Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holloway's thoughts on a winter world cup!

• 18-12-2010 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

I must admit, this one has made me laugh the most so far.

He takes the complete piss out of FIFA and UEFA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not that I disagree with him, but I think Holloway has caught a touch of the Phil Browns. That mouth of his will be his undoing eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Dunno what it is about him but he is quality at interviews. :D

Would probably need to change the season before and the season after the WC if it was moved to January.Platini might agree with it now but will he be there is 10 years time ?
    Will the clubs allow such a shake up over potentially 3 years to accommodate a logistic nightmare never mind the problems involved with such a Neanderthal state.500,000+ fans won't be able to stay in 50,000 hotel rooms whether they be gay couples,straight couples married or otherwise...
    Maybe they will make new hotels and send them to other countries when the WC is finished too. :rolleyes:

Whilst i have no problems with new countries hosting such an event, maybe just maybe it's time for the super secret ballot of 22 members be changed to every single country who is a member has a vote type democracy, this type of democracy works sometimes. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Not that I disagree with him, but I think Holloway has caught a touch of the Phil Browns. That mouth of his will be his undoing eventually.

His schtik got old after about five minutes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Have to agree, i was looking forward to seeing him in the premiership and seeing more of his interviews but he just reminds me of Phil Brown now.

flahavaj wrote: »

He's a journo's wet dream though, like Keano, he'll give an entertaining opinion on anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

d22ontour wrote: »
    Will the clubs allow such a shake up over potentially 3 years to accommodate a logistic nightmare never mind the problems involved with such a Neanderthal state.500,000+ fans won't be able to stay in 50,000 hotel rooms whether they be gay couples,straight couples married or otherwise...
    Maybe they will make new hotels and send them to other countries when the WC is finished too. :rolleyes:

Blatter is open to other countries in the area hosting games :rolleyes:

For winter leagues the best way would be to start the season in 2022 3 weeks early and let it finish 3 weeks late, then just have a "winter break" for teh WC.

Less disruption and would actually benefit the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Looks at the forum you mod ???

Like WTF ??? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

He has been at it for years though. I like it as he is actually saying what he thinks in that interview. Plus a lot of what he says is firmly with tongue in cheek, it is easy enough to spot one of his tongue in cheek ones (the barrel of boobs joke for example) from his serious rants. He is a million miles away from the Tango Ted called Phil Brown. The only thing tangerine about Holloway is his Blackpool gear.

He is a genuinely nice guy too which is nice to see.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Looks at the forum you mod ???

Like WTF ??? :pac:

Pfft, amatuer, no football rants allowed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No! No! No! I am not having this sh!t about Holloway's opinions getting tiring after a while.

I firmly believe him in what he says and in his groundness. This bloke is not Phil Brown. This bloke realises he is manager of Blackpool. I firmly believe he is grounded by his family and his daughter's difficulities.

I have so much respect for the bloke and i would rather see his interviews than most other managers.

Take Wenger. Great manager, but sees nothing. Fair enough, he protects his players. But so does Holloway. In a different way.

Wenger is a better manager. But for me, Holloway is a better person. There's too much bullsh!t in football these days. Right or wrong, Holloway will say it the way he sees it.

How could anyone get tired of that. There is so many many more tiresome things in football than Ian Holloway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

I heard this earlier on Newstalk. It made me laugh alright.

Regarding the 2022 World Cup: Why are they talking about this now? This should have been sorted out in Quatar's bid, and if Fifa had a problem with the temperature, they should not have given Quatar the World Cup.

They've got ten years to work this out, so there's plenty of time to plan the whole thing. Though, wouldn't every FA have to agree to the winter World Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He got a nice dig in at the Blackburn owners there:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A poor man's Gordon Strachan tbh. Especially when he's not trying to be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I am a huge fan of Ian Holloway and comparing him to Phil Brown is horrible.

Great post about him there from Monkey9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think that while he does try to "sensationalise" what he says alot of times, what he does say makes alot of sense. He doesn't shy away from his opinions and i think that has to be applauded in modern day football. He's a very good manager aswell IMO, and if he keeps Blackpool up, which is looking a good possibility at the moment, it will be proved, considering the resources he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm rapidly getting sick of Ian Holloway's 'rants' at this stage.

I can honestly picture him at home the night before press conferences in front of his mirror practising these 'rants'.

As has been mentioned, he has become a Phil Brown. In other words he's an annoying twat who tries to come across as entertaining and controversial with the sole aim of being spoken about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I can imagine all the journos getting together and thinking up ways to set him off. 'What will it be this weeks lads? I know winter WC'. Sky Sports must love him as he gives them content week on week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm rapidly getting sick of Ian Holloway's 'rants' at this stage.

I can honestly picture him at home the night before press conferences in front of his mirror practising these 'rants'.

As has been mentioned, he has become a Phil Brown. In other words he's an annoying twat who tries to come across as entertaining and controversial with the sole aim of being spoken about.

