Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation and prozac or (st.johns wort)

Options
  • 19-12-2010 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I hope im in the right place for askin this question but recently i have had to make the decision between anti depressants or meditation at 22 its not a decision i want to make but is it possible to do the 2. Im not sure but u think you cant do the two or especially not with prozac.

so, thats why im asking does anyone know if its okay to do meditation while taking either prozac or st.johns wort? its not really traditional meditation where you sit for an hour thinkin of nothing, its listening to a track which does require a great deal of focus and it only lasts for 13 mins each time, and apparently it does create new neural pathways in the brain.... i have felt some immense states of being in the moment listening to this track but they dont last long.

so if someone could correct me or explain what meditation does to the brain on a biological level? as i believe it creates more dendrites, and the anti depressants create more serotonin.

see the part im reallly stuck on is if meditation creates more dendrites; and the anti depressants create more serotonin where does the serotonin travel through is it the dendrite or is the dendrite something within a neuron and the serotonin travels along something else and if so whats the problem with doing the 2 wouldnt it just speed up the process of alllieviating the depression. I have tried to find info from the interner but i cant and i dont want to ask psychiatrist/doctor because they can be quite short sometimes.

so any info would be great thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

dont see how it would be a problem, im sure you are in the care of your GP. Run it by them.

What is the name of the track btw? kinda into the meditation myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

meditation is the art of training your mind....... I would think any doctor who is prescribing mind altering drugs for any reason would have no problem with any human being trying to train his/her own mind xxxxxxx

I meditated while giving birth to two babies on my bedroom floor with no intervention or medication....... whatever your mental problems, unless a serious chemical imbalance (such a bi polar or severe mental disorder) can be over come by actually training yourself to think about it..... though if you are already on medication this may hinder the 'thinking' part of it, rendering meditiation useless xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭purplehaze901

it is called enlighten q go on to the www.project-meditation.org website

btw can you read the edited version of my thread it makes a little more sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rockynavan

have you checked out gongbath meditation? or go to a docter that will lisen to you theres more than one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Medical advice from the GPs only, thanks.

Discussions on alternative therapies don't quite fit in here, try long term illness for opinions but no advice perhaps?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement