Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are people coping living on social welfare?

• 18-12-2010 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Just wondering as drawing up my own austerity programme for the new year. Won't be spending a great deal over Christmas either. Could do with some moral support from others on state benefits!

Reducing (for now) my health insurance plan . (May have to leave entirely later)
    More walks and less buses..should help me loose weight so a silver lining there:)
    Less coffee and newspapers....

Everything will be rationed.

How are others coping?

Pershaps this is more a personal issues thread, if so feel free to move it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

i'm struggling badly, both on js allowance but with 3 kids and mortgage its not easy

i havent bought a paper in 2 years, coffee aldi brown label one dont know name is lovely so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Me the same
    Have to pay 100 euro rent and a mortgage off 100 euro for a house thats almost finished but impossible to live in
    got rent and fuel allowance together 85 euro and thats all we have to live on
    Wish i had a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hi OP

I was made redundant at the start of December and am doing fine. I fortunately got a redundancy package and took out mortgage protection. I joined a gym and have been going swimming every day. It fills up the morning and it's great to be getting fit in the process.

I've had to get in a tenant although I'm not sure how long he will be around for so will get in another if he leaves in the new year.

I really look at what I spend now and take advantage of the sales at Dunnes - you can live fine on JSB if you really shop carefully.

No more going out for dinners and to the pubs. I actually dont mind that so much. I've been having friends around for drinks and whatever and it doesnt cost much.

My aim is to save as much as I can as my mortgage protection will run out in a year and if I don't have a job by then I'll need to start paying that again.

Being unemployed has woken my eyes up to how wasteful I was. If friends are going to the pub, I'll make sure I eat first and stick to two drinks max (and that is a rare occassion, but like I said, I dont mind that).

I know I am in a much better position than others as I dont have children and only have myself to look out for.

I also plan to do volunteer work in the New Year to get me out and about.

Yes, it's a big adjustment, but I think in my case with planning and lying low I should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

It's tough, but do-able.

After rent and electricity I have 116 euros left for food, petrol, fuel, and other bills.
    (Without the fuel allowance I'd have literally frozen over the last few weeks).
    30 euros of petrol lasts about 5 days, and if I run out, I stay at home.
    Lidl is a lifesaver, considering my weekly food budget is 50 euros.
    I don't drink much (thank god), and I had to stop taking my contraceptive pill because I couldn't afford 13 euros a month!

There is nothing for savings, emergencies or any kind of extras.
    Things that used to be essential have to be saved up for...doctors, dentists, winter clothes. Only reason I can give presents this Christmas is through a lot of planning and buying one thing each week since October!

There are millions of websites available, (google search for 'frugal living'), with lots of tips on making money go further. Shop around for everything and waste nothing are the basics. Exhaustive planning and budgeting go a long way to managing a small amount of money.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

we have maternity and btea payments coming into the house.

2 rooms heated, rest freezing.
    Have a bath everyday to warm up.
    Only have 20euro for petrol per week, when its gone its gone, can't go anywhere till monday,
    Don't qualify for fuel allowance,
    can't get rent allowance
    applied for medical card 2 months ago, they keep asking for more info.....
    cancelled ntl TV,got rabbit ears, kept internet
    owe 150 arrears to esb and gas
    try to stay in bed as long as poss,keeping heating down.
    I considered going back to work early,but if i do,the money i make will be deducted from my partners jsa as btea will be finished for the summer.
    Before i went on mat leave, i tried to pay off as much debit as poss, but it was so hard as partner was reduced to 35euro per week, due to my means.

I can't plan for the redaction in payments as were already in a minus, we'll just owe more to the utilities.

• Advertisement

Cliona99 wrote: »
    It's tough, but do-able.

After rent and electricity I have 116 euros left for food, petrol, fuel, and other bills.
    I don't drink much (thank god), and I had to stop taking my contraceptive pill because I couldn't afford 13 euros a month!

There is nothing for savings, emergencies or any kind of extras.
    Things that used to be essential have to be saved up for...doctors, dentists, winter clothes. Only reason I can give presents this Christmas is through a lot of planning and buying one thing each week since October!

