Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 call credit/visa situation

Options
  • 18-12-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I have already spoken to O2 about this but they said it will take a few days before they can get back to me. Long story short I got my Visa bill yesterday and there were 2 O2 top ups of 30 euro on my Bill. Neither of which I have anything to do with. O2 agreed that I have only topped up by 10 euro in the last month. While I'm waiting for them to get back to me does anyone know what could have happened? I doubt it's my Visa that's been hacked as there is nothing else on the bill apart from the 60 euro top ups that is the problem. Could it be possible that someone has hacked my O2 account and is topping up their phone with my card? Up until yesterday my card details were on my O2 account but I have now taken them off and have changed my O2 password. Is there anything else I can do but wait for O2 to get back to me? Also do you think I will be able to get this money refunded? Would love to know if anyone has any advice or if they have heard of this before. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Contact your bank immediately. It's probably the card. Remember, if the card has been skimmed/cloned and you don't notify them, you could be liable for any further charges that come in. Mobile phone top-ups are a common way to "test" that the card hasn't been blocked as they're low value, reasonably inconspicuous to the bank and useful to the person who has the card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would be talking to the credit card company too, it could be fraud. Its a popular thing on credit cards, taking small amounts and over time it adds up. Being small amounts that you might not notice. Phone credit is also a popular thing bought with these scammers.

Edit: beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Thanks guys. I just cancelled the card there. Thanks so much, I honestly thought it was just a mistake with O2 when there was nothing else on the card apart from those two top ups. Surprised that they didn't tell me to cancel my card. Even the guy on the phone to AIB said it was strange that there was nothing else except those two top ups so he didn't think it was fraud but what else could it be? AIB fraud department are dealing with it now and he said if it is fraud that I will be refunded. He said he'd just issue me a new card and there was no need for a new PIN or anything so hopefully it will get sorted. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Buffy may be onto something, never head of testing a card before though. I'd say it's a mistake on o2's part.

Advertisement