Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help appreciated

• 18-12-2010 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

I've decided I'm going to cancel Sky and I'm unsure of what to replace it with, so any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated.

I've been told that if I get a motorised dish and a box I would receive a lot of channels. Is this the case? Surely any good foreign channels would be encrypted.

Its either a choice between getting a motorised dish and box (I think its called a Pixar) which will cost around 300E or just get Freesat. But I think you'd get that (Freesat) with a motorised dish anyway, any suggestions?

And assuming I got this motorised dish up and set top box, would I get many channels that had football, English language channels etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

Hello. A motorised dish will pickup a lot of channels but the vast majority of the free stuff is rubbish. A bit the same as Sky eg 200+ free but nearly all are ads and crap. The only one I can think of with english is 26east MBC, which has about 7 movie channels in english for free. Other than that not much else for free in english for free.
    You should get a Branded Freesat HD PVR. It'll cost about the same as a motorised setup but for what you want it's perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

tomslick wrote: »
    Hello. A motorised dish will pickup a lot of channels but the vast majority of the free stuff is rubbish. A bit the same as Sky eg 200+ free but nearly all are ads and crap. The only one I can think of with english is 26east MBC, which has about 7 movie channels in english for free. Other than that not much else for free in english for free.
    You should get a Branded Freesat HD PVR. It'll cost about the same as a motorised setup but for what you want it's perfect.

Thanks mate! :)

So just to be clear, if I went ahead and got this system of a box and motorised dish, I would receive virtually nothing in terms of English? The guy in the store I went to said anyone who got it ''swore by it'' but I was cynical 'cos any foreign channels with Football would be encrypted.

Regarding the Freesat, do you mean it would have to be an official freesat box and have the logo on the box cover etc or would any box the picks up Freesat suffice? By the way, what does the 'PVR' satnd for whan you said Freesat HD PVR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Official Freesat HD. The Generic boxes aren't worth it For FTA UK TV

PVR = Personal Video Recorder. A set-box with dual tuners and built in Hard Drive. Records signal as is, so playback is live quality. Some can "save" to BDR (Blu Ray Recordable). Budget pseudo PVRs have one tuner and a USB host port for your USB stick or USB HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is the Edision argus a freesat HD box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

Seen something but need some more info from people on here.

A guy said he could put in foreign satellite for me. I would use 3 dishes (around the same size as the standard sky dish) but it would be connected top my broadband :confused:

If the broadband goes off, all the channels barring the freesat goes off.

Couple of question's
    • Would a standard size dish be appropriate at getting foreign channels?
    • When I seen a demonstration, although the picture quality was good, there appeared to be a little interference when you were changing the channel, why?
    • Would this effect my broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's stealing Satellite PayTV by Internet Card Sharing. Illegal in Ireland.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0024/sec0009.html#zza24y1990s9
    Prohibition on interception of services.

9.—(1) No person, other than a duly authorised officer of the
    Minister, shall, in relation to a service provided by a licensee or a
    service provider—

( a ) intercept the service,

( b ) suffer or permit or do any other thing that enables such interception by any person,

( c ) possess, manufacture, assemble, import, supply, or offer to supply,
    any equipment which is designed or adapted to be used for the purpose of
    enabling such interception by any person, or

( d ) publish information with the intention of assisting or enabling any person to intercept such a service.

(2) No person shall—

( a ) knowingly instal or attempt to instal or maintain any equipment which
    is capable of being used or designed or adapted to be used for the
    purpose of enabling such interception by any person, or

( b ) wilfully damage or attempt to damage a system or part of a system operated by a licensee or service provider.

(3) A person who contravenes any provision of subsection (1) or (2) shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) In this section "intercept" in relation to a service means
    receive, view, listen to, record by any means or acquire the substance
    or purport of the service or part thereof supplied by a licensee or
    service provider without the agreement of the licensee or service
    provider.

You can get any Free Foreign TV you like
    Some Pay TV that is Foreign will sell subscriptions here (Sky is actually really Foreign pay TV)
    See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=622

Advertisement