Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Barking

• 18-12-2010 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I have a Cairn/Yorkshire cross terrier who I usually leave inside the house. As soon as she gets up, she goes to my sitting room and sits on the back of my couch and barks at people who pass by. I yell at her and tell her to stop, which doesnt work, if it's night-time I close the curtains but if she hears anything like a car door or people talking who are walking past she still barks. She doesn't spend the whoe day on the couch, just periods of time but if she sees anyone go past her main instinct is to bark at them.

I understand it might be a way of protection but it can be very annoying. Is there any way I could get her to stop barking?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd suggest you stop yelling, she could see it as you "joining in" :o.

You could teach her "speak" for treats, then "quiet" for treats. You'll have a command then which she understands.

You could also have treats at the ready, when someone passes, call her from the window, get her to sit for you, then give her the treat. Hopefully, after doing this for a few days, she will run to you for a treat when anyone passes, you can eventually phase out the treat and just give her a rub when she goes to you.

Or else you could try walking over to her, saying no firmly and gently moving her from the couch, not allowing her back up until you decide she's quiet enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Don't shout at her, when she barks take her outside, she'll soon get the idea that barking = I want to go outside, after a while she'll only bark when she wants to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My girl does this also, so I have started saying to her in a firm tone "do you want to go out?" and if she barks again she gets put into the dining room on her own which she detests.

We are now getting to the stage when she starts barking and I say it she runs to her bed and looks angelic so she gets a treat.

I can't do the treat way that someone mentioned as all of mine would want them and I have one on a diet who I'm restricting treats for :D I can give her one on the sly in her bed though :p

Advertisement