Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield BC2 vietman crash to desktop

Options
  • 18-12-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Got vietnam and played for about 10 mins before it kicked me to get punkbuster update.

Tried that and since then been crashing to desktop. I click play game from steam, it loads a white box and then boom, crashed.

Really ****ing freaked, was looking forward to it, all my mates playing it. There is literally 101 different solutions and I've tried them all with no joy

I'm using an ATI card and direct x11, tried setting it to direct x9, tried updating drivers and tried changing loads of ****.

Anyone got any insight into what the hell is happening?

Never had this problem before but it really is a serious problem for me :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I hate it when this **** happens.....what drivers you using mate....the latest ones are 10.12 but I did not like them. So I am back to 10.11, did you verify the steam cache files? I bet they fine but worth the look.

Will the game run in windowed mode for you try that, just to see if it will launch.

O yeah is it retail or steam bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Steam bought

Uninstalled, reinstalled seems to be ok

But getting a punkbuster issue

When I tried updating it, troubles happend, my PB doesnt seem to auto update, any help?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

TheDoc wrote: »
    Steam bought

Uninstalled, reinstalled seems to be ok

But getting a punkbuster issue

When I tried updating it, troubles happend, my PB doesnt seem to auto update, any help?

I've always updated it manually, I've never found the auto-update to work properly.

Yeah I posted this on another post....I always auto update too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'd been running my PC on vista without any issues, I've since upgraded to win 7, I've had nothing but driver issues since. Vista used to run fine, but now win 7 seems to have issues even with my USB etc, what a crap piece of software.

Almost tempted to reinstall vista, I have had those issues with BC2 crashing to desktop but a reboot seems to fix it. When 7 came out everyone was saying great things but to me it looks like they break more than they fix with each new edition.

And for those that still think Microsoft actually write good software, I present IE8, you lose the argument, I win!:D

• Advertisement

Hate to disagree mate....but win7 is much better then vista. ROCK SOLID in fact....well for me anyway.

Its obviously a driver conflict you are having, and going from one O/s to another is giving you grief.

I know the 1st thing peeps saying is get the latest drivers but have you got them for the mobo and bios.....did you do a full format on all HDD. You are getting a stupid conflict somewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Hate to disagree mate....but win7 is much better then vista. ROCK SOLID in fact....well for me anyway.

Its obviously a driver conflict you are having, and going from one O/s to another is giving you grief.

I know the 1st thing peeps saying is get the latest drivers but have you got them for the mobo and bios.....did you do a full format on all HDD. You are getting a stupid conflict somewhere.....

Yes yes, I've got all the drivers blah blah etc etc :D as a .NET programmer I'm pretty much dealing with windows related issues on a daily basis. memory leakage, handles kept on resources, users being dropped by the system I could go on ..and on..and on :rolleyes:

But I'm glad you are happy with it, me I've only had to reformat and reinstall windows7 3 times so far, never had that issue before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yes yes, I've got all the drivers blah blah etc etc :D as a .NET programmer I'm pretty much dealing with windows related issues on a daily basis. memory leakage, handles kept on resources, users being dropped by the system I could go on ..and on..and on :rolleyes:

But I'm glad you are happy with it, me I've only had to reformat and reinstall windows7 3 times so far, never had that issue before.

You're doing something wrong!

I had Vista 64bit since about 2005, and had it running perfectly no issues at all until it launched in 2007. Fully updated Vista is a pretty decent OS - far better than XP IMO - more stable, quicker etc

Win 7 built on that, and I have to say, to date, Win 7 is my favourite, most stable OS. I've never had a driver issue with it (unless it was something specific to the OEM who distributed the driver).

If its your USB thats messing up etc - ensure you have all of your chipset drivers up to date. Go into device manager and check that your driver is not the generic MS one.

Do you know if there are any specific issues relating to Win 7 and the drivers for your motherboard?

Oh, and your little jibe about IE8 is not fair on MS at all! IE in general is crap I agree. I always use FF.

But think about the fact that they create OS's that 99% of the time work flawlessly with 1000's of hardware combinations, from new to old hardware, 1000's of driver combinations, 1000's of API's supported etc etc In fact, what MS have done with their OS is quite astounding. Just look at OSX where pretty much every piece of software has to be 'approved' before going on the shelf.

Shooter,

Think about it, you were playing fine for weeks then all of a sudden BANG!!! BFBC2 stopped workin....it has to be a software conflict or something stupid. Can you use system restore to go back a few weeks maybe.....

BTW, stop playing that QUAKE CRAP its wrecking your PC......:eek: :p

You could be on to something there. It could be the fact hat your pc is happily playing the simple quake engine, then when BC2 is loaded up it has a crap haemorrhage!!

Seriously though - have you installed any Windows updates lately? I think Wonda had an issue the other day with a new Windows update causing issues....

• Advertisement

Dubs,

Are you still on that VISTA...? Or did ya get sorted back to Win7.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dubs,

Are you still on that VISTA...? Or did ya get sorted back to Win7.

Vista was only for that night. Been back on 7 since the next day! Thats how I hadn't got the settings etc for TS the other night

TBH...this seems to be a bigger problem then just a few peeps. My mate has a brand new build and has this problem too. Game loads up and secs later CTD....everyone I know with this problem has an nVidia GPU :eek::eek: Strange!

Must be something to it, I would roll back a driver and see if this helps. Also I would deffo try to run the game in DX9 and DX10 modes just to see.

I have nvidia GPU and DX11 and have not had one yet... :confused:

I dont mean that everyone WITH a nvidia GPU has the problem! I mean the peeps who are experiencing the problem all have nvidia hardware...:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A new server build, R28, went out yesterday which does fix some CTD's.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/bc2-vietnam-pc/1384250-quick-fix-vietnam.html

Advertisement