Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance only covering theft via "forceful AND violent means".

Options
  • 19-12-2010 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of renewing our house insurance and i was curious about a change in the terms & conditions for house insurance from getcover.ie.

Last year their policy covered theft commited via "forceful or violent means". That means you would need evidence of a broken lock or window to show that someone gained access forcefully.

This year its changed to "forceful AND violent means". There's no explanation as to what this means so I wondering if anyone knows. Does it mean for example that someone would have to be injured for a theft to be covered? Would there have to be evidence of reckless breakage of windows or household objects?
    Is it a common term?

Unfortunately we also have a claim in progress at the moment so we can't move from getcover.ie this year even though they've more than doubled the policy price & will add another 20% to that as we are no longer eligible for a no claims bonus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It is nothing too sinister, it's a different way of saying the same thing. It just means that there must be physical evidence of the break in (or out) of the property such as a broken window, jemmied door etc. Therefore, you are not covered if a thief gains entry because you left a window or door open.

Some insurers restrict this condition to losses involving cash or jewellery and some to all theft losses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That's good to hear oldyouth. I wonder why they went to the bother of writing to inform their existing customers of the change.... maybe they're trying to get rid of us by scaring us off :)

That's good to hear oldyouth. I wonder why they went to the bother of writing to inform their existing customers of the change.... maybe they're trying to get rid of us by scaring us off :)
    Does seem a lot of unnecessary bother alright. I've seen insurers stick to either wording for many years. Both are tried and tested to get their point across

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

That sounds a lil unusual, after completing CIP Insurance exams and the fundemental difference between a thieft Claim on a Commercial and Private policy is the Violent and/or Forced Entry and/or Exit is only a requirement on Commercial policies, not private household policies.

Most of the other established companies stick by that rule too.

That's why the likes of getcover.ie, 123.ie, no nonsense's companies are cheap, they are loaded with crazy Endorsments, Conditions, Warranties and Exclusions.

Mr Keek wrote: »
    That sounds a lil unusual, after completing CIP Insurance exams and the fundemental difference between a thieft Claim on a Commercial and Private policy is the Violent and/or Forced Entry and/or Exit is only a requirement on Commercial policies, not private household policies.

Most of the other established companies stick by that rule too.

That's why the likes of getcover.ie, 123.ie, no nonsense's companies are cheap, they are loaded with crazy Endorsments, Conditions, Warranties and Exclusions.
    You may have passed the CIP Mr Keek but (with respect), a bit more experience is needed. Private household policies have always had this requirement when it comes to money and valuables, such as jewellery. It is now becoming common place with regard to all forms of theft losses to eliminate the difference under their policies between theft and larceny

• Advertisement
Advertisement