Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Alex Ferguson

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Legend pure and simple. Those first few years 1986-90 were barren and we all know in todays climate he would've got the sack, just look at Hughton etc. Thank God football club chairman weren't as impatient back then, those Cup successes of 90 and 91 really laid the foundations for an incredible 20 years of success.

I have only vague memories of Ron Atkinson as Utd manager, so like a few others its gonna be weird seeing someone else take the reigns, whenever it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Best manager of all time, hands down.

To be at the biggest club in the world for 25 years is amazing. It will never be repeated.

The trophies he has won, the club he has created, the players he has developed, the players he made into managers, he has made an enormous impact on all levels of the game.

No other manager can claim to have effected the game in the way he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Muppet wrote: »
    We've been spolied, I hope he's still there in 2020.

one of your best posts ;)

it is going to be fascinating to see how Utd fans adjust to no Ferguson. how patient will they be? how willing will they be to take to another man's style? etc etc etc...

i can't wait until he fúcks off home and finally pays his wife attention (i.e. annoying the fúck out of her).

there's a distinct smell of wánker off him, but i suppose you probably need a bit of that to get to the top of a profession like football management.

bottom line, the man is a legend...and for the amount of rival fans, especially Liverpool ones, to pay even the most begrudging of respects, to a man who will more than likely oversee the overtaking of our most cherished top flight record of 18 leagues is testament to his brilliance and the respect he commands.

it's a cliché, but i really don't think we'll see the likes of him again. he's from the school of management which included the likes of Clough, Busby, Stein, and if I may, the great Liverpool ones like Shanks and Paisley.

he could well go down as the greatest ever, and not one football fan could create an argument disqualifying him from at least being a very strong candidate for that accolade.

seriously though, i wish he'd fúck off. he promised 6 years ago or something :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

SlickRic wrote: »

it is going to be fascinating to see how Utd fans adjust to no Ferguson. how patient will they be? how willing will they be to take to another man's style? etc etc etc...

i can't wait until he fúcks off home and finally pays his wife attention (i.e. annoying the fúck out of her).

there's a distinct smell of wánker off him, but i suppose you probably need a bit of that to get to the top of a profession like football management.

bottom line, the man is a legend...and for the amount of rival fans to pay even the most begrudging of respects, to a man who will more than likely oversee the overtaking of our most cherishes top flight record of 18 leagues is testament to his brilliance and the respect he commands.

it's a cliché, but i really don't think we'll see the likes of him again. he's from the school of management which included the likes of Clough, Busby, Stein, and if I may, the great Liverpool ones like Shanks and Paisley.

he could well go down as the greatest ever, and not one football fan could create an argue disqualifying him from at least being a very strong candidate for that accolade.

seriously though, i wish he'd fúck off. he promised 6 years ago or something :pac:

One of your worst posts Slic ;) !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Horrible man, unbelievable manager. Probably missing the one or two Champions League titles that his legacy deserves though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

bottom line, the man is a legend...and for the amount of rival fans, especially Liverpool ones, to pay even the most begrudging of respects, to a man who will more than likely oversee the overtaking of our most cherished top flight record of 18 leagues is testament to his brilliance and the respect he commands.

he could well go down as the greatest ever, and not one football fan could create an argument disqualifying him from at least being a very strong candidate for that accolade.

Reading that just makes me even more begrudging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Have you read all my posts?

Is it acceptable to say someone has a" smell of wanker" off them here now? Cool I must store that one for the future.:D

A few years in the wilderness won't bother me, I've been there before, It's the kid's that dont remember United Pre Fergie that'll struggle. Suppose we'll lose a few of them to whoever the flavor of the day is then.

I expect the rest will turn bitter ,adopt a mantra of "next year will be our year, live on memories of times past and slag off whatever unfortunated has to follow in the great mans footsteps. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Is it acceptable to say someone has a" smell of wanker" off them here now? Cool I must store that one for the future.:D

Ive been saying that about joe cole for years :pac:

I don't know if it's acceptable but I sure do like it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Have you read all my posts?

well they're mostly in two threads (Finance or Liverpool) so it's hard to miss them ;)

and yes, 'smell of wánker' quite blatantly isn't calling him one, just that he gives that heir of someone who can be a bit unpleasant, so i'd deem it just about acceptable.

if another mod thinks differently, they can delete it and infract me.

