Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adultfriend clone dating site. how much?

Options
  • 18-12-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

hi im curious to see if i wanted a website created that was almost the same as adultfriendfinder or fling.com how much should i expect to pay to have it done right?
    Thanks
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

hi thanks for the link but i checked them out already and they dont have all featues im looking for. i want the same features as websites like fling.com such as chatroom and webcams. i contacted that company about them making me a custom script like this with them features but they were not too interested in that idea. so if theres anybody out there with the experience and skill to make such a website can you give a rough idea how much it would cost?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I am assuming you are not a technical person.

To do it right:

First do you really want an EXACT clone ? Probably not.

You would need someone to go through EVERY aspect of the site you want to clone, and then the bits that are different - note that these are probably a lot more than you think - and then someone could give you a price. Also something that might look simple to you may be quite complex and vice versa.

There is some serious work needed from your side to get this right. I suspect this is why the company you spoke to were not particularly interested. You know those shows where people build their own house? That's the kind of thing.

well although i want it to look different its mainly the functionality and features im interested in. here is a live site using the script from adultodating as shown in irish webmaster forum.
    http://www.luvstreet.com/

Id be happy enough with the above script or similar if it just had the option for webcam chat or if thats not possible then maybe i could settle on just having a chatroom where people can join different rooms.
    Am i wrong in thinking that adding such features to a script or creating a similar custom script is not extremely difficult?

lightspeed wrote: »
    i contacted that company about them making me a custom script like this with them features but they were not too interested in that idea.

Because they'd have to charge you a lot of money before a custom made script would be worth their while.

Professore was spot on about specifying the requirements, so the following are ball-park figures just to throw something out for discussion:

Tweak and change aesthetics of cloned script that is 96% ready in terms of functionality: 1, 500+

Create custom made script from 0% pre-ready functionality, and theme: 15,000+

If you offshore the work, you can make significant savings, but possibly have less control over the quality.

• Advertisement

hi thanks giving me a rough idea anyways regarding price. im aware of freelance websites that i could findsome to qoute me price of anything from a few $100 to $3000 but most seem to be from india or pakistan and it may sound prejudice but ive had had bad experiance after purchasing scripts and getting them installed from some indian companies and so i do have to doubt the overwhelming number of people from that area that would be qualified for such a task.
    Regarding the adding of webcams is that a major cost and job? and then regarding hosting if people are on the webcams is that going to be extremely expensive? i expect there to be hosting charges and running costs for thh site but i figure if i even charged a low membership price that would cover the costs.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

hi thanks giving me a rough idea amyways regarding price. im aware of freelance websites that i could findsome to qoute me price of anything from a few $100 to $3000 but most seem to be from india or pakistan and it may sound prejudice but ive had had bad experiance after purchasing scripts and getting them installed from some indian companies and so i do have to doubt the overwhelming number of people from that area that would be qualified for such a task.
    Regarding the adding of webcams is that a major cost and job? and then regarding hosting if people are on the webcams is that going to be extremely expensive? i expect there to be hosting charges and running costs for thh site but i figure if i even charged a low membership price that would cover the costs.
    Thanks
    Even $3,000 is a ridiculously low price to create an AdultFriendFinder clone. To get the job done properly, you're looking at a 5-figure sum just to create the thing. Once the site is developed, you're going to need to be spending at very least a few hundred a month on hosting, possibly thousands if you're expecting a lot of traffic. Also, you would need to employ a technical person who will be able to manage deployments, customise the site, etc.

I doubt you have the dough to pay for this, so you're either going to have to find someone who is willing to do the work for free, or you're going to have to become technical yourself. I believe that the man who created Plenty of Fish operated it as a one-man show for quite some time. Even still, his costs were $20k a month despite the fact he did most of the work himself.

Regarding the adding of webcams is that a major cost and job? and then regarding hosting if people are on the webcams is that going to be extremely expensive?

There are a number of pre-ready web-cam packages that can be hooked into the rest of the system. They can be inexpensive < 100Euro. The task is then to integrate them with your system, and that's where the expense can come in, in terms of hours.

If you want to get technical, you're looking at Red5, Wowza and Adobe FMS. Adobe FMS is the most expensive of the three. Red5 is open source, but quite difficult to get to terms with, technically speaking (so it might turn out to be expensive when you include labor as a factor).

The costs depend on many factors; traffic, quality of webcam, hours, are you showing cached previews etc.

ok but as i mentioned there is the adultodating script i mentioned and other dating software scipts but i cant find any with wemcam chat feature. so it my be too expensive for now to create such a site completly custom but if i could just add a chat room to an already made dating scrip is that a huge job? aslo regarding hosting and the technical end im hoping i can use a decent hosting provider and if im charge each member a monthly fee i figure it should be enough to cover costs as keep in mind plentyoffish is a free website and mine would not be.

conorcan2 wrote: »
    There are a number of pre-ready web-cam packages that can be hooked into the rest of the system. They can be inexpensive < 100Euro. The task is then to integrate them with your system, and that's where the expense can come in, in terms of hours.