There are millions of websites available, (google search for 'frugal living'), with lots of tips on making money go further. Shop around for everything and waste nothing are the basics. Exhaustive planning and budgeting go a long way to managing a small amount of money.

Good luck.

why is the pill so bloody expensive 12.63 per month, i went to 4 chemists, the same box was between that price and 16 euro. And that is the generic 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm having to consider uprooting my child from his school and friends to move into the city so I can give up the car. I can't see how I can continue to run it, and there is no alternative where we live:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    we have maternity and btea payments coming into the house.

2 rooms heated, rest freezing.
    Have a bath everyday to warm up.
    Only have 20euro for petrol per week, when its gone its gone, can't go anywhere till monday,
    Don't qualify for fuel allowance,
    can't get rent allowance
    applied for medical card 2 months ago, they keep asking for more info.....
    cancelled ntl TV,got rabbit ears, kept internet
    owe 150 arrears to esb and gas
    try to stay in bed as long as poss,keeping heating down.
    I considered going back to work early,but if i do,the money i make will be deducted from my partners jsa as btea will be finished for the summer.
    Before i went on mat leave, i tried to pay off as much debit as poss, but it was so hard as partner was reduced to 35euro per week, due to my means.

I can't plan for the redaction in payments as were already in a minus, we'll just owe more to the utilities.

Would the bath not work out expensive, heating a tank of water just to pour it down the drain? You'd be better off going for a walk in the cold air to get the blood flowing. Not really an option if you're pregnant as the ice is quite dangerous.

Is your partner running a car to get to college? if he is within cycle distance to either college or the bus stop (up to 5 miles) I suggest you get rid of the car. Insurance, tax, maintenance, nct, tolls, petrol, parking... need I say more?

It sounds like you would be better off if your partner had income. Is there nothing at all he could do in the evening or weekends that would bring in even €70 a week? I was getting some tiny rooms in my house painted and papered a while ago. I found it impossible to get a paperer. The painter charged over €100 a day and he wasn't even that good.

Regarding paying off the debt, ask whoever you owe the debt to for a repayment schedule. It sounds like you would benefit from a visit to MABS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

to save electricity im still living in the summertime

Thank you for putting the thought into your answer....
    tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Would the bath not work out expensive, heating a tank of water just to pour it down the drain? You'd be better off going for a walk in the cold air to get the blood flowing. Not really an option if you're pregnant as the ice is quite dangerous.
    The gas heating is on for 1/2 at 12 am, this heats the water for the bath anyway. It works out better than putting the heat on for 3 hrs during the day.I try to get out for a walk in the afternoon with my 3 month old.

Is your partner running a car to get to college? if he is within cycle distance to either college or the bus stop (up to 5 miles) I suggest you get rid of the car. Insurance, tax, maintenance, nct, tolls, petrol, parking... need I say more? 1 car, either he takes it or gets a lift, tax and ins not up till May so no big bills yet.

It sounds like you would be better off if your partner had income. Is there nothing at all he could do in the evening or weekends that would bring in even €70 a week? I was getting some tiny rooms in my house painted and papered a while ago. I found it impossible to get a paperer. The painter charged over €100 a day and he wasn't even that good. He was in construction, on a short week for a year which used up all his stamps, he hung on when really he should have left for something else. When he did leave, he couldn't find anything more than 20 hrs per week, so we took a chance and he is doing a computer course as there are a few support call centers near here. If he was to do any jobs like that he would loose his BTEA. I know its crap, but that's the catch, once you work at all you loose everything. Towards the end of the course,he will look for any job, any where.

Regarding paying off the debt, ask whoever you owe the debt to for a repayment schedule. It sounds like you would benefit from a visit to MABS.We are on a waiting list with MABS, ESB have been quite good to be fair, with NTL I just brought down the bill to what we could afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭nojunkmaill

WMPDD3, as far as I'm aware (99%) you are allowed work part time while on BTEA and keep your full payment. Hours worked can't interfere with the course / study obviously.

