Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma lens focusing...

• 18-12-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Ive recently acquired a brand spanking new sigma 18-50 2.8 ex macro lens. Ive heard that alot of sigma lenses in general have front / back focusing issues and their quality control aint the best. Its the first sigma ive bought so just wondering if you could tell me how to check if mines a dud and what to look out for.
    The place i got it have a few more in stock so changing it shouldnt be an issue.
    Also the warranty is blank. Should I have gotten them to stamp it or something?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a good few Sigma's over the years and never had any of these problems, I had a 70-300/18-50 f2.8/70-200 f2.8/30 f1.4/120-300 f2.8. The 18-50 was a superb lens and produced some great shots.

If your worried about it download a lens test chart and try that otherwise just keep taking pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Ive a 70-200 F2.8 and its tack sharp. Don't worry unless you have something to worry about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I've heard of this as well..where the actual focus point is more towards the front of the depth field rather than in the centre of it. Many new cameras can actually be "taught" to compensate for this on your own lens.. but I've not seen the testing regime to determine if it's a problem.. although I'd imagine it involves a focus test chart and some test shots, and measuring said test shots and feeding the camera the information.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

I have a 24 -70 2.8 and what a bag of ****e. It's rarely pin sharp. Terrible lens

Advertisement