Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulls have no stomach for drink as potato diet turns into poitín

• 18-12-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1218/1224285837881.html?via=mr
    Bulls have no stomach for drink as potato diet turns into poitín
    SEÁN Mac CONNELL, Agriculture Correspondent

WHAT DO you do with a drunken 800kg bull which has decided to celebrate Christmas early by making his own poitín?

You suffer, according to Ashbourne, Co Meath-based veterinarian Peadar O’Scanaill, who has had to deal with not one but two drunken bulls recently.

The problem has arisen because the price of potatoes has dropped in the Meath/Louth area and some farmers are feeding them pulped to livestock.

“The rumen of a bull is a large fermentation vat where the starch of the potatoes mixed with its sugars, turns into alcohol,” he said.

Such conditions were perfect for making poitín and that is what happened in this case.

“In the first case I dealt with I was called out when the bull had fallen on his side and was badly bloated. The rumen could not handle the change of diet and normal gas release did not happen,” he said.

“He was drunk or very badly hungover or both and I had to put a tube down the nose to release the gas pressure on the rumen.”

But his problems did not end there because it was necessary to get plenty of fluids into the animal which weighed 800kg.

That meant, he said, finding 80 litres of water or fluid to have any prospect of saving the animal, a difficult job when water pipes were all frozen.

The second bull had broken into a potato shed before stuffing himself to the point where one of the spuds got stuck in his throat, stopping the release of gas. The vet removed the potato and the gas was released.

Mr O’Scanaill says farmers should mix pulped potatoes with grains and other feed when feeding to cattle.

“It’s perfectly safe to feed potatoes or other surplus vegetables to cattle but with potatoes you have to be very careful, as I know,” he said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sounds like a doggy vet if does not know the differance between fermentation and distaliation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Imagine getting drunk on potatoes. I wonder if that's where the Irish got their name :eek:

Back of course when our appendix was a second stomach as some argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

oblivious wrote: »
    Sounds like a doggy vet
    Nope, it was a bully vet.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Victor wrote: »
    Nope, it was a bully vet.

:pac:

:D

Advertisement