That might be an option for him. Hopefully something good will come from his course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

why is the pill so bloody expensive 12.63 per month, i went to 4 chemists, the same box was between that price and 16 euro. And that is the generic 1!

sorry what , there is one thats like 7.50e . mail me il send u the name , i find it very good , not bein smart but it will cost me more in the long run if i don't take it .

its not a mini one either

Yeah...contraception is expensive, but not as expensive as a child. It took me about a year of chopping and changing to find one that didn't send my blood pressure sky high. I'm happier not taking anything at the moment. (I'm not taking any chances either though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Both of us on BTEA and now in college , Paid off all our debts when we got redundancy .Got rid of sky went free to air and got a better broadband package , now I just download every thing I need to watch.
    I need broadband for my college course as pat of the syllabus needs to be accessed on line... only for that I would get rid of the broadband.
    1 ten year old but very reliable car between me and my missus costing €30 a week which is loads cheaper than taking the bus and €30 gets us both in and out of college and allows extra travel if necessary. Haven't been in a bar or restaurant in 8 months now we cook and drink at home all the time , no gifts for anyone this year. Cut down on the fags and switched to roll ups(1 pack last 3 weeks). No holidays for the for foreseeable future. 5 room house only 2 rooms get heated, lots more shopping in pennys.
    It's a tight squeeze every week money wise but so far so good , paying off all our debts was a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Cut your sky package or cancel it -
    Switch from eircom to imagine -
    OR consider switching to eircoms vulnerable user scheme

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0739464875.1293354540@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdademggggeficefeceiedfgodfik.0&cid=LowUserSchemeRes&site=Res&chanId=-536889576

Give up the few bottles of wine and takeaway at weekend -
    Close accounts with littlewoods and the like-
    If you drive, put in a load of fuel at once, rather than little amounts over the week, you get more for your money.
    My top tip is, when visiting relatives, time your visits to coincide with them getting the dinner out...:D
    I have done all of the above in the last year and I think ive saved loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

godwin wrote: »
    1 ten year old but very reliable car between me and my missus costing €30 a week which is loads cheaper than taking the bus and €30 gets us both in and out of college and allows extra travel if necessary. ...

You factoring insurance/tax servicing/repairs into that? I'm surprised its cheaper then the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Supply and demand

Yeah...contraception is expensive, but not as expensive as a child. It took me about a year of chopping and changing to find one that didn't send my blood pressure sky high. I'm happier not taking anything at the moment. (I'm not taking any chances either though!)

Yeah I know, already have a 3 month old! Its Noriday, mini pill, its the only 1 out of 25 I've tried that didn't effect my thyroid. As soon as the doc started writing the script, I asked for the generic version, she smiled at me and said thats what she has written down!
    Id prefer the implant but you have to pay the first €120 per month and the drugs payment scheme pay the rest. Not in a position to do this for the foreseeable future.

Plus on the 23rd, I got a call from the ESB asking when would I have the 125 arrears I owe them paid off. Now they were lovely and very nice to deal with. Managed to agree a date with them but really put a damper on things for a while. By agreeing a date it means I have to pay off an extra €10 per week than I can really afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

BostonB wrote: »
    You factoring insurance/tax servicing/repairs into that? I'm surprised its cheaper then the bus.

I service it myself , if it ever needs repairing(it hasn't in the last 3 years) and I cant do it I order the part from the auto-factors and I pay one of the many mechanics cash to put it in on his own time , tax and insurance is €490 a year.

As regards the bus , I felt like taking it today as I had a skinfull last night and I rang the bus company and they said it might resume service Wednesday or Thursday :pac:

I was inspired by this thread to look into getting rid of the car and take the bus instead.

Unfortunately living in the back end of nowhere means bus eireann hates me. To get to college (10 miles away) for 9am I'd have to catch a bus at 6.55am. I'd then have to wait an hour and ten minutes (in a little village with nothing open that early) to catch my second bus at 8.25am. And then walk very quickly for twenty minutes to college.

The journey home would involve a run to the bus station for 4.30pm bus to village, then wait patiently for an hour and a half for the bus to my house, getting home at about 6.30pm.

This fabulous service would cost me €10 per day, and a mere four hours of my time.

