Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First attempt at macro - C & C

• 18-12-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hi all, long time no photo. Picked up a Canon 100mm f2.8 today to try out some macro. I've started a project on fishing and played around with some close-ups of lures and tackle. I'll admit that I'm at a complete loss when it comes to lighting, and even focusing is causing me a little trouble - everything requires a little more precision. I've attached my first few shots below and any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated:

5272304452_35982b7d27.jpg
    Bear_Lure_1 by paulrichardoleary[/url

5271701123_b38bcfdf7c.jpg
    Bait_Rig_1 by paulrichardoleary

5272350248_4443f823d8.jpg
    Hooks_1 by paulrichardoleary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Im not really one for commenting or giving critisim (see i cant even spell it lol ) but i quite like this set, I think what helps a lot is the background.,

Picture 1
    I like the way the background is totally blurred in order to highlight and bring outthe lure that is in focus, the eye the drawn straight to it.

Picture 2,
    In this picture i think the gold and red help in contrast and highlight the bait lure away from the background with the complimenting Grey of part of the lure.

Picture 3
    The picture of the 3 hooks, top hook only the bottom half is in focus, Middle hook all is in focus and bottom hook only top part i sin focus, the fact that it turned out this way i think helped draw the eye to the center hook.

As i said im not a photographer but this is just MY opinion on these. others may have more technicial responses that may help more.

So all in all i like this set. even with the border which seams to help in this case.
    Danny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Ah, fishing lure, takes me right back to my youth :)

Love the first one, like the fall off on the one with the swivels, though i think you could have got in much closer and focus could be sharper maybe in the centre of the pile. I'd rather one hook up closer for the last one too. But good stuff, nice lens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

chevron wrote: »
    Im not really one for commenting or giving critisim (see i cant even spell it lol ) but i quite like this set, I think what helps a lot is the background.,

Picture 1
    I like the way the background is totally blurred in order to highlight and bring outthe lure that is in focus, the eye the drawn straight to it.

Picture 2,
    In this picture i think the gold and red help in contrast and highlight the bait lure away from the background with the complimenting Grey of part of the lure.

Picture 3
    The picture of the 3 hooks, top hook only the bottom half is in focus, Middle hook all is in focus and bottom hook only top part i sin focus, the fact that it turned out this way i think helped draw the eye to the center hook.

As i said im not a photographer but this is just MY opinion on these. others may have more technicial responses that may help more.

So all in all i like this set. even with the border which seams to help in this case.
    Danny

Thanks a mil for your kinds words Danny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Ah, fishing lure, takes me right back to my youth :)

Love the first one, like the fall off on the one with the swivels, though i think you could have got in much closer and focus could be sharper maybe in the centre of the pile. I'd rather one hook up closer for the last one too. But good stuff, nice lens :)

Thanks mate! Glad to know some people still recognise a fishing lure in the age of Playstation! I'm actually happiest with it, maybe because of the colouration. I have a lot more to catalogue, so that should be fun.

Regarding the swivels, they never really came off right. Shooting with the aperture wide open at 2.8 means that only one tiny aspect of the shot is ever going to be in focus, and I guess there's no natural focal point here? The shot of the hooks was a very contrived attempt at the rule-of-thirds, but I think you're right, a single or a single treble-hook may prove more interesting.

I'm having a little trouble pushing the minimum focusing distance, which I believe is 6 inches. I had another go today with some flies, and I'm happier with the way they turned out:

5275034665_c08875904e.jpg
    Fly_for_Jack_2 by paulrichardoleary, on Flickr

5275637012_1d2c123d5f.jpg
    Fly_for_Jack_3 by paulrichardoleary, on Flickr

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Advertisement