Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry Street on maps

Options
  • 18-12-2010 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Odd thing. Henry Street - one of Dublin's three or four most important shopping streets - appears as if it's an unnamed lane on most electronic maps.

Mind you, the maps are at a baby-steps stage; they have basic errors, shared by all, like Harold's Cross Road (the road leading through the Harold's Cross suburb) being called "Harold's Crossroad", and many instances where road names continue on to different roads that aren't named.

But I wonder how the Henry Street one happened.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Looks fine here.
    henrystreetstreetdv.png
    Map Europe v860.3104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

But as you see, while the parallel street is named, Henry Street is not. Get rid of your search result term and back off a bit and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

I noticed a street sign on Henry Street toady under the official one but in the same size and format which had only a Garmin post code on it. Who gave them permission to do that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

But as you see, while the parallel street is named, Henry Street is not. Get rid of your search result term and back off a bit and you'll see what I mean.
    Here it is zoomed out a bit. Henry Street is named on the map.
    henrystreetstreet2dv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Robus wrote: »
    I noticed a street sign on Henry Street toady under the official one but in the same size and format which had only a Garmin post code on it. Who gave them permission to do that?
    Nobody apparently. They've been reported to DCC who've issued a warning to Garmin, or whoever put them up and they have 4 weeks to respond.

See this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69554836#post69554836 from post #467 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Odd thing. Henry Street - one of Dublin's three or four most important shopping streets - appears as if it's an unnamed lane on most electronic maps.
    What electronic maps would those be?

It's there on both Navteq and TeleAtlas maps which covers the majority of GPS manufacturers, it's on Google Maps and Google Earth and on Bing maps too.

Like koolkid says, it's often a question of zoom level affecting what level of detail is shown, including street names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The first one I looked at was the iPhone map.

I don't know how to actually show a specific place on the TomTom if I'm not at that place, so can't look again at it now.

I can't do anything with an error I can't reproduce.
    If its TomTom on the iPhone app can you supply me with the map version.

Advertisement