Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work / Internship in America Summer(Need help)

Options
  • 18-12-2010 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Thinking about going to America for a month in the summer, for work / Internship

Just need a rough idea of prices and things I need to apply for

what order you would do it

e.g

Internship
    Visa
    Apartment
    Flights
    Etc.

Any other input would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Are you looking for the J1? I'm assuming you have recently graduated from college or are still a student? This is a requirement for the visa.

If you want to go next summer I would suggest booking your visa soon. Depending on the company, they usually book the flights with the visa so you could do it as early as now if you know your dates. When I took my first visa, I was searching for jobs and accommodation for months before going and still found difficulty getting anything, although that depends on where you're going. I would suggest looking for an Irish community in the area you want to go to, they can be very helpful and resourceful for accommodation and jobs.

Anyway, the first thing to do is to check if you are eligible for a visa and start booking that. You can usually pay for it in installments so the earlier you book it the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Yes I am currently at college, I want to get a job / internship sorted before I go so after that I'll apply for the visa.

What are the chances of not getting it?

Is there a date it has to be in by?(if you want to go summer 2011)?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

DMG_49 wrote: »
    Yes I am currently at college, I want to get a job / internship sorted before I go so after that I'll apply for the visa.

It's going to be very difficult to get a job before you are actually in the US. As for an internship what kind of thing are you looking for?

Something along the lines of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

What have you done so far in looking for an internship? Does it need to be paid?

• Advertisement

I am looking to get away some where for the summer.

2 birds and 1 stone kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You'll have great difficulty finding an internship for just one month and frankly, not sure the visa fees would be worth it. You may be better off just visiting for the month on the VWP and not working.

Yeah was thinking of that, might have a better chance going to england

Advertisement