Why don't you just not watch them then you clown?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

monkey9 wrote: »
    No! No! No! I am not having this sh!t about Holloway's opinions getting tiring after a while.

I firmly believe him in what he says and in his groundness. This bloke is not Phil Brown. This bloke realises he is manager of Blackpool. I firmly believe he is grounded by his family and his daughter's difficulities.

I have so much respect for the bloke and i would rather see his interviews than most other managers.

Take Wenger. Great manager, but sees nothing. Fair enough, he protects his players. But so does Holloway. In a different way.

Wenger is a better manager. But for me, Holloway is a better person. There's too much bullsh!t in football these days. Right or wrong, Holloway will say it the way he sees it.

How could anyone get tired of that. There is so many many more tiresome things in football than Ian Holloway.

I always found Wenger to be an excellent analyst who never shies away from telling it like he sees it, at least where international football is concerned. Maybe he's different about Arsenal but I think this 'I didn't see it' bollocks is from an isolated incident about 10 years ago, no?

I always found Wenger to be an excellent analyst who never shies away from telling it like he sees it, at least where international football is concerned. Maybe he's different about Arsenal but I think this 'I didn't see it' bollocks is from an isolated incident about 10 years ago, no?
    No its not, he never sees it if its a bad challenge by one of his team or else its a 'he didn't mean it', and if its a penalty decision that was given that was clearly wrong he didn't see it but if it wasn't given and should have been he has always seen it. Thats when talking about his team of course.

• Advertisement

Holloway being compared to Phil Brown?

They seem like polar opposites to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ian Holloway has always been like this, only difference is for the last number of years he's been in the championship where there is far less media attention. No idea how people can say "he's turning into Phil Brown".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Why don't you just not watch them then you clown?

If I was to turn off the TV any time Holloway appeared then it would never be on because he's never off it, which is exactly what Holloway wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Football needs people like Ian Holloway in the game. Problem is there is'nt enough like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

MOG7 wrote: »
    Have to agree, i was looking forward to seeing him in the premiership and seeing more of his interviews but he just reminds me of Phil Brown now.

Bad bad comparison. Phil Brown just likes himself and the sound of his own voice, Holloway seems to genuinely speak his mind and doesn't give a sh1t who he might offend. In a sport that's rife with chancers and bullsh1tters he's a breath of fresh air, as are his team for the way they play and what they're achieving against all the odds.

And he's quite right in what he's saying. You really have to wonder how Sepp Blatter ever got to be head of such a major organisation as FIFA. The guy is an absolute moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Holloway talks a lot of sense. He has anger issues and he just sort of rants. I don't think he intends to start raving, just gets carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

This is a man the Premier League has needed for years.
    Tells how thing are, and what the man on the street is thinking about the events.

What a man, a good manager too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

monkey9 wrote: »

So Holloway is a better person because he straight talks to the media leeches??? I like the man, but that is the most ridiculous conclusion I've ever heard!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the issue itself, I dont really see why there is such spirited discussion on either side of the issue tbh. It's over 11 years away! Discussion on it, in terms of dealing with definates, at this stage is fairly pointless. Who knows how things will be in 11 years.

It's a suggestion. It sounds a bit silly, but its just a suggestion for a proposition that doesn't need a decision made for around 8 years at least!

L'prof wrote: »
    So Holloway is a better person because he straight talks to the media leeches??? I like the man, but that is the most ridiculous conclusion I've ever heard!!!
    No he is a better person because he is honest and straight up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eagle eye wrote: »
    No he is a better person because he is honest and straight up.

To the media...

L'prof wrote: »
    To the media...
    Well thats the only place we ever get to hear the man.

The Phil Brown comparison is more to do with the fact that initially people thought Brown a breath of fresh air, but then it started to wear thin, just like it is starting to do for some people with Holloway now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The Phil Brown comparison is more to do with the fact that initially people thought Brown a breath of fresh air, but then it started to wear thin, just like it is starting to do for some people with Holloway now.

Common sense should never wear thin. He answers the questions he is asked. He doesn't start shouting out his window on random subjects. Sky asked every manager the same question as in that video. Holloway just gave a straight and passionate answer.

Give me that over the media savvy say nothing approach any day.

• Advertisement

Common sense should never wear thin. He answers the questions he is asked. He doesn't start shouting out his window on random subjects. Sky asked every manager the same question as in that video. Holloway just gave a straight and passionate answer.

Give me that over the media savvy say nothing approach any day.

A straight and passionate answer that takes ten minutes sometimes. Shut the f*ck up like. His little "rant" about getting fined was embarrassing. he was right in what he said but threatening to quit over it was ridiculous, as if the FA could give a sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

A straight and passionate answer that takes ten minutes sometimes. Shut the f*ck up like. His little "rant" about getting fined was embarrassing. he was right in what he said but threatening to quit over it was ridiculous, as if the FA could give a sh*t.

