was working in a creche up til August of this year, and the last two Christmasses most parents just sent in chocolates or bottles of wine. What we did in the creche then was keep all the presents that weren't for individual people until the last day of work, then divide them all between us fairly.

Honestly, a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine is the perfect thing because everyone's struggling this year with the 'R' word, so while it's nice to know parents are grateful for the care their children are given, there's no need to be going out spending a lot of money.

I do really like the school's idea of donating to a charity instead, think that's a lovely idea regardless of whether there's a recession on or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

We got a similar letter from my daughter's primary school, asking not to give presents to the teacher. It was great to see it, as it took some pressure off even though we wouldn't have spent a lot on the teacher anyway.
    For my son's montessori teacher, we would usually give a box of chocs, which we know will be added to a pile to be divided out later but we would also buy a children's book which would be left in the class for the kids to enjoy. You can never have enough books in a classroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    We got a similar letter from my daughter's primary school, asking not to give presents to the teacher. It was great to see it, as it took some pressure off even though we wouldn't have spent a lot on the teacher anyway.
    For my son's montessori teacher, we would usually give a box of chocs, which we know will be added to a pile to be divided out later but we would also buy a children's book which would be left in the class for the kids to enjoy. You can never have enough books in a classroom!

As someone who runs a pre-school, I love the idea of a book for the service. We have asked for no gifts, to give to the SVP if they wish but presents stil arriving. A parent took in a framed cartoon drawing of all the staff today and it went down so well, as did lotto tickets. The girls got great fun out of them. At present we have 4 copies of the sex and the city movie, dozens of boxes chocolates and wine, candles. The girls also loved some Next teatowels, really cute ones that a parent took in today. Another thing that went down really well was little flower arragements, the girls loved them. The ones who live at home plan to put them in bedroom and the others in main rooms. Coffee shop ochers also came in and again went down very well.

The staff have decided to give all chocolates to the SVP, wine will be devided and gifts given to one person kept.

• Advertisement

We ended up getting an oxfam charity present - a sports kit for kids.
    And, a box of chocolates.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know its a bit controversial but people pay enough money to creches at the best of times without feeling compelled to fork out extra money at a critical time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Fittle wrote: »

Now he's in primary, and a few of the parents have been chipping in 10euro each for the teacher each year. Last year, the teacher had just revealed she was pregnant, so we got her a voucher for over 100euro for a baby shop - this year, it's been cut back to 5euro per child, but we still got the new teacher a voucher for the local beauty salon for 80euro.

Any kind of whiparound or collection is a very bad idea. Even at just a €5 per head, there are families that just can't afford this. It is particularly difficult for families with more than one child. Any whiparound situation can be very embarrassing for people in this situation.

Parents should have more sense, and schools should have clear policies in place to stop this happening. A home made card or craft gift from a child is more than enough as a gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

UnReggged wrote: »
    I know its a bit controversial but people pay enough money to creches at the best of times without feeling compelled to fork out extra money at a critical time of the year.

I say this as someone with no kids admittedly, but why on earth are people buying presents for people they are already paying to care for / educate their children? I don't get presents from people for doing my job nor do most other people :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think any 'organised' collection to buy presents for creche or school staff is unfair because different families have different disposable incomes and it puts undue pressure on those who may be already struggling at Christmas time.

Nobody wants to be the parent who doesn't contribute to the christmas gift for the teacher but perhaps some parents just can't afford to.

In the school my nieces go to they used to have this custom where at communion time all the kids particpating gave the other kids €10 in a card. Obviously it was the parents who were footing the bill for that little custom. It was officially knocked on the head last year by the school for the same reason.

If individual parents want to make a gift to show their appreciation then fair enough and a box of chocolates should be sufficient.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We gave them a box of quality street. I didn't feel obliged to I just wanted to, they've been very good at helping our little guy integrate and make me feel OK about leaving him there.

We often get boxes of chocolate at work as a little token of appreciation and it really brightens your mood to be shown that people care about you in such a simple manner. It also makes people more inclined to go the little extra distance when they know they're appreciated.

I think there's no harm at all in it provided you're not doing it for any other reason than you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I say this as someone with no kids admittedly, but why on earth are people buying presents for people they are already paying to care for / educate their children? I don't get presents from people for doing my job nor do most other people :confused:

Personally speaking, I do it to show my appreciation. Most times, parents are paying the creche (not the individual) so the carer actually gets paid a minimum wage for doing an extremely responsible job.
    I gave my little fella's carers a voucher each and a box of chocs for the staff room. They make his world so much fun on a daily basis and that is very comforting for me.
    Also, I did get some thank you presents in my own job - so it's not just for child minders. I know loads of people in different jobs who get pressies at Christmas. Sorry if you din't Penny Dreadful!! :(

Any kind of whiparound or collection is a very bad idea. Even at just a €5 per head, there are families that just can't afford this. It is particularly difficult for families with more than one child. Any whiparound situation can be very embarrassing for people in this situation.

