Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragic accident in Dunleer.

Options
  • 18-12-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Very sad news indeed,thoughts and prayers with the surviving family,

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/woman-and-son-killed-in-louth-crash-486220.html

A 35-year-old woman and her 10-year-old son were killed in a crash in Co Louth this afternoon, while a 11-year-old girl was critically injured.

The single-vehicle collision took place around 2.30pm at Cangy, Dunleer, on the old M1, south of Castlebellingham. It is believed the car struck a wall.

The woman was a front-seat passenger in the car.

The woman's husband, believed to be in his 30s was driving the car. This man as well as two other children, a 4-year-old daughter of the couple, and an unrelated 11-year-old girl, were taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda.

The 11-year-old female passenger is believed to be in a critical condition.

The road at the scene of the crash is closed pending an exanination of the area by Garda Forensic Collision Investigators. Diversions are in place

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

god, thought and tears for this poor family.... My children are the same age and it is heart ripping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I assume they mean the old N1 rather than the old M1 because if someone hit a wall on a motorway there's something majorly wrong with how they're designed.

RIP anyway, horrible to hear about these things even without imagining what it's like for those affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the roads where really bad around dunleer today , we took an awful spin there today.... god love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Such a tragedy - it's heartbreaking.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can't begin to imagine how hard it is for the father.

Condolences to the family & friends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Horrific :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Drive that stretch of road daily and it was very slippery last night. Very sad news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What stretch of road was it on? I thought the road further out of Dunleer to Castlebellingham was completely straight for half the distance? It's awfully shocking to hear something like this happen to a family in a car, and their poor relations are going to have a tough time this Christmas:(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Smokecloak

R.I.P Very sad indeed. Tragic.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Very tragic, the family were Romanian and are living in Dunleer for a few years, kids all attend the local national school.
    It happened today at 2.30pm approx between Dorians and the roundabout at Mooremount, very straight part of the road but it was treacherous with black ice today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Tragic. This happened just a few hundred yards from my home. That road was very slippy yesterday - but they were desperately unlucky as that wee bit of a bridge is the only wall for at least a mile long stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The road is covered in snow today and very treacherous. You'd think they would have gritted it after the accident. It wasn't the bridge they hit, it was the stone wall beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

All those small trees on that stretch and they hit the tiny bit of wall :(

I lived down the street from the family for a while and they seemed pleasant enough. Hope the surviving kiddies will make a speedy recovery. Just desperate.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

did you hear on the newss the county council said they put salt on the road a few weeks ago, ffs its not good enough... i always thought that you where not allowed to have a gateway on to a motorway, why is there a house entrance there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

The road where the accident happened is not a motorway - the news reports are incorrectly calling the road the (old) M1, when it's the R132 (used to be the N1 which didn't have motorway status).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah it's just lazy journalism. I don't think it has an official regional road name as the R132 now joins it 100 metres further north. It's all by the by though, some family were very unlucky in this weather and my prayers go out to them.

I have to say though, even if the council have no salt surely they could have put down grit if there was just ice and no snow on the road at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The guy that is over the NRA said at the start of the week, that there would be no gritting done on minor roads over this period, because stock levels had run low.That followed from a promise last year that this situation would never arise again!!!

Deepest sympathy to all involved in this terrible tragedy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

My sincerest sympathies to those that have lost loved ones in this terrible accident.

Folks, posts deleted. There's no point speculating on the unknown so please don't. This thread is here to offer condolences to those that have lost love ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Jesus & Mary be with them in this difficult time. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Was talking to someone who came on this scene within seconds of it happening... unfortunately no one was wearing a seat belt. A lesson to the rest of us!

Absolute tragedy at any time of year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement