Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Using My Gas

Options
  • 18-12-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what ye think of this:

I moved into an apartment recently and the Landlord lives above us, it's completely separate with a different front and back door. When we were shown around the apartment we were told that there is a tumble-drier outside in a little shed that we would have use of.

We have only used the tumble drier a few times and I recently noticed that it is powered by gas which I found unusual! I then noticed that the gas pipe running to the back of the drier is connected directly to the gas pipe supplying gas to our gas heater. The apartment has it's own meter and I confirmed that the drier is using gas from our meter. There's also a washing machine in the room but that is powered by their electricity even though the drier and the light-bulb are powered from ours (I checked).

The last few times I've gone out to try to dry stuff, there have been different clothes in the drier so it's obviously being used regularly. If a gas drier is anything like an electric one then it's probably using a good bit of gas. The drier doesn't look very new either to say the least!

What do you guys think of this? Obviously going to have a word with the landlord but just want to hear a few opinions before I do!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eager_Beaver

Never heard of a dryer running off gas. Would double check if its definitely the case. If so, approach landlord calmly,but you are fully in the right.

Get some money back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Never heard of a dryer running off gas. Would double check if its definitely the case. If so, approach landlord calmly,but you are fully in the right.

Get some money back :D

I know I was sceptical of what I was seeing too at first! Link: http://laundry.about.com/od/laundryappliances/a/gasclothesdryer.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Driers do run off gas too.

Just talk to the landlord, say if you are paying the gas bill you'd like a small reduction in the rent for them using the drier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you also using the washing machine which runs off their electricity? If so, I'd call it even. If not then yes, a small rent reduction is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

silja wrote: »
    Are you also using the washing machine which runs off their electricity? If so, I'd call it even. If not then yes, a small rent reduction is in order.

No we have our own washing machine in the house, I should have mentioned that!
    How much of a reduction do ye think is fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I've never had gas anything, so no idea how much the average tumble dry run costs. It would also depend on how much they use it... ie if the landlord is by himself and uses it once a week, it may not even be worth making waves about it. If they're a family of 4 with two loads of washing a day, then you could ask for a good bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would agree with other posters calmly ask for reduction.

How much I am no sure... How much do your gas bills tend to be? How often do they use the dryer.

If he/she is not agreeable to this ask them to disconnect it from your gas.
    Bear in mind if they do this and you want to use it in the future there may be problems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking this is theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Victor wrote: »
    Strictly speaking this is theft.

That's what I was thinking - this is no different than them splicing a wire and robbing your electricity. Very dishonest not to make it clear to you that it is your gas used to power the dryer. Maybe thats why they said you had the use of it.

ps - never heard of gas powered dryers until today either - every day is a school day. The mighty Boards.ie again - the ultimate educator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

12 element wrote: »
    No we have our own washing machine in the house, I should have mentioned that!
    How much of a reduction do ye think is fair?

You should get it disconnected as you have no way of knowing how much he uses it. but try to get a refund for what he has already used although i dont know how you will work out a figure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

this landlord reminds me of an old landlord i used to have

he told us the refuse charge was included in the rent

we believed him

my flatmate got multiple fines by dublin city council for illegal dumping

(the landlord was illegally dumping the binbags in an alley behind the property and they found payslips with my flatnames name in the bag every week )

Advertisement