Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic thread in banking?

Options
  • 18-12-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

I'm just going to throw it out there seeing as a lot of people seem to be getting bans and comments removed around here lately due to discussing banks/financial institutions and what goes on in them.

It seems that a lot of people round here was to discuss the banking crisis and what goes on in financial institutions in Ireland and abroad. What lessons can be learned from the way other countries govern their banks, etc and how can Irish banks improve what the services and products they offer the consumer.

Now I for one feel that after hours is NOT the place for this discussion and the economy section is NOT the place for this discussion as it is not really an economic matter.

I've seen a lot of forums in the past few months with threads started by mods asking members of the forum how said forum can be improved. To my knowledge I haven't seen this kind of thread in the banking section. It might be an idea to see what users of the forum think of it and what changes can be made. If this has already happened-apologies-I missed it!

As a disclaimer-if the mods feel this is an inappropriate thread then please go ahead and lock it. But it would be interesting to see if people want to talk about banks here. I called it an off-topic thread but its not really off-topic is it? It's one of the hottest topics around right now. Maybe it should be called the hot-topic thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I prefer this forum for discussing specific financial needs/topics.

Ranting and raving forum for what you are suggesting I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Amdublin, you backed my point really seeing as you'd like to discuss financial topics in this forum but that is currently not allowed!

It would only be ranting and raving if it wasn't controlled. As things stand this forum seems extremely well controlled. No reason why that shouldn't continue with the thread I was proposing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Maybe you'd like some changes to allow for banker bashing, eh? :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

There should be discussion on banking as a whole - for example discussions on re-invigorating customer service, financial management et al.

We're all stakeholders now so there needs to be somewhere these issues can be discussed in a reasonable fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

amdublin wrote: »
    I prefer this forum for discussing specific financial needs/topics.

Ranting and raving forum for what you are suggesting I would say.

Agreed, it will just be a huge threat ranting about bankers best just to start one in R&R.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Emergency Services forum often has robust discussions about An Garda Siochana and the excellent moderation there makes sure that posters can have discussion on issues without a "closing of the ranks".

It went through a difficult gestation period but now it is realised that constructive criticism is not the same as Garda-bashing.

I'm not interested in bashing-the thread if it comes to pass should not be about that.

If criticisms are constructive and well articulated then where is the problem with them? Changes are only going to occur when people realise the positive and negative results that have occured from actions of the past (indeed changes are already taking place but do we know what they are?). There are a lot of changes happening in the financial/banking world. Discussion of these could only be a positive if it lead to a greater understanding of how a banking system can operate effectively, efficiently and ethically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yes but that would not happen. Just look at the thread when the ATM's were down. It says it all.

Also considering for the last two years about half of the thread ended with 'were paying billions to bail out these banks its a disgusting and I cant even get a loan'

Its also been discussed on AH so it might be another option for it.

AH is discussing the economy as a whole-not the banking/financial sector specifically. Its an extreme exaggeration to say that most threads for the past two and a hlaf years have ended with that statement.

Thats enough toing and froing from me. Might make a poll and see what the results are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There are more appropriate forums for the "bigger" topics. The remit of this forum is quite specific with regards to what it's about and what the purpose is. (Something which has been explained to you via PM, previously).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement