Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exercising the glass

• 18-12-2010 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

So I just bought a wad of new photo gear (Canon EOS 550d), somewhat unexpectedly, but anyway its cost me a fair bit so I want to make absolutely sure I make full use of this camera instead of letting it rot like others before it.

Can anyone recommend some good subjects? Bearing in mind I'm a novice so I'm looking for good practice and maybe a bit of a challenge, but nothing too challenging.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Do what i did and still do,

depending on what humour im in, i think right what are the main categories of photography,

Macro, landscape, portrait, street photography, Product photograpgy, Water splash's , ( something i want to try soon, objects incased in ice) or if stuck for ideas browse the random thread for ideas,

If your unsure on how to do something Utube your camera make and watch a video or 2 for tutorials and settings and try put them into practice.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards
    Danny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

SolarNexus wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some good subjects?

Any ideas?

shoot the things you like. if you love sport, go shoot a match, if you love hiking, shoot landscapes, if you love music, shoot bands, if you love fashion & beautiful people, shoot models. For me, photography is all about the subjects. If you don't enjoy the thing you're shooting you'll give up fairly quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

DotOrg wrote: »
    shoot the things you like. if you love sport, go shoot a match, if you love hiking, shoot landscapes, if you love music, shoot bands, if you love fashion & beautiful people, shoot models. For me, photography is all about the subjects. If you don't enjoy the thing you're shooting you'll give up fairly quickly

Thats a good point, I suppose it would be landscapes if anything, but frankly I'd say that I've not had enough exposure to trying different things out to really say whats my "thing" yet.

Though I must say, I've seen some absolutely epic macro shots lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

DotOrg wrote: »
    Thats a good point, I suppose it would be landscapes if anything, but frankly I'd say that I've not had enough exposure to trying different things out to really say whats my "thing" yet.

Though I must say, I've seen some absolutely epic macro shots lately.

Thats why i say browse the random thread, If your not sure what YOUR thing is then Browse threads, and other photographers and try recreate what you like and move on to creating YOUR interpretation of the same object/subject and in time them you will have your own ideas for shoots.

chevron wrote: »
    Thats why i say browse the random thread, If your not sure what YOUR thing is then Browse threads, and other photographers and try recreate what you like and move on to creating YOUR interpretation of the same object/subject and in time them you will have your own ideas for shoots.

Yeah thats a good idea, I'll probably be doing that until the camera arrives, and a bit after!

thanks

• Advertisement

Here's a couple of images from my first day (and a bit) out with my new camera. I think it went well..

5281232712_28bc786cb0.jpg

5283314432_ab6df36a2b.jpg

5281233360_3b638f1667.jpg

If anyone feels kind enough to look at the set on Flickr and comment (good or bad), I'd appreciate it :)

Advertisement