Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you stop believing in Santa?

• 18-12-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

When did you stop believing in Santa?
    I remember I was about 10 when my parents told me for sure but I always knew there was something wrong when I was 8 because I got a watch and it didn't work and my brother said we always have the receipt. I was like Santa gives receipts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

JUST NOW :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't remember ever believing in Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when i was around 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

From ages 9-11. I started to guess myself. I was always looking to find presents hidden somewhere. I got suspcious even when I were 7 or 8 that santa might not exist. I still believed in santa around 9-10 but had doubts. I always got what I wanted for Christmas! :) At 11 my mam was wondering if I should still believe in santa. I said I did, pretending I still believed in him thinking I'm still her baby girl but realised I had to grow up and stopped to believe in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

What? He's not real! :mad:

Thanks a lot OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

10/11 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I had my doubts for a few years previous, but i stopped believing at about 9 - i didn't tell my parents though, dragged it out a couple of years to get more pressies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was about 8, and found out in school. I nodded and smiled as if I knew all the time, but was heartbroken on the inside cos it was about 2 or 3 weeks before christmas.

It took the magic away from Christmas. Hasn't been the same since :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yiz bastards.

Think of the poor children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

When this thread was done last week.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

He was a real person

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

The current Images of Santa Claus were further popularized through Haddon Sundblom’s depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company’s Christmas advertising in the 1930s.The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company or that Santa wears red and white because they are the colors used to promote the Coca-Cola brand.

So all the Red Clothed Santa is Is a branding Exercise for Coca Cola.

HEre is the 1st image of santa in Red.

http://www.perfessorbill.com/nostalgia/hssanta.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Started to guess when I was about 8 or 9. Was in my very religious nan's house then the weekend before christmas. She liked me being the smart kid, so I asked
    "Nan do you believe in Santa?"
    Nan: "Well I believe in the spirit of Santa Claus."
    Me: "So he's not real then?"
    Nan: "Don't be a smart alec."
    Grandad: "If you're so smart you wont say anything."

And I didn't for another 3 years, until my brother asked for a Go-Kart. Everyone bar me and my dad had gone to Christmas Eve Mass. Im sitting downstairs when I hear a lot of banging and swearing. The dad shouts down the stairs
    "Mitch....do you believe in Santa?"
    Me: "Why?"
    Dad: "Dont be stupid, yes or no?"
    Me: "I'll answer if you tell me why."
    Dad: "....C'mere..."
    I go upstairs to find him halfway up a ladder with a huge Go-Kart half out of the attic, half in the attic and stuck.
    Dad: "Help me move this out to the shed. If theres any scratches, Santa had a test spin on it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've never stopped believing in the spirit of Santa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

When I was about 10 or 11 I think.

You're right, it does kind of ruin Christmas, its never the same.

I just wish now that I'd asked for loads more when I did believe, because my parents can just say no now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

WHAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

WHAT!

SANTAS NOT REAL!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

About 11 - when I got the football that came with the FIFA game when you bought it in XtraVision.-_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I had my doubts for a few years previous, but i stopped believing at about 9 - i didn't tell my parents though, dragged it out a couple of years to get more pressies

Did the same thing! Found out from a girl in school when I was 9. Questioned my mother about it that day and she lied to my face AGAIN. Then I realised that my older brothers always got less presents than me. So I pretended to believe and send long lists to Santa till my mother asked me when I was 13 if I still believed :pac:

Yeah it may have been selfish to ask for lots of presents when I knew my parents had to pay, but they deserved it for all their lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Don't stop believin'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I knew he didn't exist when I never got my Mr frosty : (
    Also price tags still left on pressies.
    Also in school I did the play along but broken inside thing. It all added up when I was around 8.
    I was amused by everyone still trying to prove his
    existance to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Don't worry kids, the OP is dyslexic, he really mean't satan.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Was about 11 I think when I knew for sure, got bikes for christmas and there had been some light snow was bike tracks from the front door to the boot of the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

When I realised it was an anagram of Satan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

8 or 9... found the my gameboy i was going to get for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

When I found all our Santa presents under my Grandfather's bed playing hide and seek with my sister! I was (and still am!) the oldest so still got the Santa pressies for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

18 :(

I still leave out a mince pie and a carrot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I was about 10 I think. A kid younger asked me one day if I believed in Santa and I said "no", and he asked me who I thought it was, and without ever really giving it any thought prior to that, I just guessed "your parents".
    Kept it going until I was 12 though, mother copped I knew at that stage but played along anways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If only that Journey tune was an Xmas song?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Never did.

I think the parents reasoning might have been something about not lieing to the kids, that claim of thiers falls down though as they still belive in the spaghetti monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

10. A girl in my class told me. Looking back before that though, I knew deep down from about seven/eight as there were so many signs, but I just denied it to myself. Initially I was gutted when told the truth, but not long after, felt really grown-up and "cool"... :cool:

Advertisement