Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD died

Options
  • 18-12-2010 2:38pm

I got a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD yesterday and went to set it up last night in my Acer Aspire 7730 laptop. I initially put it in a USB enclosure and cloned my Windows 7 x64 install to it. While it worked, it was very slow, much slower than the hard disk I was using. So I shut down the machine and put the hard disk back in for the time being.

But now when I put the SSD back in, my BIOS freezes for about 30 seconds and doesn't recognise the drive anymore, the enclosure doesn't either. All I see are lights beside the SATA connectors. The green light comes on and stays on, the amber light comes on for about a second and then goes off.

I never went near the drive's firmware or anything. Is returning it my only option?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Most likely - sounds like its semi-bricked by borked memory controller, not much you can do about that at home unless the retailer gives you explicit permission to reflash the firmware prior to return :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Solitaire wrote: »
    Most likely - sounds like its semi-bricked by borked memory controller, not much you can do about that at home unless the retailer gives you explicit permission to reflash the firmware prior to return :o

I am now very happy that my SSD drive was returned and refunded without my permission :D

Advertisement