Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equipment sizing for photoshoot of Large object

• 18-12-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

I'm currently preparing for a photo shoot in the new year of some
    commercial equipment which would be very large in the range of
    maybe 7' high by 7' long. it would be along the lines of this:
    rebuiltcat3508genset.jpg

and then probably in some sort of enclosure.

I have spent the day trying to find something that would be
    large enough for an infinity curve and so far the best I have
    seen is using rolls of painted lino. I was curious to see if anyone
    here had dealt with large backdrops before ?

I also have a similar problem with my flash set-up, I already have
    a 580ex and was tempted to adopt a strobist-type flash arrangement
    but was afraid that 2 x 580ex's and maybe a 480ex for lighting the background
    wouldn't have enough power to light the whole object. I'm
    thinking one of these kits would surely light the scene and at least I
    wouldn't have to worry about batteries. :)

What do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Maybe try anything with a consistent colour and cut the machinery out of it? cheap sheets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

For the background, what about one of these giant Vinyl rolls from Bessel?

As for lighting it I would approach it in one of the following ways.

1) Huge srim over the top with large lights firing into the scrim to diffuse the light all around the machine. You will probably need some large white panels/reflectors around the sides/rear/front to add fill. Something similar is shown here.

2) Using your current equipment (and photoshop) take 10-20 shots, each shot you point one of the flashes at a differnt part of the machine. Then combine the shots in photoshop to get the whole thing lit. The camera would have to be on a tripod and not move at all during the exposures.

3) Giant grided softbox (off to one side)for the main. A light on the background. Another one or two in strip boxes at the rear on either side to act as rim lights. And maybe a final one high and in the front.

The lights are just Chinese junk ones, I would be weary of getting them. Maybe try Elemental or Lencarta (yes I know they are Chinese made too but they are not as junkie :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Borderfox wrote: »
    Maybe try anything with a consistent colour and cut the machinery out of it? cheap sheets

I find that cheap sheets are awful for that. The shadows and what not due to light getting through some parts and not others makes it really difficult to cut out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

why not rent a 2 head Bowens kit? A lot more powerful than a few strobes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

alexlyons wrote: »
    I find that cheap sheets are awful for that. The shadows and what not due to light getting through some parts and not others makes it really difficult to cut out.

Make sure they are green or another colour that is not in the machinery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

How about a long exposure at night and use multiple flash bursts around the machine over 30seconds?

Advertisement