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Me too. so much so I'm going to save it for Rafa's return.:D

LZ5by5 wrote: »

You like the smell of wanker?

Whatever gets you going i suppose.

Me too. so much so I'm going to save it for Rafa's return.:D

You two make such a cute couple! Awwww soccer forum bringing soulmates together...

well they're mostly in two threads (Finance or Liverpool) so it's hard to miss them ;)

Yeah, That's me in a nutshell. Admit it ye miss me when I don't post in tehliverpool thread.;)

Talking of the finance thread could we have a late entry into the awards, The Brian lenihan award for financial predictions, perhaps we could make it a group award.:)

and yes, 'smell of wánker' quite blatantly isn't calling him one, just that he gives that heir of someone who can be a bit unpleasant, so i'd deem it just about acceptable.

if another mod thinks differently, they can delete it and infract me.

I have no problem with it in the nature it was poisted TBH, The senior mod might have another view, he's very sensitive about stuff like that.;)

Did you know you can be defrocked for trolling your own forum?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Top man. Always has good things to say about my club (Sunderland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »
    Top man. Always has good things to say about my club (Sunderland).

That's never a good thing though. It's when's he slagging you off that you know you're doing something right!!!

If he's saying good things about you, you're not a threat. Simple as. Why do you think the rivalry between himself and Wenger has calmed down over the last few years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can't wait till he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

he should thank Mark Robins , only for him things would have been oh so different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Absolutely amazing manager; when you consider how much football has evolved in England since he took over the reins at Old Trafford. Somehow he has nearly always managed to keep ahead of the curve. And despite having enough success for 10 managers, his hunger remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

BERBA wrote: »
    he should thank Mark Robins , only for him things would have been oh so different!

Is that a slight hint of praise I detect?:D

• Advertisement

Overrated to be honest. He's just been lucky enough to buy the right players at the right time and employ them in the right positions using accurate tactics the majority of the time. He's been blessed!!

Bollix am i giving him praise!! You can prove anything with trophies, Bill!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's never a good thing though. It's when's he slagging you off that you know you're doing something right!!!

If he's saying good things about you, you're not a threat. Simple as. Why do you think the rivalry between himself and Wenger has calmed down over the last few years!!

In fairness Sunderland are never going to be a rival to Manchester United in Ferguson's lifetime (probably not ever) so he has no need to play mind games with us.

Ferguson has always had respect for us as a club (Keane even comments on how Ferguson told him as much in his autobiography) and I think his dislike of the shambles that is Newcastle probably has something to do with it too.

I don't see why he can't like us anyway, because we're never going to be a threat to him.

Paully D wrote: »
    In fairness Sunderland are never going to be a rival to Manchester United in Ferguson's lifetime (probably not ever) so he has no need to play mind games with us.

Ferguson has always had respect for us as a club (Keane even comments on how Ferguson told him as much in his autobiography) and I think his dislike of the shambles that is Newcastle probably has something to do with it too.

I don't see why he can't like us anyway, because we're never going to be a threat to him.

Yeah, i take your point. Nothing against Sunderland or anything. But it's easy for him to praise you.

If the Arabs had taken over Sunderland rather than Man City, the praise for the Mackems would be over.

That's not to say that Sunderland don't deserve praise or anything cos i have a lot of respect for the way you's have gone about things, especially since Quinn took over.

I could just be p!ssed off that you're praising Ferguson!! :mad: :D

Is his record in europe lacking a bit,seeing how good the teams he has had over the years?

Is his record in europe lacking a bit,seeing how good the teams he has had over the years?

I geuinely think that he's fallen down there a lot over the years. I know he's won the Champions league twice and the Cup Winners once, but i feel he should have won more euro trophies over the years considering the way he has dominated english football!!

Not really no. With the exception of AC Milan, no team has won the Champions league more than 3 times during Ferguson's era at Utd.

Milan 5

Real 3

Barca 3

United 2

Porto 2

Apart from Milan ******* on everyone during that period, Ferguson's is still only one of 5 teams that have won the European cup more that once over the last 25 years.

He has also regularly reached the latter knockout stages with a few exceptions.

Wouldn't say he's lacking too much there at all tbh. If he wins it again before he goes it will cast away any lingering doubts.