Parents should have more sense, and schools should have clear policies in place to stop this happening. A home made card or craft gift from a child is more than enough as a gesture.

If your kids are in the creche it means both parents are working.

We're not exactly flush. Like many people we lost a fortune in the property crash but could afford a tener.

People who work at creches earn very little and apparently don't get treated very well.

If your kids are in the creche it means both parents are working.
    No, it doesn't. I know of one family where Mammy has been out of work for about 18 months, but still keeps the child in creche for after school and school holidays.
    We're not exactly flush. Like many people we lost a fortune in the property crash but could afford a tener.
    Good for you. Other families are struggling to keep food on the table.
    People who work at creches earn very little and apparently don't get treated very well.
    And a tenner at Xmas keeps your conscience happy over this? Do you really think this makes it all right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I do it to show my appreciation. Most times, parents are paying the creche (not the individual) so the carer actually gets paid a minimum wage for doing an extremely responsible job.
    I gave my little fella's carers a voucher each and a box of chocs for the staff room. They make his world so much fun on a daily basis and that is very comforting for me.
    Also, I did get some thank you presents in my own job - so it's not just for child minders. I know loads of people in different jobs who get pressies at Christmas. Sorry if you din't Penny Dreadful!! :(

Thanks:) I wasn't saying what I said because I didn't get a present at work before Christmas. I just think it strange that people (not necessarily in a childcare setting) get presents as a thank you for doing a job they are being paid to do and so have a responsibility and moral obligation to do that job to the best of their ability IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I think any 'organised' collection to buy presents for creche or school staff is unfair because different families have different disposable incomes and it puts undue pressure on those who may be already struggling at Christmas time.

It was me who mentioned a collection in our school. We did this 3yrs ago purely because money was tight for everyone - the word is put out that X mam is collecting a few bob for teacher. It's up the individual parent if they want to contribute - the parent doesn't approach anyone - if you don't want to contribute, that's absolutely fine. It's not like those awful collections that happen in every job I've ever worked in (one of my pet hates:mad:).

No, it doesn't. I know of one family where Mammy has been out of work for about 18 months, but still keeps the child in creche for after school and school holidays.
    Why does she do that? If she is unemployed surely she would just mind the kid(s) herself?
    Good for you. Other families are struggling to keep food on the table.
    Which is awful. Put if you are out of work, why pay creche fees which are huge? They are more than what you get on the dole.
    And a tenner at Xmas keeps your conscience happy over this? Do you really think this makes it all right?
    It's just really the thought, not the amount that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Why does she do that? If she is unemployed surely she would just mind the kid(s) herself?

Which is awful. Put if you are out of work, why pay creche fees which are huge? They are more than what you get on the dole.

It's just really the thought, not the amount that matters.
    I think it is a little unfair to make a judgement on someone without knowing their circumstances. Maybe the child is an only child and her parent is sending her to the creche/pre-school so she has a chance to mix with other children. Children learn from each other - speech and language, play skills etc.

Probably because she struggles to manage her child's behaviour herself, so she is outsourcing it. Not a good idea in my book, but there you go.
    I was talking about people who are working, and are struggling to pay creche fees. There should be no expectation that they pay out more on presents to keep the staff sweet.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think it is a little unfair to make a judgement on someone without knowing their circumstances. Maybe the child is an only child and her parent is sending her to the creche/pre-school so she has a chance to mix with other children. Children learn from each other - speech and language, play skills etc.
    But you can do that in things like toddler clubs - they are a lot cheaper.

Probably because she struggles to manage her child's behaviour herself, so she is outsourcing it. Not a good idea in my book, but there you go.
    Well that's a bit unique and I'd agree with you but you are not supposed to judge people in this forum on their parenting so we don't need to go into that further unless you want to take it to another forum.
    I was talking about people who are working, and are struggling to pay creche fees. There should be no expectation that they pay out more on presents to keep the staff sweet.
    It's only small amount. Say if your creche fees are 12K a year. A tener is only 0.0083% of that.

If you can't afford it fair enough - but it's statistically improbable.
    But, there are always unusual and improbable cases and if those people wish to do their own thing, that's fair enough. No-one is making anyone pay for presents and I'm sure creche staff appreciate good manners during interactions which don't cost anyone anything.

Advertisement