Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router bits

Options
  • 19-12-2010 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi im looking for a good router bit set. 30peices plus. I know bits r expensive but does any1 recommend a good brand for a skint :(carpenter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Paul.First do you really need 30 router bits? I manufactured furniture for years.I had lots of bits but only used a select few repeatedly.There is only one way to save money on any tooling, buy the right one not the cheap one. Trend cannot be beaten.They have a craftsman range which is cheaper.Will not hold the edge as long, more resharpening.The advantage is you can have your more used one in the higher grade.I would recommend building a set slowly as you need them.Try calling The Router Centre in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 paul.

cheers for the input.

I probrably dont need 30 bits in fairness, but the idea behind it is if I got a set the the ones I use more often can be replaced with industry standard quality bits.

Im buying tools and bit for the last few months in an attempt to set up my own business. I cant get a job so im trying to creat one.

Ive always had a passion for hardwood and the joinery behind it and love working with wood.

As a carpenter predominantly onsite for the last nine years id really love to have a small setup and any advise in this sector is greatly appreciated.

Ive given myself a deadline of a year to produce a viable income or im packing the family into the car and were off to australia.

I dont really want to leave ireland but brian cowan and his merry men have put me in a tight spot.

Anyway back on topic. I want to make furniture, doors and other nice stuff that give me a feeling of accomplishment as apposed to grabing a hammer and a paslode and working like a lemming for the rest of my life.

Good router bits tend to be fairly expensive and I dont want to spend good money on bits I may not use to often, so Im hoping by gettin a.... lets say foundation set....that I can build upon it as needed.

Again cheers for reply. All educated opinions are vital at this time;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Axminster have a good range of router bits on their site, available as sets or individually in varying qualities. I've used some of their own brand 1/2" bits and found them quite good. I also have a couple of the Trend craftsmen bits and find them good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

the routing centre is your best option for good quality bits. i hae bought heaps of the kit type ones and they dont seem to last near as long asthe individual ones. the routing centre has changed its name though. not sure what its called. its located next to maginn machinery.
    also i worked in furniture and joinery for a few years then fell into site fitting and carpentry when things were good. have set up the last year and half back at original and its tough going in current climate. you can contact me if you want any help or advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,

hope I can jump onto this thread.

I am looking for advice on a router - 1/2" - mainly for diy.
    Have to fix a piece of furniture (rails) so need one and always wanted one :)

so - 1/2" router - any ideas on make & model. Can spend about 150e.

Thx
    K

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It's going to be hard to find a good 1/2" router for that kind of money, new.
    Just a couple of things to look out for when buying - make sure that you get one with constant electronics. I made the mistake of buying one (under a well known routing brand) which didn't have it and it was next to useless under load, even though it had a big motor. I went back to my old Freud 2000vce, which is still taking dog's abuse after 10 years.
    Also, look for a minimum 60mm plunge depth, preferably more. Some of the 1/2" bits are BIG and you might end up putting the machine in a router table so you can use them safely.
    Variable speed is essential too.
    I did a lot of research on 1/2" routers - the two which consistently came out tops were the DeWalt 625 and the Trend T11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

if your only spending 150. try a 1/4" makita trimming router. they look like they are useless, but it for a multitude of tasks. 1/2" routers are handy but you would need to be spending a lot more money for a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

I have a Hitachi 1/2" bolted to a router table. It's 12 years old and still gives its best (changed the bushes twice).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You can't beat a 1/2" router - they can take 1/4" bits too, with the right collet and you get buckets of power.

Advertisement