Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with bins

Options
  • 18-12-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I know I'm going to sound like a cranky middle aged man but I'm ****ed off with people using my bins. I have to leave them on the street as I've no front garden and no side passage from the back.

I go to great trouble to separate the waste but everytime I put rubbish in them people have already filled them with unseparated waste. There doesn't seem to be a way to fasten a lock on to them. Not only is it annoying but I'm paying per weight. Anyone else have this problem or an idea of how to stop people dumping their waste. The only thing I can think of is a cranky message on them which might actually exasperated the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Have you Council or City Bin? I have heard of locks on bins before, they may have something. One crude soloution would be to loop a chain around the diameter, under the lip then attach one over the top coming from the middle of the lid at front, to back of lid at back. Get a cheapo bitta chain and a cheapo padlock (they're just deterrents I assume), and better locks if not. Might work.

Or if bin co don't have solution, ask if you can drill a lockhole in the bin.

Yeah, I have no prob people using bins properly but not if it's pay by weight or messing the recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Goodness, I really feel for ya!!! Sorry I've nothing else to add to the thread but that. I have to drag my bins through my house every week (mid terrece) and it's painful enough without folk dumping illegally in my bin.

Do you think a note on the bin would be a waste of time?? Like the one on my letterbox 'no flyers, no sales people, no free papers', except it says.... Private bin, no illegall dumping. Maybe that's a bit optimistic:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I have the same problem and my bins are from citybin. I emailed them to ask what to do about it and they said they dont have bins with locks anymore, but we can drill holes and put locks on them. It is very annoying - i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Greaney wrote: »
    ...except it says.... Private bin, no illegall dumping. Maybe that's a bit optimistic:o.

Nah, it'd be like the council ones, which do nothing except give people who hadn't thought of it the idea that this would be a good spot for illegal dumping.

OP, in the inner city, we have bags instead of bins (I'd have to drag a bin up two floors otherwise ... not a happening thing!). Don't know if they're allowed in the suburbs or not, but you could try asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

are you talking small bits of rubbish or full on black bags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Where do you live? You've me scared now! I know my brother's bins were not taken cos rubbish now separated but he always does. Turns out someone was putting their rubbish in! Ages ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

DRakE wrote: »
    are you talking small bits of rubbish or full on black bags

Full on black bags.

gaeilgegrinds: I'm in salthill in a small residential street with terraced houses.

I emailed City Bin about it, they said to just drill a hole and put in a lock. Bit of a hassle really, the problem is remembering which days to unlock which bins etc.

I'm in a cul-de-sac aswell with no through traffic so it's either the neighbours doing it or it's someone going out of their way. I'll love to catch the bastard in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I've decided to go with a note: It reads as follows:

The last guy I caught dumping his garbage here is tied up in my basement being force fed the contents of his waste.

Seems to be working so far ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

dafunk wrote: »
    Full on black bags.

gaeilgegrinds: I'm in salthill in a small residential street with terraced houses.

I emailed City Bin about it, they said to just drill a hole and put in a lock. Bit of a hassle really, the problem is remembering which days to unlock which bins etc. .

City Bin do a great free text notification if you ask. They'll remind you the night before, which bin is to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Try leaving your bins out the back of your house until they need to be left outside the house, and carry or roll them through the house. It's what I do, and I never have a problem with others leaving rubbish in our bins. I also live in Salthill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement