Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen heating oil

Options
  • 18-12-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Just posting this to give folks the heads up. A friend of mine (older lady, early 60's) got her heating oil stolen TWICE in the last three weeks!! Just advising folk to find a way of securing their oil tank.

The theives often leave enough for a few days/week or two, so that folk don't notice it's gone and think 'gosh, I used up my oil awful quick'. So if you've used your heating oil up in a very short period of time, you may have been stung.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Scumbags, worst kind of thief's!:mad::mad::mad:

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

What area did that happen? Have a feeling we may have been bled as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Renmore, probably :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Happened my fiance's aunt in Barna, left enough for the rest of the week. She was away until Friday and the place was freezing, she had had the oil set but of course none in it. Scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

We had over a thousand litres taken earlier this year. We were away at the time and had the dogs with us. Purposely only order in smaller amounts now as a result; I know this costs a bit more but if my oil is going to be thieved again I would rather they got as little as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Can you claim off your house insurance of this happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

We put an L-shaped bar through the cap on the tank and a padlock on the other side of it, no more problems on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    We put an L-shaped bar through the cap on the tank and a padlock on the other side of it, no more problems on that front.

Er yea hangonaminute... doesn't everyone have the tank padlocked? Thought this wold be the S.O.P for anyone with the best part of a grand sitting in their back garden...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

why cant people put a cage or a fu||k off electric fence across the drum...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Er yea hangonaminute... doesn't everyone have the tank padlocked? Thought this wold be the S.O.P for anyone with the best part of a grand sitting in their back garden...

Yeah, problem with these determined scumbags is they will pierce a hole at the bottom of the tank and drain the oil out if they can get past a padlock, i have heard a number of people caught out like this!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Slightly diverging here but this is the very reason tackling crime is one of my top qualms when politicians come to my door. When you hear what happens these theives your blood boils, or what doesn't happen!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chopper40

My neighbour heard a noise in her garden a couple of weeks ago and looked out and there was a scumbag robbing her oil. She rang the cops and the said they'd radio the nearest copper in the vicinity. she was peeping out the window and the scumbags walky talky went iff!!! it was actually a copper stealing her oil. then he sneaked away and then came to the door and pretended nothin happened. the lady was elderly and too afraid to tell the cop what she had seen. then the dirty cop said he needed to take the barrels that he had already filled away as evidence and for finger printing and she hasnt heard word since!!! Its crazy

Chopper40 wrote: »
    My neighbour heard a noise in her garden a couple of weeks ago and looked out and there was a scumbag robbing her oil. She rang the cops and the said they'd radio the nearest copper in the vicinity. she was peeping out the window and the scumbags walky talky went iff!!! it was actually a copper stealing her oil. then he sneaked away and then came to the door and pretended nothin happened. the lady was elderly and too afraid to tell the cop what she had seen. then the dirty cop said he needed to take the barrels that he had already filled away as evidence and for finger printing and she hasnt heard word since!!! Its crazy

That sounds a bit OTT to be honest. A guard wouldnt need to go around robbing oil. Never think he might have had a scanner to hear any potential talk on the guards frequency?
    Slightly diverging here but this is the very reason tackling crime is one of my top qualms when politicians come to my door. When you hear what happens these theives your blood boils, or what doesn't happen!!!

I'd be the same but sadly unless you murder someone or are caught with a substantial amount of drugs your not going away for more then a year. Then you have the good behaviour crap that means they do HALF of what they were sentenced too.

Was reading the local paper last week, a taxi driver was pulled from his car and ''viciously'' beaten and your man got a suspended sentence mainly because he paid E1000 in compensation. That should be compulsory to avoid a DOUBLE sentence, and if they don't pay it, take it from their dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chopper40

its not OTT. its true. I'll give you the old ladies phone number if you want. you can ask her.I'll even give you her address and you can call around and investigate the tank yourself. ya never know maybe she'll give you a cup of tea and a McVities Hobnob

regarding the scanner idea, thats OTT. He was in uniform!!!!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Friends of mine had theirs stolen a few weeks back from Gaelcarraig park in westside. Behind Westside dunnes. Granted its not a great area (im too kind) but awful bástards who did it. They had only got a refill recently and all.

I wonder are they watching for the heating oil trucks going around, knowing that its payday when they rob that houses oil.
    I also wonder is there someone on the inside letting the scum know. The scum get free oil, while the supplier sells more oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I also wonder is there someone on the inside letting the scum know. The scum get free oil, while the supplier sells more oil.
    Should be easy enough to check, have anyone who has had their oil stolen tell us the supplier, if its 100% the same company you might be on to something. I kind of doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wait, she saw a "scumbag" stealing oil, his walkie talkie then went off and he then came around and called to the door in uniform?

That's pretty serious allegations you are posting there, has this been reported to Mill Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

its not OTT. its true. I'll give you the old ladies phone number if you want. you can ask her.I'll even give you her address and you can call around and investigate the tank yourself. ya never know maybe she'll give you a cup of tea and a McVities Hobnob

...a guard in uniform stealing oil?
    I didn't think things had got QUITE that bad in the public service yet:D

Seriously though, could you friend be a little confused about this? The most likely scenario would be that she spotted someone stealing oil,he had a radio scanner and heard the police were on route so dumped the oil barrel and the guards then arrived,found the oil and came to the door with it.

