Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to cook chicken breasts

Options
  • 18-12-2010 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

how would you cook chicken breasts in the oven. would i just put a small bit of cooking oil in the dish and put them in top and bobs your uncle. what temp should they be (180oc?) and how long will they take, should i turn them at any stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

thats about it for the basic way, although you could coat them in oil and season with salt & pepper or garlic or whatever.

I'd turn oven down to 160 for 20 mins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's always best to flatten them out before cooking so that the entire breast is the same thickness. Means it'll all be cooked evenly which doesn't always happen if one part is an inch thick and one part is only a cm thick. Helps with keeping flavour in too.

Cover it in clingfilm and batter it with a frying pan a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

They get very dry and uninteresting cooking them plain jane in the oven. Stripping them up and stir frying them with veggies make them a hell of a lot more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

If the skin is still on, 180 C is fine for about 20-25 mins and increase it to 220 C for about 10 mins at the end to crisp d skin.
    If there is no skin I usually do 170-180 for 25-30 mins.
    I generally don't cook chicken breasts in the oven without adding something extra; either some sort of marinade or my favourite, simply coat the chicken in breadcrumbs and cut a pocket to fill with raw finely chopped garlic and garlic butter. amazing :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here's my suggestion - slice them down the side so you have two from each breast, slap them in flour then egg then breadcrumbs and fry them - much tastier. If that doesn't appeal score the breast and fill the opening with mustard/butter mix and wrap in streaky bacon, fry both sides until part cooked then cook in top oven for 15 mins at 200C

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056118922

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

A couple I like:

Cut chicken breasts in half. Wrap each one with a rasher. Pour honey over them, pop in oven.
    Or
    salt and paprika over breast. Cover with loads of fresh basil leaves and then mozzarella cheese.
    Pop in oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It is easy peasy. :-) The basic premise of 20-25mins in an oven stands, if you have very thick fillets, maybe you will need an extra few minutes.

For extra flavour, why not put the breasts into a container, add (for example) chopped tomatos and basil, or dollop of plain yoghurt and curry powder, or chopped garlic and lemon. Mix up well with the chicken and leave in fridge overnight if possible. Then bung in oven the following day. Deelish and easy to do. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

How would you go about grilling them? I've seen my brother butterfly them, cover in soy sauce and grill which made them quite nice. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

For a quick dinner, I always use this recipe for quick and easy chicken breasts in the oven.

Put them in a shallow oven dish (I use a pyrex one)
    Sprinkle with olive oil, a dash of white wine, some fresh thyme and halved baby tomatoes.. It is very tasty, not really any sauce but it is so tasty!

I normally serve with homemade potato wedges (baby spuds cut in 4 seasoned with oil, salt and pepper and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

I'm getting hungry reading this thread...
    so on the chicken breast topic...if I was to make some kind of chilli chicken, is it better to marinate the chicken in oil and chilli flakes mix, or just coat the chicken breasts before putting them in the oven? If I have the chilli flake/oil combo wrong, can anyone tell me how they would do chilli chicken? Would olive oil work? Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement