Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limousin Bulls Muscle Scores

• 18-12-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could find out the bull with the highest muscle score? I have checked the AI bulls and the highest is Vivaldi with 138 but is there anywhere I can find out the highest of all bulls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

The highest scored Limousin bull is Milou-MN (MXM) with a score of 146. Vivaldi is in 8th place overall.

Just go to the On-line Herdbook on the Irish Limousin Webpage and do a search under muscle (choose >124). Sort then according to muscle (Click on Mus on the 3rd last column.

http://193.120.218.17/taurus/herdbook/index.php?org_code=LM

See attached results;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

pakalasa wrote: »
    The highest scored Limousin bull is Milou-MN (MXM) with a score of 146. Vivaldi is in 8th place overall.

Just go to the On-line Herdbook on the Irish Limousin Webpage and do a search under muscle (choose >124). Sort then according to muscle (Click on Mus on the 3rd last column.

http://193.120.218.17/taurus/herdbook/index.php?org_code=LM

See attached results;

Thanks for that, just wondering as I have a bull with a score of 143 so just wanted an idea how good/bad that would be

What's his breeding?
    Any chance of a few photos?

What's his breeding?
    Any chance of a few photos?

sire is rocky and ideal23 breeding on the cows side, search for Meenross Frosty on the herdbook

will try and put up a few photos this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

sire is rocky and ideal23 breeding on the cows side, search for Meenross Frosty on the herdbook

looks the business, you bought the dam from Donal?

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »
    looks the business, you bought the dam from Donal?

ya, she is a good one alright, first calf sold for €3000 in roscrea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Thanks for that, just wondering as I have a bull with a score of 143 so just wanted an idea how good/bad that would be
    is the muscle score that you are talking about on the bull or what the muscle that the bull can pass on to his calves if you know what i mean .

It's the later, the genetic value it is likely to pass on to it's offspring.

BLUP - MUSCULAR DEVELOPMENT:
    Used to estimate the ability of the bull to transmit high muscling ability and shape to his progeny

The reliability (%) of an index is based on a number of factors;
    - the amount of information from the animal itself
    - the amount of information from the relatives of the animal
    - the heritability of the traits
    - the genetic correlations between traits
    - the size and genetics within the contemporary group
    From
    http://www.irishlimousin.com/html/understanding_indexes.html

hope this works, photos arent great

he was 502kg when he was scored and he was 9 months old then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Looks the business. I wouldn't mind having a cow with his dam's breeding.

• Advertisement

Looks the business. I wouldn't mind having a cow with his dam's breeding.

ya she is a great cow to be fair, im only starting out and its good to have one so good to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nutcase

ya she is a great cow to be fair, im only starting out and its good to have one so good to start with

how much did you pay for a good cow like here 2 start with if ye dont mind me askin MM??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

SBV value €198
    wow thats must highest value ive seen on a bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Are you feeding him inside?? I have my fellow outside and he has a lovely coat of hair, is very clean and doing quite well. When he was scored at 9 months he was 565kg but he doesn't have scores any way as good as yours.

When do you plan selling him?

Hopefully my fellow will be sold in the February or March sales.

Nutcase wrote: »
    how much did you pay for a good cow like here 2 start with if ye dont mind me askin MM??

paid 5000, she was incalf to Sympa and her time was up. wouldnt pay that these days, prices down alot over the last 18 months or so

I bought at the wrong time and sold at the wrong time:rolleyes:

reilig wrote: »
    Are you feeding him inside?? I have my fellow outside and he has a lovely coat of hair, is very clean and doing quite well. When he was scored at 9 months he was 565kg but he doesn't have scores any way as good as yours.

When do you plan selling him?

Hopefully my fellow will be sold in the February or March sales.

he is inside but we let him out for a couple of hours most days

planning on bringing him to Roscrea in March all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nutcase

paid 5000, she was incalf to Sympa and her time was up. wouldnt pay that these days, prices down alot over the last 18 months or so

I bought at the wrong time and sold at the wrong time:rolleyes:

that was a rite price alright i suppose its worth it though if shes producing calves with figures like that.. I noticed some on done deal a few months ago maiden heifers were around €2000 looked like nice heifers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

It's the later, the genetic value it is likely to pass on to it's offspring.

BLUP - MUSCULAR DEVELOPMENT:
    Used to estimate the ability of the bull to transmit high muscling ability and shape to his progeny

The reliability (%) of an index is based on a number of factors;
    - the amount of information from the animal itself
    - the amount of information from the relatives of the animal
    - the heritability of the traits
    - the genetic correlations between traits
    - the size and genetics within the contemporary group
    From
    http://www.irishlimousin.com/html/understanding_indexes.html

I am changing bulls at present and looking to buy a limousin. I sell off all weanlings so am looking for a bull that will produce nice muscled calves. What should I be looking to place most emphasis on the scoring, should it be an overall score for SBV or a high BLUP? as I see some bulls have a high SBV but a low enough BLUP

I am changing bulls at present and looking to buy a limousin. I sell off all weanlings so am looking for a bull that will produce nice muscled calves. What should I be looking to place most emphasis on the scoring, should it be an overall score for SBV or a high BLUP? as I see some bulls have a high SBV but a low enough BLUP
    If you're selling off ALL your weanlings then firstly look at the weanling value for the bull on the ICBF site. Secondly look at the BLUP values. It depends on what type of cows you have. If they tend to be lacking in muscle but have plenty of frame, then go with a high muscle value. If they lack frame, but are fine for muscle, then pay more attention to the Skelatal value. Very generic, I know, but that's what they reccomend. Forget about SBV, it's all the sub-indexes lumped into one, so better to concentrate soley on the weanling index, if you're selling weanlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Thanks Pakalasa.

Yes cows with have a good frame but lack muscle.

Any good bulls within Limousin to watch for that produce good muscle?

• Advertisement

Thanks Pakalasa.

Yes cows with have a good frame but lack muscle.

Any good bulls within Limousin to watch for that produce good muscle?
    Bulls in AI such as;
    Rocky - (ROX) Muscle BLUP - 122
    ARDLEA DAN - (ADX) Muscle BLUP - 129
    Vivaldi - (VIV) Muscle BLUP - 136
    SYMPA - (SYP) Muscle BLUP - 128

There are loads really. Watch calving figures too. High muscle bulls tend to be hard calving.

there is a sale in Roscrea on 31st October, you will have plenty of choice there, might be bringing 1 myself all going well

Advertisement