They didn't fine him, did they?

They didn't fine him, did they?

Are you saying they didn't because he threw a tantrum and threatened to walk out on his club? Pull the other one.

Are you saying they didn't because he threw a tantrum and threatened to walk out on his club? Pull the other one.

I duuno Flah, maybe they were afraid to fine him because of the fuss he kicked up over the whole thing. Some of these guys in the FA would do anything for an easy life. Remember several Premier League managers backed him aswell, which put further pressure on the FA not to fine him.

However I do think he was bull*******, don't think he would have ever quit over that. It would have made him look like a retarded drama queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I read in one of the articles he wrote recently he said he thought England shouldn't play friendlies against foreign teams. England A should play England B in all friendlies was his point. That way you get to see more players.

My point is he may speak his opinion but his opinions can be bonkers so I don't know if that bodes well for his instincts and sense.

• Advertisement

I duuno Flah, maybe they were afraid to fine him because of the fuss he kicked up over the whole thing. Some of these guys in the FA would do anything for an easy life. Remember several Premier League managers backed him aswell, which put further pressure on the FA not to fine him.

However I do think he was bull*******, don't think he would have ever quit over that. It would have made him look like a retarded drama queen.

I sincerely doubt they gave a sh*t what old Worzel Gummidge said in his tantrum. The FA are well capable of making controversial decisions and have done so on numerous occasiosn over the years.

I sincerely doubt they gave a sh*t what old Worzel Gummidge said in his tantrum. The FA are well capable of making controversial decisions and have done so on numerous occasiosn over the years.

They have also shown to be afraid of punishing some of the ''bigger'' clubs over the years. Remember Fergie playing a team that was no where near full strenght against Hull in 2009 and nothing comes of it. Yet Mick does the same thing and gets a fine? This is because they knew full well the uproar that would have been kicked up had they fined Sir Alex.

As I said, anything for an easy life:)

They have also shown to be afraid of punishing some of the ''bigger'' clubs over the years. Remember Fergie playing a team that was no where near full strenght against Hull in 2009 and nothing comes of it. Yet Mick does the same thing and gets a fine? This is because they knew full well the uproar that would have been kicked up had they fined Sir Alex.

As I said, anything for an easy life:)

Yet they banned Ferdinand for not taking a drugs test when they hadn't punished other players for similar offences in the past? They didn't seem worried about Fergie kicking up a fuss then.

Yet they banned Ferdinand for not taking a drugs test when they hadn't punished other players for similar offences in the past? They didn't seem worried about Fergie kicking up a fuss then.

Ah wasn't quite like that with Ferdinand. They let another player off (Berkovic I think) because he missed it for religious reasons. Ferdinand missed it because ''of the stress of moving house''...big difference.

I think it's generally accepted by pundits and football fans alike that the FA have a bias towards the bigger clubs.

Ah wasn't quite like that with Ferdinand. They let another player off (Berkovic I think) because he missed it for religious reasons. Ferdinand missed it because ''of the stress of moving house''...big difference.

I think it's generally accepted by pundits and football fans alike that the FA have a bias towards the bigger clubs.

There was a young player at City that it happened with AFAIR.

Lets not get bogged down in details/rguments about the FA's attitude towards big clubs - my overall point is that the FA don't make decisions based on whether a mouthy manager threats to walk out on his club or not. Holloway threatening to do so was childish and stupid in the extreme, even if his overall point was sound.

Flahavaj if you don't like Ian Hollaway then imo you don't like yourself. You are the boards.ie(well soccer forum anyways) equivalent of the man. And thats a compliment by the way.

Flahavaj if you don't like Ian Hollaway then imo you don't like yourself. You are the boards.ie(well soccer forum anyways) equivalent of the man. And thats a compliment by the way.

I will quit my boards.ie account if you don't take that back.

There was a young player at City that it happened with AFAIR.

Lets not get bogged down in details/rguments about the FA's attitude towards big clubs - my overall point is that the FA don't make decisions based on whether a mouthy manager threats to walk out on his club or not. Holloway threatening to do so was childish and stupid in the extreme, even if his overall point was sound.

I think maybe the fact other PL managers backed Holloway may have had an impact on the FA's decision. Why else not fine him if Mick did the exact same thing.

Anyway I'll leave it at that, I don't think this particular issue is actually worth debating and we're just wasting our time:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I will quit my boards.ie account if you don't take that back.

Excellent...:pac:

I think maybe the fact other PL managers backed Holloway may have had an impact on the FA's decision. Why else not fine him if Mick did the exact same thing.

Anyway I'll leave it at that, I don't think this particular issue is actually worth debating and we're just wasting our time:p

The major difference was McCarthy owned up and didn't try to hide it, whereas Hollaway never openly admitted up to it. The FA's decision had nothing to do with Hollaway's threats.

But as you say its an old debate thats been done to death.

• Advertisement
Advertisement