Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting In Louth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭get_d_hand_in

Jayjus OP the accent not that bad and many would argue its better than listenin to a dubliners. Man up!!!!

Think if your planning on livin in the town and making friends there you'd better stop belittling their accents.

Not from drogheda myself either, theres prob no point in you livin in dunleer, tullyallen, castlebellingham, dromiskin or any village near dunleer as it will probably be to small and village like for a lad from the big smoke like youself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keith Dunnny

Jayjus OP the accent not that bad and many would argue its better than listenin to a dubliners. Man up!!!!

Think if your planning on livin in the town and making friends there you'd better stop belittling their accents.

Not from drogheda myself either, theres prob no point in you livin in dunleer, tullyallen, castlebellingham, dromiskin or any village near dunleer as it will probably be to small and village like for a lad from the big smoke like youself.

Haha your right,that fella from drogheda was one to talk though,he used to complain about our dublin accents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

My other half is from Carrick - it has nothing on some of the northern Monaghan accents - they draw out the words in Carrick but the northern Monaghanese speak far too fast for my understanding.
    LOL.
    Carrick people sound as if they are realy trying to put that accent on,its only when you meet more of them that you realise that it is actualy their genuine accent, and not a major fecking fake accent conspiracy. :pac:
    Cobh is harsh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Thanks very much for the replies. I was reading there that Dunleer village has suffered badly from the recession.

I had a look at areas arund Dundalk,cooley seems nice,carlingford aswell but I suppose that's going out a good bit.I must check out Blackrock aswell now! Thanks for the help.

Anyone have any experiences on Tullyallen??

Carlingford is a bit of a distance from Dunleer - I'm not sure what the road conditions are like up there at the moment, but I doubt they're ideal so you could find yourself unable to get to work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Drogheda and Dundalk have a reputation as rough in dublin,suppose you don't know till you live there.

Tullyallen seems nice,I checked out Collon aswell.

Dublin has a reputation as being rough in Dundalk and Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keith Dunnny

Meeoow wrote: »
    Dublin has a reputation as being rough in Dundalk and Drogheda.

Well in fairness everyone know's that Dublin is the roughest county in Ireland......even it's longest serving resident's!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭get_d_hand_in

Cooley / Carlingford are too far away from dunleer. Ya may as well be in dublin. Drogheda is prob handiest for you if you want to get back to dublin easy. Dunleer and castlebellingham on m1 too so much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Both Dundalk and Drogheda are pretty much the same the only difference is that Dundalk town is laid out better thus traffic is handled better.

I personally wouldnt like to live in Dunleer just because the size of it but thats just me. Blackrock "is the O.C. or Ireland" as said by this young chap but he was right in a way this as this is where most of the richer people live from the greater Dundalk area. Has good public transport to Dundalk think there is a bus every hour till 7.

Lis Na Dara is also a nice new estate, with a lot of young people living there. Just on Muirhevnamor, Old Muirhevnamor is actually quite a nice quite estate as for the rest of them stay well clear, same goes for Coxes (Marian Park and Beechmount Drive).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Places to avoid: (so I've been told)
    Moneymore
    Rathmullen Park
    Yellowbatter
    Aston Village (for no other reason than it's miles from anywhere, and a bit of a ghost estate)
    Some of the town centre apt complexes - Kermon House is one that is always mentioned.

Really??? I'm a Dub blow in living in Yellowbatter and it's a pleasure living there, never have any trouble at all. Most of it's residents are elderly now so I suppose in it's day it could have been a place to avoid but defo not now. I think it's an ideal location in Drogheda, far enough away from the town not to be bothered and close enough to walk back from the boozer.

As for Drogheda itself I've no complaints, very nice place to live. People are definately more friendly than in Dublin. Everything you'll ever need is in Drogheda and its only 30 mins to airport, 45 mins to city. Can't beat it, and a lot cheaper (house wise) than Dublin...or ever 10 mins down the road Balbriggan.

The accent can be a bit offputting but definately not a reason to not consider living here. The town isn't generally a rough place, I'd have no worries stumbling home at 4 in the morning with bag of chips in the pocket :-D But if you go looking for trouble you'll find it pretty easy, especially with the Dub accent - same can be said for most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

tullyallen is ok, i wouldnt recomend lavin park though. can be quite rough. why not try clogherhead or termonfeckin or monasterboice. budget could be a thing too. they quite big houses

• Advertisement
Advertisement