My car on the other hand...eats €30 petrol per week and costs about €30 per month in tax, insurance, maintenance and nct. For a grand total of €150 a month, whereas the bus would be €200...

So that's the end of that little experiment and I can stop feeling guilty about killing the environment. Might write to the bus people though...there are almost definitely people out there who have no other option than the crazy journey outlined above. I used to travel to Ballsbridge everyday and it took about the same in time and money. But at least I was getting somewhere more than ten miles away.

Anyone with amazing suggestions for cutting costs, send them my way, please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My heart goes out to you all ; so much courage out there.

If it is any consolation, it does get easier. I was on disability many years before pension age so I never got used to any other life style than what most would think a very "meagre" one. And it no longer is any problem.

One spin off is that small pleasures start to mean so much more when you have less. Treats become real treats when they are fewer.

Hoping all were safe in the terrible weather. Keeping warm is the hardest to bear.

I was inspired by this thread to look into getting rid of the car and take the bus instead.

Public transport isn't available to everyone. But some people are clearly on good bus routes but prefer the convenience of a car. Other families living on welfare try to run two cars rather than trying to make do with one, or run a large car which is more expensive for tax, insurance and petrol when they should get by with a smaller one.

So obviously, if you're running a small car and getting cheap rent in the middle of no-where, it might work out cheaper to own a car. I know a lot of people who got rid of their cars because they could not afford to run one.

Another small point, out in the country you often see lost-looking people standing at a crossroads. They're often people who rely on lifts from neighbours to get to college. When the neighbour isn't available they get a lift from a family member. No BTEA for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

This is a tough thread to read. :(

I did 10 weeks on the dole from start of November 09 to mid January 10 and it was a soul -destroying experience personally. I should be thankful that it was only 10 weeks. I can't comprehend how people manage long-term unemployment.

Good luck to all of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Anyone with amazing suggestions for cutting costs, send them my way, please!

You should be able to cycle 10 miles in about an hour or so.

problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Closed for mod review. Expect bans for the childish stupidity portrayed by many on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The story so far...

two users have been banned, and a large quantity of infractions have been handed out. I would strongly advise that people read the Original Post, (after they read the forum charter of course) before posting in this thread.

Thread is now re-opened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

BengaLover wrote: »
    My top tip is, when visiting relatives, time your visits to coincide with them getting the dinner out...:D

Thats a good idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'm managing, I'm lucky as in I live at home and my parents don't charge me rent. I'm paying back bank loans though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I've started buying the Mirror or the Evening Herald instead of the Indo, journalism is not as good but saves me 90cent a day. The best journalism is available on radio anyway and that's free (until they devise a radio licence too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 mummytotwo

Im paying 200 a week rent. I'm a lone parent with 2 kids. (I'm in the process on moving)
    I am recieving one parent family payment and i work 10 hours a week getting an extra 86.50 a week.

I cut sky ages ago, i kept the sky box and found codes on boards.ie to tune in a load of free to air channels so now i have bbc, utv, channel4, more4 and a few kids channels (there are all the +1 channels too) It suits me grand, i still have soaps, xfactor and the rest :)

I shop in a few different places, i go to lidl for bread and milk, tesco to get bits for the house - cleaning etc and my local centra does have great offers on fruit and veg. I go to my local butcher and get a weekly special (usually 20 euro) it has enough food for a weeks dinners, mince, sausages, rashers, chops, chicken, meatballs etc. You can usually choose a few things off the list.

My eldest takes a variety of things to school for lunch. Luncheon roll is much cheaper than ham, he gets bananas and other pieces of fruit, raisins are cheap too and most kids enjoy them (buy a large bag and put a handful in the lunch box)
    Buy a good sturdy sandwich box, resuable and means you dont have to buy little sandwich bags. Also buy a flask and fill it everyday rather than giving a bottle/carton each day.

I havent got a car so rely on public transport. If you know you'll be travelling x amount of days check to see if there is a weekly saver ticket, could work out cheaper.