If you want to get technical, you're looking at Red5, Wowza and Adobe FMS. Adobe FMS is the most expensive of the three. Red5 is open source, but quite difficult to get to terms with, technically speaking (so it might turn out to be expensive when you include labor as a factor).

just seen your above post . thanks i think ill contact adultodating and inquire about how much for a the open source script so that i can then try try to find some to integrate webcam chat.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

ok but as i mentioned there is the adultodating script i mentioned and other dating software scipts but i cant find any with wemcam chat feature. so it my be too expensive for now to create such a site completly custom but if i could just add a chat room to an already made dating scrip is that a huge job? aslo regarding hosting and the technical end im hoping i can use a decent hosting provider and if im charge each member a monthly fee i figure it should be enough to cover costs as keep in mind plentyoffish is a free website and mine would not be.
    I would have some major doubts about the quality and robustness of a $500 solution. Also, there's no way that anyone is going to pay money to join a site with no one on it. What you're looking at is making the thing free to start with, and then introducing a fee structure for premium features.

No offence, but I think you need to get realistic with this. If you look at most successful websites that don't have huge budgets, you'll see that the common theme is that their founders are talented people who poured their heart and soul into the project. This probably meant a year of doing 80 hour weeks building the thing. I simply cannot see how you can make a successful website of this nature without having a full time coding person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Biggest cost for you isn't really the development of the site, it's going to be advertising and marketing. There are plenty of these sites so the market is well saturated and market share will be small, very small. You're also late to the scene. If you don't already have a serious budget, think very carefully about proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

hi im curious to see if i wanted a website created that was almost the same as adultfriendfinder or fling.com how much should i expect to pay to have it done right?
    Thanks
    Andrew
    Raskolnikov mentioned Plenty Of Fish and it is not quite the kind of site you are looking to develop but the threads below detail what goes into developing such a site.

Read this thread:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum89/13958.htm

and this thread:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum23/4496.htm

The guy who designed and built Plenty Of Fish is not your average webdev and you are not going to find people with that kind of expertise and knowledge hanging around on slave trader sites. The skill set for developing large sites is quite different to that for running small, limited sites. Perhaps you can get away with using some modified script but large scale sites are somewhat more complex.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Look, there's a lot of politeness in this thread, but I'd like to just put it honestly.

It looks like you just want to pay a small sum to get some developers to copy and paste some existing systems and have it turn into Fling or AFF overnight, and give you a seven or eight figure cash-out.

The reality is getting something this complex built by other people easily goes into the high 5 figure amounts, if not more. Maintaining it will cost a fortune for hosting and bandwidth, etc. I don't have any idea how you expect to get users with thousands of these clones already in existence, especially how you expect people to pay you "fees" when so many already-established free services are available.

Do you have any unique angles? Any USP?

Here's a site we've been discussing recently, it gives a new angle on the online dating problem: http://www.howaboutwe.com/

My advice to you would be to find a technical co-founder (assuming you have some great business know-how they'd find valuable) or learn to code yourself.

i really dont see what is unique about that site you showed me? its seems to be that you check out a persons profile and message them so isnt that just the same? I have actually found a script other than the one i mention previous that just needs some tweaking on how a users profile information and images are displayed. i am not aware of any adult themed dating sites that are free? Also im planning on charging a very low price for each member and its my theory that that should cover hosting costs. Am i mistaken to assume that?

i really dont see what is unique about that site you showed me? its seems to be that you check out a persons profile and message them so isnt that just the same? I have actually found a script other than the one i mention previous that just needs some tweaking on how a users profile information and images are displayed. i am not aware of any adult themed dating sites that are free? Also im planning on charging a very low price for each member and its my theory that that should cover hosting costs. Am i mistaken to assume that?

The point being made is that a successful website isn't just about the technology. That's only a very small part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Your going to need users first. You have to spend money to make money. Also most users won't be interested / capable of paying for content, so you'll have to factor that in as well. Then the payment system for the small fee. More cost.

The best way to make money on the web is free content but paid advertising. Look at FaceBook, Google and Yahoo. THE biggest and most successful players on the net and all their content is free. The end user doesn't pay a cent, the advertisers do. Read in an article recently that when it comes to advertising FaceBook is a "high powered rifle" as it can match so specifically for an audience.

Hosting costs can be massive. If it took off at all, your looking at dedicated hosting which is very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ironclaw wrote: »
    Read in an article recently that when it comes to advertising FaceBook is a "high powered rifle" as it can match so specifically for an audience.

I certainly can't see Facebook's ads "matching specifically for an audience"; maybe matching specifically for an advertiser, but definitely not for me.

I've closed LOADS of irrelevant ads and they keep coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I certainly can't see Facebook's ads "matching specifically for an audience"; maybe matching specifically for an advertiser, but definitely not for me.

I've closed LOADS of irrelevant ads and they keep coming back.

I agree but the example was 19 year olds in a town in Texas who have mentioned "Nike" in their status / profile. They could tell exactly how often, how many click throughs and a whole host of data. I suppose its up the advertiser how specific they want to be.

Advertisement