Its scary enough to think the thieves are slick enough to be monitoring police radio in the course of their crimes. However If there is a guard who is insane enough to be out committing crime in uniform in broad daylight we all have a lot more than our oil to worry about.

Incidently it is interesting about the radio scanner. The last two times I've got oil I've noticed the delivery guy has radio'ed it in to the office to confirm he'd delivered and to check that the oil was prepaid by laser card. Maybe someone is monitoring their radio communications to get the lowdown on who is getting oil that way.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yeah, problem with these determined scumbags is they will pierce a hole at the bottom of the tank and drain the oil out if they can get past a padlock, i have heard a number of people caught out like this!

Do they only steal small quantities? How do they take a tank load and get away with it? It's not like you could stash it under your arm.

In theory it should be easy enough to spot someone coming if they're planning to do this.There should be some obvious large gear like a drum required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Friends of mine had theirs stolen a few weeks back from Gaelcarraig park in westside. Behind Westside dunnes. Granted its not a great area (im too kind) but awful bástards who did it. They had only got a refill recently and all.

I wonder are they watching for the heating oil trucks going around, knowing that its payday when they rob that houses oil.

How did they get into the back garden? Only reason i ask is because the back alleys are gated off, or was it one of the houses backing on to Innishannagh because they have no alley to the back?

And as for you being "too kind" about describing Gaelcarraig/Westside, i for one have had it up to my eyeballs with people bad mouthing the area. I've lived here all my life and have never experienced any trouble.

Anyway back OT, people who steal heating oil should be shot with a ball of their own sh1té!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Sorry but that comes across as pure bull sh!t.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How did they get into the back garden? Only reason i ask is because the back alleys are gated off, or was it one of the houses backing on to Innishannagh because they have no alley to the back?

And as for you being "too kind" about describing Gaelcarraig/Westside, i for one have had it up to my eyeballs with people bad mouthing the area. I've lived here all my life and have never experienced any trouble.

Anyway back OT, people who steal heating oil should be shot with a ball of their own sh1té!

No idea about the back garden situ.

All I know is they got robben, my other buddy in Laurel park (or there abouts) got robbed about 6 weeks ago. Another guy got robbed in Greenview Heights about 2 years ago. There was one also about 2 years ago, something like a drug bust in her estate. Somewhere around laurel park, but im a bit sketchy on those details.

Thats all :rolleyes:, but then again, I dont think I know/knew anyone else who lived in that area so from my perspective its got a bad record. Living there all your life is probably different, id say they'd be quicker to rob some temporary nobody resisdent than someone whos been living there all their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I live in Westside and had oil robbed a couple of years ago. Good quantity they got also. I have the back garden secured and a 2 gates with padlocks locking off entry through the side of the house. So far this has worked thankfully. Total scumbags robbing oil, took long enough to get money together for it in my case that it boils my blood someone would come along and rob it.

Chopper40 - Your post is reminiscent of the crap you posted in the Mayo forum that Biko has now edited. Total spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

To answer the question about where her oil was stolen from, she lives in Gentian Hill, between Knocknacarra and Salthill so I don't think the remarks regarding one's address apply.

She also thought they might have been watching her house as they were back to steal the second lot very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Oil stolen from ours in Hazel Park - probably over the hols. Only noticed yesterday as I'd been slow to go turn the heating on after all the water froze and wanted to make sure everything else was in working order. We had no lock on the tank, and we're in an estate with neighbours on both sides and a row of houses facing our back yard. Tank would be fairly accessible just by jumping over the back wall and sticking a pipe in - there's even a handy road at the back wall of the house where one could park inconspicuously whilst subtly nabbing the oil.

Suppose I should report the incident to the Gardai, but I've no real interest in having them come out to the house - hopefully they'll tell me over the phone to put a lock on it, that they've heard from people with similar problems all over the city, and that I should keep an eye on it in future and let them know if anything like that happens again...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Why would you mind them coming to the house? Just wondering is there something I am missing. Would there be lots of student houses there? I wonder do they go more for better areas or otherwise? It's an awful thing to do regardless.

Ah no, I don't mind per se, it's just that it's not as though they'll be able to do anything anyway, and it just wastes both my time and theirs.
    And aye - at least half the houses are student houses, or at least rented, I'd say..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I wonder would they think they'd get away with it more then...nasty thing to do. We've three dogs, they'd leave limbless!!!

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ah no, I don't mind per se, it's just that it's not as though they'll be able to do anything anyway, and it just wastes both my time and theirs.
    And aye - at least half the houses are student houses, or at least rented, I'd say..

Sorry that happened to you.:o

For interests sake...
    Did you buy oil in the weeks before your oil was stolen ?
    Just wondering as several people in this thread felt oil was stolen shortly after they'd bought it.

• Advertisement

It was about two months, I reckon.
    Tbf, people will be more inclined to think "I'd only just bought the damned stuff" than "well.. I got a couple of months out of it" anyway - or even might not realise their oil had been pinched if they'd had it a reasonable length of time!

Advertisement