I dont read newspapers, drink coffee/coffee or smoke so i treat myself to 30 euro phone credit each month. This gives me free texts and internet on my phone for the month meaning i can always contact people if i need to. Look into mobile phone options (im considering switching networks at the minute as i think meteor have the 20 euro top and free etxt and internet would save me 10 euro a month)

Shop around for your home phone and broadband deals too, its shocking how much people are being over charged!! I just helped my mum change to a new provider saving her a few euro a month and she has better/faster internet with free calls too.

Save your loose change (from shopping etc) i have a box in the kitchen that i throw loose coins in. By the end of the month it could add up to 10euro :) every little helps

Freiheit wrote: »
    I've started buying the Mirror or the Evening Herald instead of the Indo, journalism is not as good but saves me 90cent a day. The best journalism is available on radio anyway and that's free (until they devise a radio licence too!)

so your spending over 300e a year on news papers?

Radio is not free afaik it's part of the tv license.

ntlbell wrote: »
    so your spending over 300e a year on news papers?

Radio is not free afaik it's part of the tv license.

It's free if you don't have a tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bosco1975

It's tough, but do-able.

Cliona
    Surely you are entitled to a medical card. The pill is available on the mc for medical reasons eg heavy/irregular cycles, cramps etc

Hiya, the pill is available on the medical card for birth control reasons too, afaik.

I have a medical card now, it just took a while for the application to be processed and I'd come off the pill in the meantime so didn't bother going back on it. (I probably shouldn't have said "I *had* to stop taking it" because I could go back on it now if I wanted to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭upinthesky

WMPDD3, as far as I'm aware (99%) you are allowed work part time while on BTEA and keep your full payment. Hours worked can't interfere with the course / study obviously.

That might be an option for him. Hopefully something good will come from his course.
    they have done away with this now what a joke the btwa i mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭upinthesky

mummytotwo wrote: »
    Im paying 200 a week rent. I'm a lone parent with 2 kids. (I'm in the process on moving)
    I am recieving one parent family payment and i work 10 hours a week getting an extra 86.50 a week.

I cut sky ages ago, i kept the sky box and found codes on boards.ie to tune in a load of free to air channels so now i have bbc, utv, channel4, more4 and a few kids channels (there are all the +1 channels too) It suits me grand, i still have soaps, xfactor and the rest :)

I shop in a few different places, i go to lidl for bread and milk, tesco to get bits for the house - cleaning etc and my local centra does have great offers on fruit and veg. I go to my local butcher and get a weekly special (usually 20 euro) it has enough food for a weeks dinners, mince, sausages, rashers, chops, chicken, meatballs etc. You can usually choose a few things off the list.

My eldest takes a variety of things to school for lunch. Luncheon roll is much cheaper than ham, he gets bananas and other pieces of fruit, raisins are cheap too and most kids enjoy them (buy a large bag and put a handful in the lunch box)
    Buy a good sturdy sandwich box, resuable and means you dont have to buy little sandwich bags. Also buy a flask and fill it everyday rather than giving a bottle/carton each day.

I havent got a car so rely on public transport. If you know you'll be travelling x amount of days check to see if there is a weekly saver ticket, could work out cheaper.

I dont read newspapers, drink coffee/coffee or smoke so i treat myself to 30 euro phone credit each month. This gives me free texts and internet on my phone for the month meaning i can always contact people if i need to. Look into mobile phone options (im considering switching networks at the minute as i think meteor have the 20 euro top and free etxt and internet would save me 10 euro a month)

Shop around for your home phone and broadband deals too, its shocking how much people are being over charged!! I just helped my mum change to a new provider saving her a few euro a month and she has better/faster internet with free calls too.

Save your loose change (from shopping etc) i have a box in the kitchen that i throw loose coins in. By the end of the month it could add up to 10euro :) every little helps

regards sky if you have the old box take the card out turn of the box and your tv for 10 mins then turn it all back on don't put the card back in you will have you BBC1 AND BBC2 CH4 ITV E4 MORE4 all for free this is what i had to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Yes I am a newspaper addict....I'm tentatively weaning myself off it :)

Freiheit wrote: »
    Yes I am a newspaper addict....I'm tentatively weaning myself off it :)

:)

If you live near a local library they generally have the news papers there which can you read for free and can also use the internet there free to get your jornalistic fix :)

Advertisement