Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting In Louth

Options
  • 19-12-2010 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Ok folks,

I'm living in Dublin at the moment, I got a new job up in dunleer Co.Louth .....and not sure whether to move to dundalk or drogheda. I've been considering a move up there for a while now, and better make a move within the next 2 months, because of the new job.

I knew a fella that lived in Drogheda, and I couldn't understand a word he said, for example; "Dwaaaaaaaada" ........his accent was impossible to understand!

Is there anyone that could tell me 'nice parts'/'areas to avoid' if possible in both towns?

What are the people like in both towns?

Are there any other areas even to go to(in Louth)???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Dunleer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm a Dub living just south of Drawwwda and I can confirm it is a nice place to live!

Places to avoid: (so I've been told)
    Moneymore
    Rathmullen Park
    Yellowbatter
    Aston Village (for no other reason than it's miles from anywhere, and a bit of a ghost estate)
    Some of the town centre apt complexes - Kermon House is one that is always mentioned.

Nice areas:
    Any estates off the Dublin road, Grange Rath, Wheaton Hall, Roschoill, Five Oaks etc.
    I'm sure there's loads more as well
    Rent is cheaper than Dublin too.

The advantage that Drogheda would have over Dundalk for me is that it is closer to Dublin for visiting friends and family, I can be home in 40mins with a clear road.
    The only thing I think Drogheda is lacking is a good Cinema, there is one being built as far as I know beside Scotch Hall, it's taking it's time though.

Every shop you need is here, plenty of supermarkets, 24hr huge Tesco, 3 Dunnes to choose from, 2 Aldis, 2 lidls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

If you're going to live in Drogheda and work in Dunleer, you should look for somewhere on the north side of the town - going through the town at rush hour can be a nightmare (the only other option being the toll road).

The estates that borderlinemeath mentioned are all on the south side of town.

(I'm a blow-in living on the south side myself, so I don't know many of the estates on the northside, sorry!).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

As a blow in myself, I have been living in Drogheda for over 10 years and think it is a grand town. if you are working in Dunleer, I would def recommend living in the North side. Somewhere like Ashfield would be ideal. there are good restaurants, pubs, etc- on downside as mentioned before, there are no good cinemas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

If you are going to work in Dunleer, why not live there? You`ll have no commute to work, I presume rent will be cheaper than living in either Drogheda or Dundalk and you are only a couple of minutes away from the motorway, should you want to go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keith Dunnny

Thanks everyone who replied.

This thread has helped me a lot. :)

If I move to Drogheda, I hope i'm not affected by the accent.....Because it's impossible to understand, therefore I won't be able to make a lot of friends there (what's the point in making friends that I can't understand).

If I do move to Drogheda, does anyone think it would be strange to be driven out of a town by an accent??

Sorry, what are the people like (overall) in both towns???

Sorry,

I've also been looking at Tullyallen. It's seems like a grand spot.

Would anyone be able to tell me a few points on tullyallen?

Thanks everyone who replied.

This thread has helped me a lot. :)

If I move to Drogheda, I hope i'm not affected by the accent.....Because it's impossible to understand, therefore I won't be able to make a lot of friends there (what's the point in making friends that I can't understand).

If I do move to Drogheda, does anyone think it would be strange to be driven out of a town by an accent??

Sorry, what are the people like (overall) in both towns???

There's a huge population of Dublin immigrants in Drogheda - plenty of people to make you feel at home and understand them.

Also not everybody in Drogheda speaks with the strong accent - (Mars Bar= Maas Baa). Once you get used to it - it's perfectly understandable!

There's a huge population of Dublin immigrants in Drogheda - plenty of people to make you feel at home and understand them.

Also not everybody in Drogheda speaks with the strong accent - (Mars Bar= Maas Baa). Once you get used to it - it's perfectly understandable!
    Thanks,

I actually feel a lot better now after that.

I couldn't stand listening to that drawl of an accent all day. Hopefully i'll get to understand it better if I move there.

Were you ever in Tullyallen? ....and if so, what's it like?

Thanks,

I actually feel a lot better now after that.

I couldn't stand listening to that drawl of an accent all day. Hopefully i'll get to understand it better if I move there.

Were you ever in Tullyallen? ....and if so, what's it like?

Don't know much about it to be honest, a workmate has just moved there (she's married with kids) and seems happy enough. It seems to be a quiet residential area with plenty of families, local shop, chemist, pub, but close enough to Drogheda to be town in 5 mins.

She's a dub blow in as well - and hasn't had an adverse reaction to the locals yet!

• Advertisement

Another thing - Tullyallen is quite close to the motorway exit so you would be in Dunleer in about 10-15 mins driving to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I wouldnt let something as trivial as an accent put me off living in any town in Ireland.While the Drawwda twang is a bit strange alright its not that bad and isnt as bad as some i have come across.(Carrickmacross,Cobh,Belfast to name a few)

Im from Dundalk BTW :)

Don't know much about it to be honest, a workmate has just moved there (she's married with kids) and seems happy enough. It seems to be a quiet residential area with plenty of families, local shop, chemist, pub, but close enough to Drogheda to be town in 5 mins.

She's a dub blow in as well - and hasn't had an adverse reaction to the locals yet!
    Thanks for the info. :)
    Another thing - Tullyallen is quite close to the motorway exit so you would be in Dunleer in about 10-15 mins driving to work.
    Thanks again(I wish I had the ability to 'thank' your posts, when I do i'll thank them). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

Jaysus Kiddd, why not consider Dundalk hey? :D

I used to live in draaaaaaaawda and the accent there is super hey!!!