Not really no. With the exception of AC Milan, no team has won the Champions league more than 3 times during Ferguson's era at Utd.

Milan 5

Real 3

Barca 3

United 2

Porto 2

Apart from Milan ******* on everyone during that period, Ferguson's is still only one of 5 teams that have won the European cup more that once over the last 25 years.

He has also regularly reached the latter knockout stages with a few exceptions.

Wouldn't say he's lacking too much there at all tbh. If he wins it again before he goes it will cast away any lingering doubts.

Yeah, but no other club has had the consistency of the same manager.

If he wins it again before he goes it will cast away any lingering doubts.

no chance of him winning it again before he goes , not with barca on the scene

They wern't on the scene when Inter kicked seven shades of **** out of them at the san siro.

Where were Barca last year? Not in the final. ;) There's no guarantees in football.

• Advertisement

You think Barca are going to win it evey year until fergie retires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Good to see you have such faith in your own crowd anyway BERBA.;)

You think Barca are going to win it evey year until fergie retires?

i think that if utd draw them they will be chasing the ball for 90 mins just like they were in 2009 with the same result

Ah wouldn't rule out Spurs just yet, they're defo enjoying playing in the CL, that's for sure. There's no reason why they can't get past AC.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Good to see you have such faith in your own crowd anyway BERBA.;)

i think we are more equipped to win it this season than ye flah , i'd rather wait to play barca in the final though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Because Barcelona are going to win every single trophy every year. Remind me how much they won the final by last year? Oh....

Great team yes, but lets not hand them the trophies before they have actually won them.

On topic, I love Sir Alex Ferguson. End of :D

i think we are more equipped to win it this season than ye flah , i'd rather wait to play barca in the final though:D

Hark at the Champions League virgin. You're inexperienced my friend. Just try to get past AC Milan first!! :rolleyes: Jesus Christ!!!

Hark at the Champions League virgin. You're inexperienced my friend. Just try to get past AC Milan first!! :rolleyes: Jesus Christ!!!

worry about your own crowd monkey and trying to get back in to the competition:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm beginning to see why he was nominated for biggest sh!tstirrer by EVERYONE.:pac:

Pity about the username though:D

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to see why he was nominated for biggest sh!tstirrer by EVERYONE.:pac:

Pity about the username though:D

31m reasons to smile my friend with that username:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not being able to keep a clean sheet is a bit of a no no at the business end of the CL.

Back on topic, I think Fergie's European record is pretty good, English clubs were playing catch up in Europe for a number of years after the ban, since they did he's been in 3 finals, won 2 and been in the quarters/semis every year for the last decade give or take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

i think that if utd draw them they will be chasing the ball for 90 mins just like they were in 2009 with the same result

We played them in 2008 too, they should never have been in the final in 2009 anyway. ;)

worry about your own crowd monkey and trying to get back in to the competition:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah but Berba, i always worry about my own crowd. And thus why i still post when Hodgson is still our manager. And it's why i will still be posting here once you f*ck off back to your own private little swamp when Redknapp becomes England manager.

Ah but Berba, i always worry about my own crowd. And thus why i still post when Hodgson is still our manager. And it's why i will still be posting here once you f*ck off back to your own private little swamp when Redknapp becomes England manager.

Or when a big club come in for Bale:D

which reminds me when that happens , chri$t i dont want rafa taking over , as some commentators have speculated on.

• Advertisement

Or when a big club come in for Bale:D

realistically only one club at present could afford bale , fergies neighbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I respect him as a great, great manager but loathe the person. He is one of the five great managers of the English game along with Shankley, Paisley, Busby and Clough. Personally I think Clough was the greatest of them all considering he won league titles with Derby County and Nottingham Forest and two European Cups with that Forest side but all five were just awesome.

which reminds me when that happens , chri$t i dont want rafa taking over , as some commentators have speculated on.

Berb i think AC are going to show you what you have to do in the CL. I think it's one of the worst draws you could have gotten. One of the most experienced teams against the newbies. I'd say Milan were happy with the draw as much as you supposedly are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Get a room !

Unbelievable manager.

With him in charge united will always be up there challenging and winning trophies.

Managers like him only come around once or twice in a lifetime, or to some clubs never at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement