Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Christmas Please Pledge a Bonus for a Banker

• 18-12-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

In these hard times bankers all over Ireland are going through times of hardship, bonuses have been cut back, reckless lending and investment to meet targets now severely restricts their potential to earn fat bonuses.

But with your help and for only €41,666 a month you could help a banker earn his bonus so that they can continue to lead the life they've become accustomed to.

This Christmas while you struggle to get by and make ends meat, spare a thought for these poor bankers who are struggling to live a life of luxury while paying off 6 mortgages.

With your help this Christmas bankers and executives just like him can return to the lap of luxury.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/govt-probes-500000-bonus-to-senior-banker-486191.html

The Government is investigating a €500,000 bonus to a senior banker.

A report in The Irish Independent says the executive in Bank of Ireland Asset Management was given the bonus, one of the largest in the Irish banking system in recent days, without the prior knowledge of the Finance Minister.

The Department has written to the bank demanding details of the payment.

Labour's finance spokesperson Joan Burton said the latest revelation was a clear sign that the banks would continue with their bonus culture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

All these bonuses should be stopped, end of story, we own the banks now so what we say goes. If they don't like it let the fcuk off and see if they can get jobs somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Was reading about that in the Indo' here: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/probe-into-euro500000-secret-bank-bonus-2465716.html

I wonder why they tried to keep it secret!
    ...Yes, I know. Stupid question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ah sure they deserve it, they've done sterling work over the last few years:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

If Ireland were a sinking ship these fcukers and their political lapdogs would be still stripping it of it's assets as it sinks only to realise that there's nothing left for anyone not even themselves. This place is such a joke you couldn't even make the stuff up.

ah sure they deserve it, they've done sterling work over the last few years:pac:
    Yea, Sterling, Dollars and Euros - maybe even Japanese yen too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lads read up on who these are for and what they achieved before begrudging, not all depts of a bank are the same

lads read up on who these are for and what they achieved before begrudging, not all depts of a bank are the same
    I did ...and while they were for previous actions in two years back, within the same period the same bank were up to their eyeballs in antics at bringing about the collapse of our economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

:confused:

One executive in Asset Management received 500k.

The bank is posting staggering losses but yet can afford to pay out 500k?
    I'm sorry but these guys will have to learn to take one for the team, just like the average Joe is being asked to do, regardless of their performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Drumm racks up $15,000 in credit card debt, then decides to declare bankrupsy and refuses to pay these credit card bills. There is no rule of law for the likes of him. Scumbags like ** are obviously protecting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

For all we know this asset manager could have posted excellent returns on his portfolios so perhaps a 500k bonus is justified. Strip him of that then he will just leave the country and start supporting that country with his high tax returns.

The suggestions of these 90% tax rates are ridiculous and whilst I think it won't lead to a flight of talent (as the talent needed to be there in the first place), I do think it will make Ireland highly unattractive to anyone who is successful in banking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

interesting to hear some one from outside the eu s take on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's amazing that an organisation that we now own, continues to reward it's own ineptitude and incompetence. Where else would you get it? or indeed tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Samba wrote: »
    This Christmas while you struggle to get by and make ends meat, spare a thought for these poor bankers who are struggling to live a life of luxury while paying off 6 mortgages.

Seems a bit gay..

D-Generate wrote: »
    ..whilst I think it won't lead to a flight of talent..

Talent? What talent? Christ! lets not lose our perspective here. We're not talking about a person possessing vital skills here, like a leading Cardiac or Neuro Surgeon for example. We are only talking about a professional gambler, you know a 'wheeler dealer'.
    ..I do think it will make Ireland highly unattractive to anyone who is successful in banking.

Sure of course Ireland will always be attractive to **** Bankers. The Government will bail you out, hide your criminal deception of the public, tolerate your persistent lying, lack of cooperation and overall incompetence. Fcuk Ireland's a Bankers paradise!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Talent? What talent? Christ! lets not lose our perspective here. We're not talking about a person possessing vital skills here, like a leading Cardiac or Neuro Surgeon for example. We are only talking about a professional gambler, you know a 'wheeler dealer'.

utterly wrong comments there... to be honest your either lying to incite people or ignorant to what the job entails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

For all we know this asset manager could have posted excellent returns on his portfolios so perhaps a 500k bonus is justified. Strip him of that then he will just leave the country and start supporting that country with his high tax returns.

The suggestions of these 90% tax rates are ridiculous and whilst I think it won't lead to a flight of talent (as the talent needed to be there in the first place), I do think it will make Ireland highly unattractive to anyone who is successful in banking.

I agree and I'm aware of that however the problem itself is the entire bonus system and the fact that it encourages high risk/reward investment strategy.
    If we don't take a detailed look at banking systems and their practices now(on a European and International level) then this problem will never go away and it will only be a matter of time before history repeats itself or until debt backed paper money collapses all together.

I'm not suggesting these bonuses were solely responsible for bringing the Irish economy to its knees but they did play an indirect role.

Perhaps bonuses in future should be paid out in shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

squod wrote: »

Drumm racks up $15,000 in credit card debt, then decides to declare bankrupsy and refuses to pay these credit card bills. There is no rule of law for the likes of him. Scumbags like FF are obviously protecting him.

