Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bridge

Options
  • 18-12-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Why are starships designed with the bridge at the very top?? Would it not be be very easy to take it out once the shields are down? The amount of times I could have wiped out Picard and his minions during the TNG if I was in one of those enemy ships.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If you were actually to look at how the are designed in general its quite terrible.

bridge should be in the centre, like a submarine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If you were actually to look at how the are designed in general its quite terrible.

bridge should be in the centre, like a submarine.

I suppose to cannonise things, one could say that Starfleet ships up until modern era were not designed for war/combat, and as such functionality came over tactical design.

In reality, it looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

somuj wrote: »
    Why are starships designed with the bridge at the very top?? Would it not be be very easy to take it out once the shields are down? The amount of times I could have wiped out Picard and his minions during the TNG if I was in one of those enemy ships.

Difficult to say but I suppose Matt Jefferies wanted to have the Enterprise's bridge as the main focal point of the show. And from a visual point of view, the exterior shots of the ship easily showed where the bridge was and that helped viewers to gain a visual flag post as where most of the action was happening on the ship. Most of the scenes on board the ship took place there and as for a canonist answer? Well there isn't one in my opinion as already discussed here, it is very unlikely that a starship would be designed like that.

Of course being fiction, it's never going to be a reality as we know it.
    Also, the very explosion you were threatening to do to Picard and his gang actually happened in Enterprise episode "Twilight" E59, S3.

NX01BridgeDestroyed.jpg

This is from Wikipedia:

Besides creating interiors and exterior of the Enterprise, Jefferies was responsible for designing props (including phasers), sets, the Klingon logo and D-7 battle cruiser. Years later, his concept sketches were revisited and used to design the starship Enterprise, the Olympic class U.S.S. Pasteur, the Daedalus-class and pre-Federation Vulcan ships.
    Contrary to popular belief, Jefferies did not create Star Trek's original shuttlecraft design. Although Jefferies submitted his own concept, it was too complex to build with the show's shoestring budget. Gene Winfield's much simpler design was used instead and Jefferies designed only its interior.
    Jefferies had a very pragmatic design ethic. Reasoning that a starship's engines would be extremely powerful and potentially dangerous, he positioned them far away from the ship, with the added benefit of modular design so that they could be ejected quickly in an emergency. Figuring that whatever could go wrong would, he put all of the ship's workings on the interior for easy access, eliminating the need for spacewalking in case of exterior repairs. The bridge panels were given an ergonomic design for comfort and ease of use. He was opposed to the idea of PADDs, as well as the goose-neck viewers that appeared in the first pilot. Later, Jefferies' work on the bridge of the EnterpriseU.S. Navy master communications center at NAS San Diego. Moreover, he disliked the idea of a large engine room because by his reckoning the entire ship could be run by a single panel on the bridge. influenced the design of the
    When Jefferies saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture he fell asleep. He never watched subsequent incarnations of Star Trek, remarking that they had turned his Navy-esque bridge into "the lobby of the Hilton."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Enterprise was a ship of exploration!

Also, if they were going into a battle, why didn't they use the battle bridge more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

IvySlayer wrote: »
    The Enterprise was a ship of exploration!

Also, if they were going into a battle, why didn't they use the battle bridge more?

i remember there being a plan to do the Saucer Separation trick that the Galaxy class ships had as a regular thing on TNG, but that the actual sequence took too long to do and interrupted the storyline too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

gatecrash wrote: »
    i remember there being a plan to do the Saucer Separation trick that the Galaxy class ships had as a regular thing on TNG, but that the actual sequence took too long to do and interrupted the storyline too much

It would have made much more sense though, esoecially when they knew tha they were facing battle.

They did not have to show the seperation sequence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

It would have made much more sense though, esoecially when they knew tha they were facing battle.

They did not have to show the seperation sequence

No, they didn't, but how many times did the Enterprise go into a situation where battle was inevitable?

BOBW was one and I recall them saying something about needing the saucer impulse drives or something.
    Then during the recapture of Locutus/Picard they carried out the Sep.

Geordi ordered one too.............early on in the shows run.

The Defiant is the only ship that gives an impression of the bridge being built into the centre of the ship. I still think its at the top though, isn't it?

Afraid they did again with this as well.

c_Defiant.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

I always thought it wouldnt really matter where the bridge is placed. If the shields are down then it wouldnt take long for the ship to be torn apart by enemy lasers or missiles etc.

I suppose its the same behind having forcefields instead of glass windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I was watching an episode of TNG today, Geordi's stuck on a Planet with a Romulan, and the Enterprise is in orbit with a dying Romulan on board. They have been asked by the Romulan Warbird to deliver the dying one, so they can adminster aid, but can't as they have to stay and rescue Geordi. I spent the whole episode wondering why they didn't leave the saucer in orbit for Geordi, and send the drive section off to meet the Romulans.

Don't get me started on Bridges though. 24th century and there's no seat belts, or trip switches/fuses? Everything explodes, and people are thrown about the place. Dumb.

I was watching an episode of TNG today, Geordi's stuck on a Planet with a Romulan, and the Enterprise is in orbit with a dying Romulan on board. They have been asked by the Romulan Warbird to deliver the dying one, so they can adminster aid, but can't as they have to stay and rescue Geordi. I spent the whole episode wondering why they didn't leave the saucer in orbit for Geordi, and send the drive section off to meet the Romulans.

ha, thought the exact same thing

Don't get me started on Bridges though. 24th century and there's no seat belts, or trip switches/fuses? Everything explodes, and people are thrown about the place. Dumb.

Forget the entire saucer section, a shuttle or 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Forget the entire saucer section, a shuttle or 2!

I always figured if they knew there were Romulans on the planet, they'd hardly leave the saucer section present incase of a cloaked vessel etc...

or the captains yacht...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

KenSwee wrote: »
    Of course being fiction, it's never going to be a reality as we know it.
    Also, the very explosion you were threatening to do to Picard and his gang actually happened in Enterprise episode "Twilight" E59, S3.

NX01BridgeDestroyed.jpg

Did it not happen in Nemesis also?

Stinker of a movie, so can barely remember it but did someone not get sucked into space, through the bridge, during the scene prior to the ramming?

Stinker of a movie, so can barely remember it but did someone not get sucked into space, through the bridge, during the scene prior to the ramming?

yeah the random ensign on conn got blown out before the forcefield went up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

God yeah, the Captain's Yacht - That's something that could have made great use of with D, but never did.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I always figured if they knew there were Romulans on the planet, they'd hardly leave the saucer section present incase of a cloaked vessel etc...

They have sensor buoys on the Federation border that even Romulan cloaked vessels can't get by undetected.

They have sensor buoys on the Federation border that even Romulan cloaked vessels can't get by undetected.

but that mystery borg attack would have wiped all of them out wouldn't it ;)

• Advertisement

Random deaths: I hate them, so pointless. Exploding consoles were the worst. A good movie never needs them. It's a poor method for extending a scene.

Advertisement