Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucd and jstor

Options
  • 18-12-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Do we get any sort of access/preview account to jstor with UCD? I can see UCD in the list of faculties, anyone know if there are some kind of universal log in details for ucd students? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

Yeah, you can get journals off Jstor using the Athens Login, just use your UCD Connect details.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

My connect log in doesn't work, i tried my connect, sis and original (date of birth) log in with no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There is definitely access to JSTOR, there is some error somewhere in your method. Are you trying to connect via the library page on Connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You have to be authenticated at UCD before JStor will let you in. The Athens Login option is supposed to do that, but I just got in by doing the following:
    • go to UCD Library Search, select Login (lower right) and enter your normal UCD Connect details;
    • select Databases, J, then JStor, and you're in.
    JStor itself won't say you're logged in, but that's fine - you get in because your requests are going through the UCD library proxy server. You can see this in the URL, which starts http://www.jstor.org.eproxy.ucd.ie ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

went to login, selected ireland then ucd and then login. which takes me to the athens login page, i attempted to login with my ucd details and it says login error. I'm tryin the login via ucd library approach now, is there a link on the library site somewhere?

• Advertisement

Got it, G'job! Cheers for the replies. Let the par-tay(study) begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

jripper wrote: »
    went to login, selected ireland then ucd and then login. which takes me to the athens login page, i attempted to login with my ucd details and it says login error. I'm tryin the login via ucd library approach now, is there a link on the library site somewhere?

You need to search for it via the UCD library portal as the above poster says. Whenever you are looking to get access to a journal, you should search through the library. That is why UCD pay so much money for the databases!

Maybe if you are unfamiliar with using the library's online facilities you should drop into the library and talk to the staff there.

Edit: I see you have found it! The library would be a good place to visit though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The thing is - I have used the Athens Login process successfully before, it just doesn't seem be working with JStor tonight. But going in through the UCD Library is usually the best way, I find.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mk1600

.eproxy.ucd.ie

Post this after the main link(.eproxy.ucd.ie), don't know how to say this in computer terms, but say you want a paper from nature www.nature.com paste the above(.eproxy.ucd.ie)(www.nature.com.eproxy.ucd.ie....some paper code) and bam you will get what your looking for. I find it much easier than going through the library, pain in the arse.

Advertisement