Isn't the drum bankruptcy proceedings taking place in America?

utterly wrong comments there... to be honest your either lying to incite people or ignorant to what the job entails

Please don't dare accuse me of lying, I am expressing my opinion. I think if most people were asked to choose between the skills of a 'banker' or the skills of a Doctor,nurse, Paramedic ect. I think they would place a higher value on the latter groups contribution to society. Bankers are disposable is essentially my point, Bankers contribute nothing of value to society.

Please don't dare accuse me of lying, I am expressing my opinion. I think if most people were asked to choose between the skills of a 'banker' or the skills of a Doctor,nurse, Paramedic ect. I think they would place a higher value on the latter groups contribution to society. Bankers are disposable is essentially my point, Bankers contribute nothing of value to society.

well you referred to them as professional gambers, 'wheeler dealers', terribly insulting considering the training and level of work these people went through to get to that position. your comments were unfounded, and utterly incorrect, my assumptions that you were lying were based on that

well you referred to them as professional gambers, 'wheeler dealers', terribly insulting considering the training and level of work these people went through to get to that position. your comments were unfounded, and utterly incorrect, my assumptions that you were lying were based on that

The terms I used are how I view them personally, rightly or wrongly. So if you regard them as insulting, well that's unfortunate. This view is based on the effects bad bankers have had on my friends and indeed wider society in general. I also have a brother-in-law working in banking and my opinion is not based on blind ignorance.

They may indeed have trained intensely and worked hard to attain desired positions. But they are paid way out of proportion to the value or service they provide to society. Then I look at someone with truly invaluable skills like Captain Chesley Sullenbergerhe. He landed US Airways Flight 1549 safely on the Hudson river on January 15, 2009 after a serious bird strike. Saving the lives of 155 passengers and crew in the process. Now there's a man who deserves a €500,000 bonus. With skills that are truly indispensable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

The terms I used are how I view them personally, rightly or wrongly. So if you regard them as insulting, well that's unfortunate. This view is based on the effects bad bankers have had on my friends and indeed wider society in general. I also have a brother-in-law working in banking and my opinion is not based on blind ignorance.

They may indeed have trained intensely and worked hard to attain desired positions. But they are paid way out of proportion to the value or service they provide to society. Then I look at someone with truly invaluable skills like Captain Chesley Sullenbergerhe. He landed US Airways Flight 1549 safely on the Hudson river on January 15, 2009 after a serious bird strike. Saving the lives of 155 passengers and crew in the process. Now there's a man who deserves a €500,000 bonus. With skills that are truly indispensable.
    And yet pilot pay is absolutely atrocious for the amount of responsibility they have and how much it costs to gain a commercial license.
    Something is seriously wrong in the world were glorified accountants and loan sharks get paid six figure sums while people who are responsible for the lives of hundreds of people on a daily basis are living from hand to mouth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/11/pilot-exhausting-hours-wages
    The exotic blend of international travel, the authority of commanding the ever larger and faster airliners, and those dashing uniforms turned heads, drew autograph hunters and attracted groupies. Pilots also made a lot of money.
    Today it is different. Captain Dave Ryter earned so little when he was a co-pilot for a major airline that he lived in a gang area of Los Angeles, commuted for hours to work and made less money than a bus driver.
    "I was standing at a gate waiting to commute a few years ago. I was in uniform and a passenger walks over to me and strikes up a conversation as people often do. He said: where's your second home? I looked at him, thinking he was making a joke. He was serious. I said: actually, it's my parents'," said Ryter. "I was living in a very small town home in a gang area and my wife also worked for the two of us to support our family."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Ali Babba wrote: »
    All these bonuses should be stopped, end of story, we own the banks now so what we say goes.
    No we don't.

Then I look at someone with truly invaluable skills like Captain Chesley Sullenbergerhe. He landed US Airways Flight 1549 safely on the Hudson river on January 15, 2009 after a serious bird strike. Saving the lives of 155 passengers and crew in the process. Now there's a man who deserves a €500,000 bonus. With skills that are truly indispensable.

(plays violin)

but seriously. do you understand how a contract works. its very dangerous to start voiding contracts on the basic of public opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

(plays violin)

but seriously. do you understand how a contract works. its very dangerous to start voiding contracts on the basic of public opinion

Who's talking about contracts? What does the understanding of how a contract works have to do with the rights and wrongs of the absolutely bat-shít bonuses these twats get (over)paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Calm down lads. Let's not get too stressed about all this nonsense. In fact, I think I have the perfect way of calming us all down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp7Jv3mwbW4

I think the present situation is that what ever bonuses are paid out, that same amount should be deducted from the money they were/are going to get from the government (us!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Biggins wrote: »
    I think the present situation is that what ever bonuses are paid out, that same amount should be deducted from the money they were/are going to get from the government (us!).

So, instead of giving the banks ?40,000,000,000 only give them ?39,960,000,000 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

(plays violin)

The point is, they ****ed up big time. They don't DESERVE any bonuses

baalthor wrote: »
    So, instead of giving the banks ?40,000,000,000 only give them ?39,960,000,000 ?
    Its a start, it will not make much difference but the point will be plainly put across.
    That of, watch what your doing with public money and you will be held accountable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yarwood

~You know what I got a 1month ban on here for telling it like it is well here I go again, ALL INVESTMENT BANKERS shoul be ****ing shot on sight inc. ALL bastard C.E.O. and other minions that sat nodding roung the various banking tables over the past 10 years, now get off your ****ing arses and hunt them down.

Advertisement