Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP.....

Options
  • 19-12-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all, this is really annoyin me... bought a bipod for the 22 and fitted into the stock. was perfect for a month or so and then it just came loose. I put the nut back into the stock and fitted the bipod again but now it just keeps popping back out unexpectedly:mad: heres a pic of the nut to hold the bipod and the hole that used to hold it--
    dsc00493d.jpg

please help me on this one, the bipod came in very handy for prone shots....
    heres a pic of the lot--
    dsc00494oz.jpg

thanks in advance lads....
    Anto....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

try some pva glue on the threads, should keep it in tight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Anto...

tfox wrote: »
    try some pva glue on the threads, should keep it in tight :)
    ya i was thinking that myself. Would super glue do the job? and do you think I could get the nut out again if I had to for some reason like if i were to sell bipod? thanks for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Wouldn't be too worried about sticking it in as permanent as you can, doubt you'll come across a situation when you'll need to remove it again.
    I'm curious, why would you need to take it out if you were selling the bipod?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Superglue should do the job ok.

If you do want to sell the bi-pod surely you dont need to take the screw out ? The bi-pod should clamp onto the stud and come off no prob without the need to remove the stud !!

dos29 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too worried about sticking it in as permanent as you can, doubt you'll come across a situation when you'll need to remove it again.
    I'm curious, why would you need to take it out if you were selling the bipod?
    superglue it is lads ill post the results tomorrow... ah just wanted to know if I could remove it if i wanted... just curious myself... thanks for replying
    Anto....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't use glue, what you have is a sling stud that has a machine thread on it, it's designed to screw into an existing thread in metal.
    What you need is a wood screw threaded sling stud. these can be got from most RFD's for less than a 10'er a set.140018.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

Anto... wrote: »
    Hi all, this is really annoyin me... bought a bipod for the 22 and fitted into the stock. was perfect for a month or so and then it just came loose. I put the nut back into the stock and fitted the bipod again but now it just keeps popping back out unexpectedly:mad: heres a pic of the nut to hold the bipod and the hole that used to hold it--
    dsc00493d.jpg

please help me on this one, the bipod came in very handy for prone shots....
    heres a pic of the lot--
    dsc00494oz.jpg

thanks in advance lads....
    Anto....
    That screw will never hold in wood it's for fixing to steel
    like CJ said you need wood screws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

hi anto.
    the thread on that screw is very fine and not very suitable for wood.
    one of the screw studs like cj showed would be better.
    if you are doing the job your self be careful and mark out a new point for the stud and drill a pilot hole smaller than the screw but not to small.
    it needs to be tight enough so the screw can bite into the wood but not so tight that it splits the wood.
    once the stud is in leave it in as you will only end up with the same problem if you keep taking it out.

get some wood filler and fill the old hole. put in a small bit at a time and allow to dry before putting in some more. as it shrinks slightly as it dries.
    make sure the last bit of filler you put in is slightly proud of the stock so you can sand it back flush with the stock. a bit of varnish will seal it up

dont be shy of it. its quiet easy to do;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't use glue, what you have is a sling stud that has a machine thread on it, it's designed to screw into an existing thread in metal.
    What you need is a wood screw threaded sling stud. these can be got from most RFD's for less than a 10'er a set.140018.jpeg

The stud you have will always come loose as the threads are for metal not wood. The studs you see above in CJ's post are for wood with the smaller stud for use in the front of the stock where it will not go through and hit off the barrel.

Using a stud for wooden stock as shown above here is what I did.
    I did a job on my synthetic stock after I did the stud up too tight and pulled it out. I removed the stock from the rifle and drilled a bigger hole where the exsisting stud hole was from the inside of the stock not quite all the way through, used a drill of about 10mm or 12mm. Put the stud back in and held in place with sticky tape and filled up the hole, now with stud in, with epoxy glue. I use a little shoe polish on the stud thread to stop the epoxy sticking to it so I can take it out for when I use a front rest at the range.
    I used a heat gun on the epoxy to allow the epoxy to flow better around the stud and give a faster drying time.

thanks lads thats a great help anyone no where to get a wood stud in galway city? any of the gun shops? Thanks lads...

• Advertisement

Any of the dealers will have them on the shelve. Try Duffy's. You'll get both the front and rear studs in a packet for about €8

Remember to check that rear stock screw as well to make sue it's a timber screw. Those studs carry a lot of wieght and the last thing you need is for the stud to pull out when walking in the fields and your gun to slip off your shoulder. To fix the stud just drill a small hole then screw it in like @poulo65 said to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Anto... wrote: »
    thanks lads thats a great help anyone no where to get a wood stud in galway city? any of the gun shops? Thanks lads...

Try Duffy

www.shoot.ie
    Every RFD I was ever in had a few studs in his cash register. Normally if a RFD is scrapping a gun he keeps all the little universal bits for that very reason

Try Duffy

www.shoot.ie
    Every RFD I was ever in had a few studs in his cash register. Normally if a RFD is scrapping a gun he keeps all the little universal bits for that very reason

had a few studs in his cash register

True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

clivej wrote: »
    had a few studs in his cash register

True

Not sure what you mean there Clive.

Literary or metaphorically

Shotgun beads, sling swivels, sling studs,scope screws etc.
    Any RFD worth his salt keeps all spare accumulated from traded stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

There should be a threaded metal bush inside the stock that your stud screws into, but which is evidently missing in your case.

You just need a shallow nut in the barrel channel, inlet enough so it doesn't touch the barrel.

Advertisement