I love both towns, especially Dundalk. :)

:cool:UP DUNDALK!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Dundalk is great, we have loads of things to do, not too far from Dunleer, close to Newry, people are friendly and it is just great in general. :P

I wouldnt let something as trivial as an accent put me off living in any town in Ireland.While the Drawwda twang is a bit strange alright its not that bad and isnt as bad as some i have come across.(Carrickmacross,Cobh,Belfast to name a few)

Im from Dundalk BTW :)

My other half is from Carrick - it has nothing on some of the northern Monaghan accents - they draw out the words in Carrick but the northern Monaghanese speak far too fast for my understanding.

Jaysus Kiddd, why not consider Dundalk hey? :D

I used to live in draaaaaaaawda and the accent there is super hey!!!

I love both towns, especially Dundalk. :)

:cool:UP DUNDALK!!!:cool:

So you've lived in both towns? which did you prefer?

People seem to think that both town's are rough? I'd love to settle in the countryside like tullyallen but not sure how the job will work out long term

Dundalk is great, we have loads of things to do, not too far from Dunleer, close to Newry, people are friendly and it is just great in general. :P

Thanks,What are the nice/areas to avoid parts of Dundalk?

So you've lived in both towns? which did you prefer?

People seem to think that both town's are rough? I'd love to settle in the countryside like tullyallen but not sure how the job will work out long term
    I did indeed Kiddd!!! .......I'd probably prefer Dundalk out of the two towns. Better transport links, facilities, a good community spirit etc...

Nah the towns are not rough, that's only a myth in both cases!
    I'm sure you'll settle in well in tullyallen, I lived there for many years, and I have to say that you definitely won't be disappointed!!! :)

:)

Avoid Muirhevnamor, Coxes, Saltown and Fatima. Most other places are OK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Also AVOID anywhere close to the college.

I did indeed Kiddd!!! .......I'd probably prefer Dundalk out of the two towns. Better transport links, facilities, a good community spirit etc...

Nah the towns are not rough, that's only a myth in both cases!
    I'm sure you'll settle in well in tullyallen, I lived there for many years, and I have to say that you definitely won't be disappointed!!! :)

Drogheda and Dundalk have a reputation as rough in dublin,suppose you don't know till you live there.

Tullyallen seems nice,I checked out Collon aswell.

Drogheda and Dundalk have a reputation as rough in dublin,suppose you don't know till you live there.

Tullyallen seems nice,I checked out Collon aswell.
    Yeah Collon is actually incredibly underrated IMO. Very sound town.

Dundalk wouldn't be as rough as Drogheda, even though they're not really that rough(well now anyway). There is probably one small part of Drogheda that might be rough, every town has them. But it's hardly going to affect your (town) life.

TommyT wrote: »
    Also AVOID anywhere close to the college.

haha cheers,noisy college student's I assume??

Yeah Collon is actually incredibly underrated IMO. Very sound town.

Dundalk wouldn't be as rough as Drogheda, even though they're not really that rough(well now anyway). There is probably one small part of Drogheda that might be rough, every town has them. But it's hardly going to affect your (town) life.

Suppose with such big town's it's inevitable social problem's will happen! thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

I am a blow-in too and have lived in Drogheda, Dunleer and Dundalk. Have a lot of Drogheda friends but find Dundalk a friendlier town overall.

Drogheda: north side of town would definitely be your best bet for getting to work, somewhere like Mell or Ashfield would be ideal as you would avoid the town traffic or the toll part of the motorway. I hear Moneymore is not very nice but can't speak from experience. Not sure of your problem with the Drawda accent, I can't understand a word somebody with strong Dublin accent is saying :P

Dunleer: not a bad little village (sorry, the locals call it a town :pac:). There's plenty of shops, several pubs and the locals are friendly. I lived in one of the new estates and did not think much to the build quality of the house. I'd probably be still living there otherwise.

Dundalk: I find it easier to get about than Drogheda, traffic does not get as bad. If you lived south side of the town you're still only 15-20 minutes from Dunleer. Some areas have a bit of reputation, personally I would avoid Muirhevnamor, Coxes and close to the college. Blackrock might suit you. Very nice little seaside village 5 minutes from town, friendly people and nice houses.

Along the red barns road is not bad, Stay away from Quay street too.

Blackrock is nice but probably expensive.

Thanks very much for the replies. I was reading there that Dunleer village has suffered badly from the recession.

I had a look at areas arund Dundalk,cooley seems nice,carlingford aswell but I suppose that's going out a good bit.I must check out Blackrock aswell now! Thanks for the help.

Anyone have any experiences on Tullyallen??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

KBarry wrote: »
    Blackrock might suit you. Very nice little seaside village 5 minutes from town, friendly people and nice houses.

Blackrock is great but the rental prices are high.

If your into your sports,whether participating or watching,Dundalk scores well,but all in all there realy wouldnt be a huge diffrence between the two towns.(IMHO)

• Advertisement

KBarry wrote: »
    Not sure of your problem with the Drawda accent.

Jesus bud,I knew a fella from Drogheda once or the toooooouun as he called it,honest to god,he might aswell have been speaking japenese,I couldn't understand him at all! We went on a work trip down to Killarney one time,I had to be his translator!

Advertisement