Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shotokan Dojo in Cork?

• 19-12-2010 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, looking for a dojo to train in for the holidays while I'm away from my other dojo. Preferably close to/in the city and reasonable prices.

Also, if someone could answer this it'd be great:
    I started SK about 3 months ago, and was meant to grade at the start of December, but wasn't able to due to circumstances, am I able to grade in another dojo as long as I purchase a licence and grading book?

and also ;):
    Where could I buy a spare white belt? Left mine at home *facepalm*

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Theres Karate in K2C up in Blackpool http://k2c.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

site hasn't been updated in a while, it still running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Mayfield Shotokan:
    http://www.mayfieldrenshukan.com/

K2C are still running I was out at their MA supplies store recently and they showed me around their gym/dojo it's very impressive. I haven't trained with them though just because it's the wrong side of the city for me.

Silver Springs Karate:
    Train in the silver springs hotel. The original instructor retired from the club back in July and there have been some changes so not much info on their website. I think the new instructor is on facebook as "Cork Karate" his name is Joe.

Olympic karate:
    Never trained with this club but I think they are still running.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~olympickarate/

If you are willing to travel a bit outside the city the bandon club is your best bet :D website link in my sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Silver Springs Karate:
    Train in the silver springs hotel. The original instructor retired from the club back in July and there have been some changes so not much info on their website. I think the new instructor is on facebook as "Cork Karate" his name is Joe.

Hi Charlie,

Here is their new website, (a work in progress)

http://www.ginsenkaratecork.com/

And as you can see from that page they (Joe and Paul) have also opened a new dojo teaching Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu exclusively.

http://ku-cork.com/index.html

Slugs, if you can drop in on them they will make you very welcome.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

k2c highly reccomended

• Registered Users Posts: 5 senseijoe

Regarding the afore mentioned clubs, they are all fine Dojo's with instructors who have a lot to offer, you are more than welcome to come visit us at the source fitness center in tivoli although we are on Christmas vacation till Jan 3rd.
    Proper etiquette would require that you mention to your Sensei that you are going to train at another Dojo and as for grading we would need to discuss membership if you were to be considered for grading eligibility.
    If I can be of assistance please give a call you can find my contact details on our website Ku-cork.com (our Shotokan website is under construction)

To you and all the Sensei in Cork we wish you a Happy Christmas and prosperous New year !!!!

Ossu !

Joe.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. Really informative and helpful :)

Though someone still hasn't answered the question on the white belt ;)

Don't worry we can supply you with a white belt regardless of weather you stay with us or not .

Have a good one !

Ossu !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

senseijoe wrote: »
    Proper etiquette would require that you mention to your Sensei that you are going to train at another Dojo

Proper etiquette also dictates that you don't refer to yourself as 'sensei', 'sensei'joe.

And I've never understood the idea that someone should feel that they have an obligation to inform their karate teacher that they're going to train in another dojo. Would you feel the need to tell a tennis coach that you're going to take a few lessons from another guy while you're on holiday?

OP, they'll probably have a spare white belt at the club. If not, I'm sure you can just train without the belt.

• Advertisement

Sensei joe is just how most people know me,I was not aware that refering to myself in this way might be improper, as for tennis I'm not sure if they would care but it has always been good manners to mention to your Sensei that you might visit another Dojo,at least that's the way my Sensei's instructed us.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Proper etiquette also dictates that you don't refer to yourself as 'sensei', 'sensei'joe.

And I've never understood the idea that someone should feel that they have an obligation to inform their karate teacher that they're going to train in another dojo. Would you feel the need to tell a tennis coach that you're going to take a few lessons from another guy while you're on holiday?

OP, they'll probably have a spare white belt at the club. If not, I'm sure you can just train without the belt.
    Only reason I want the belt is for keeping the suit tidy. Otherwise it's very loose and uncomfortable. Heck I'd have worn a rope if I couldn't get a belt (traditional ftw :P)

Fruitlover,
    I stand corrected and disappointed that this was never mentioned or corrected before, still it is more of an affectionate title give to me that I've kinda gotten used to,never considered that it might have been improper for me to use it.
    I personally am not driven by title or ego.

Again thank you .

Joe.

Don't worry about it, and I wouldn't be 'disappointed' - only someone either Japanese or familiar with Japanese customs would be likely to notice this (you'd probably be amazed at the amount of things that western martial artists do that Japanese people would find weird).

To be more gramatically-correct (at least in Japanese) they should be calling you 'Joe-sensei' ;)

and to make you feel even more special:

ジョウ 先生
    Joe Sensei

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Joe, I'll take this opportunity to invite you to post up your clubs details.. HERE .. Please.

Slugs wrote: »
    and to make you feel even more special:

ジョウ 先生
    Joe Sensei

Actually, that would be written ジョー先生 (you elongate the 'o' sound with a hyphen-like bar in katakana, as opposed to the 'u' character that would be used in hiragana) :pac:

Now where's a 'nerd' smiley when you need one...

While you're in your nerdgasm, Mind telling me how to elongate the vowel ;)

Only thing I don't know how to do on the romaji keyboard

And I believe this is the smiley you're looking for :-:o ;)

Try the minus/hyphen key.

*facepalm*

Should've thought of that...

Cheers :D

• Advertisement

Again many thanks for the info and japanese translation of my name.

Be good!

Joe.

Advertisement