Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire out of space

• 18-12-2010 7:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I keep getting the out of space message on my Desire - it won't even download new emails sometimes. I really don't have that many applications installed. I can empty the browser cache which helped the first time, but what else can I do? I'm on 2.1 - not sure how to move stuff to sd card etc, can anyone help?
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Install a file manager to see what's using the space. Move apps to your SD card.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry I'm a such a noob but is there any guide I can find online that walks me through this process?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Constantly having the same problem myself as well on 2.2. Have any apps I can moved to the SD card as well.

This morning I had about 16Mb free, a bunch of apps came up saying there were new versions available, let them all update, then it said I only had 2Mb free so have had to uninstall some apps again. No idea which one has gone and grabbed thhe extra space.

The various Googles apps really should be installable to the SD card, the maps, gmail reader, tasks, end up taking loads of space themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Zascar wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a such a noob but is there any guide I can find online that walks me through this process?

Not sure if this works on Android 2.1, but on Android 2.2:

select Settings, Applications, Manage Applications

Go through each one and see whether it has "Move to SD card" active in the centre of the screen. Some applications will have, some won't. For those that do, click on "Move to SD card"

When the Application has moved, back arrow and select each Application in sequence until you've gone through them all. That should give you a bit of extra space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

kesey wrote: »

Go through each one and see whether it has "Move to SD card" active in the centre of the screen. Some applications will have, some won't. For those that do, click on "Move to SD card"

When the Application has moved, back arrow and select each Application in sequence until you've gone through them all. That should give you a bit of extra space.

I think that is a 2.2 feature but I'm not certain.

If you are willing to do a bit of fiddling around you can solve this problem relatively easily by installing a custom ROM from xda-developers.com or another developer site which allows apps2sd on it. This is a feature that allows you to split (partition) your SD card into two sections, one which the phone recognises as internal memory (therefore increaseing your internal memory) and one which the phone recognises as the external SD card. It works brilliantly and I now have as many apps installed as I want and I still have 300mb free internal storage :-)

There are loads of guides online to help you do this and I found theunlockr.com had some very good walkthroughs of how to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Meanwhile......

Nexus S out in space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

There is a nobbs guide here http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/174345-how-move-apps-sd-card-unrooted-device-noobs-guide.html and its will not require you to root the phone.
    But its only for 2.2

O.P.
    how come your Desire is still 2.1 - can you get Froyo installed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well, When I got it - it had 2.1. I rooted it which worked fine, I was able to use Rom Manager and Market Access etc - however I was unable to put any other ROM's on. I tried loads of things, followed so many guides online etc - but every time I tried, I would just get an error upon restart - the new ROM would not install. I even got the notification that 2.2 was available as a native upgrade, but got the same error upon restart. I nervous about doing serious damage and it works ok on 2.1 so I've just stuck with it. I'm waiting until I can find someone who I can throw a few quid to and they can just so it for me. Or unless there is some way I can do a restore to factory settings and get the 2.2 upgrade that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I used to run in that problem a lot but since moving a custom ROM, it's ceased to be an issue. Currently according to appbrian I've 93 apps installed & still have 66Mb free internal phone storage.

My guess is that's the apps2sd feature at work. Maybe a bit of a drastic solution but it does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Zascar wrote: »
    Well, When I got it - it had 2.1. I rooted it which worked fine, I was able to use Rom Manager and Market Access etc - however I was unable to put any other ROM's on. I tried loads of things, followed so many guides online etc - but every time I tried, I would just get an error upon restart - the new ROM would not install. I even got the notification that 2.2 was available as a native upgrade, but got the same error upon restart. I nervous about doing serious damage and it works ok on 2.1 so I've just stuck with it. I'm waiting until I can find someone who I can throw a few quid to and they can just so it for me. Or unless there is some way I can do a restore to factory settings and get the 2.2 upgrade that way?

Once you root your phone you don't get the over the air upgrades (i.e the native upgrade won't work).

Is the error message you get when you try to load a new ROM using ROM manager an exclamation point on the screen? If so just press the power button (i think) and it will bypass this error message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

kesey wrote: »

There are a few aps that will help you with this, e.g. apps 2 sd.

I've noticed some issues with update failures for apps that are on the SD.

Advertisement