Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting and the neighbours

Options
  • 19-12-2010 5:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Asking this one for a mate.

Pretty much he has 5 acres of land and hes considering buying a clay trap for himself.

However hes worried about the neighbours. My suggestion was to stand at the very edge of his land (with his back to the neighbours house) and fire up that way over his 5 acres of fields. That way he doesnt have to worry about any stray lead.

But from the edge of his land to the neighbours house is maybe 20-30 yards. And hes worried that they might kick up over the noise. Obviously it wont be at 12 clock at night but still.....

Is he entitled to shoot (in reasonable hours obviously) over his own land in this situation. Or is this just asking for trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For a moment I thought this was in the Dublin City forum. :pac:

Can he not move further away from the house while still maintaining adequate range on his land? Of course it does depend on site layouts.

Could he fit a sound barrier (need not be terribly sophisticated) between the firing point and the neighbours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Asking this one for a mate.

Pretty much he has 5 acres of land and hes considering buying a clay trap for himself.

However hes worried about the neighbours. My suggestion was to stand at the very edge of his land (with his back to the neighbours house) and fire up that way over his 5 acres of fields. That way he doesnt have to worry about any stray lead.

But from the edge of his land to the neighbours house is maybe 20-30 yards. And hes worried that they might kick up over the noise. Obviously it wont be at 12 clock at night but still.....

Is he entitled to shoot (in reasonable hours obviously) over his own land in this situation. Or is this just asking for trouble.

Find out if the neighbours have young children or are older individuals, go to them and just ask would they mind if you broke a few clays, say on a sunday for an hour.
    And say that they would be very welcome to join if they so wished.

That way they could make friends or avoid making enemies

I've often broken clays on my Da's land.
    I was always conscious that in summer even if it is bright the woman next door had kids in bed after 8pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Shooting on the neighbours end of his land is the best pick out of a bad lot to be honest. One side is next to the road. So thats out. Next side is a field full of horses so he cant really be letting off too close to them, next side is his own house and then the other side its the neighbours.

I know the neighbours myself. Its the local butcher. He doesnt have kids and him and the wife are a young enough couple. Mid 30s maybe. My own opinion is they cant be too fussed because the field on the other side of their house is gun club land. And it was that way well before they ever built their house. So Im sure if they'd any serious qualms about gunshots they would have looked elsewhere.

However saying that, you know yourselves. With the hunting its only a couple of bangs every now and then.... with the clays I reckon youd go through a couple of boxes of cartidges a day (quite easily).

BTW Victor... WHats a sound barrier..??? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

there is only one way out of that situation and that is if you chat to the neigbours and explain to them what you want to do if they have a problem with it then you have no choice but to not do it , i'd be more wary about field of horses horses and shots don't go well together ;)
    a 5 acre field is very small it's only a couple of hundred yards wide if you think about it
    if my next door neigbour rattled of a box of clays in the 6 acre filed next door to me i'd be annoyed to be honest if he did it next to field of horses they'd be all over the parish

landkeeper wrote: »
    there is only one way out of that situation and that is if you chat to the neigbours and explain to them what you want to do if they have a problem with it then you have no choice but to not do it , i'd be more wary about field of horses horses and shots don't go well together ;)
    a 5 acre field is very small it's only a couple of hundred yards wide if you think about it
    if my next door neigbour rattled of a box of clays in the 6 acre filed next door to me i'd be annoyed to be honest if he did it next to field of horses they'd be all over the parish

Yeh I know what your saying bout the horses. But if he shoots next to the neighbour the full 5 acres is between him and the horses. So no worrys with the lead. As for the bang.... I dunno, do you think its enough..???

Aswell the horses have a good big field themselves maybe 15-20 acres Id reckon. So hes not too worried about them.

So pretty much it looks as though hes going to have go over and talk nice to the neighbours and see what they say. Maybe if he puts it to them that he'll do it at reasonable times. And wont be shooting for hours every day. Maybe an hour per session or something. THat sounds reasonable enough.

Thanks for all the help lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

does he have to be so close to their house? a shotgun shot wont go across 5 acres. why not go in 100 or so yarsa from the house

an acre is roughly 60yrds by 80yrds so you can work out the dimensions from that a five acre field is smaller than you think nearly anywhere you stand to shoot clays will have shot falling outside the perimeter

Are you sure about that landkeeper....??? I really cant see a shotgun blast going over 5 acres.... :confused: Hmmm well if that is the case what about ligther rounds...??? Maybe a box of 8's or something.

ANd garv the reason its so close to the neighbours house is to give a bit more distance to the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Victor wrote: »
    For a moment I thought this was in the Dublin City forum. :pac:

Can he not move further away from the house while still maintaining adequate range on his land? Of course it does depend on site layouts.

Could he fit a sound barrier (need not be terribly sophisticated) between the firing point and the neighbours?

A wall of square bales should do the trick for noise reduction, especially since the direction of fire is away from the house.

well you know the field i dont but shooting clays means firing into the air so your fallout area will be large optimum trajectory and all that

• Advertisement

A wall of square bales should do the trick for noise reduction, especially since the direction of fire is away from the house.

Really.. THat would work. I never would have guessed that. I was imagining some sort of shed type thing. Dont suppose you'd know how effective a bale wall would be...?? Like would it be a considerable difference...????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

FOr a sound barrier you want density so bales of hay are ideal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

tfox wrote: »
    FOr a sound barrier you want density so bales of hay are ideal !!

And stack them all around the back wall of the neighbours house in front of the windows and eveything.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i love my shooting but i reckon i'd still get pissed off if my next door neighbour was firing a few boxes of cartridges at clays, have ye nowhere else ye could go to do it, i have a trap aswell and i dont even use it on our farm as it would scare the cattle and sheep and would be worried of fences getting knocked, we have a few spots in the middle of nowhere that we go to, one is a forest with lane ways going through it and there is one very good spot for doing it as you can fire them over a valley with nothing but trees in sight anywhere so a good backdrop and very safe as you can keep an eye on the lane way incase anyone is walking there, another place we go to is an old mine that has hundreds of unused acres and can blast away all day long there,

if you cant find anywhere else to do it you'll have to say it to all the neighbours near by and the owner of the horses, the last thing you want is a farmer coming knocking on your door giving out about his horses getting scared and breaking through fences and ditches

I was talking him literally 2 minutes ago. He said hes gonna go and have a chat with the nieghbours.

ormondprop, to be honest hes not a "clay man" he just got a chance of a cheap clay trap and said he'd buy it for the crack. So its not really a case of not having anywhere else to go....

Anyways thought Id let yas all know, I told him about the hay bails and he wasnt pushed on it. So hes just gonna go and see the neighbours and see what they say. If they dont like the idea then hes just gonna pass up. Like I said he just mostly wanted to get it so if he had a few hours spare one of the days... or maybe take the young fella out on a sunday for a few shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Really.. THat would work. I never would have guessed that. I was imagining some sort of shed type thing. Dont suppose you'd know how effective a bale wall would be...?? Like would it be a considerable difference...????

I've hay for sale! :D
    Small Square bales ;) Easy to build a wall with them !
    Or feed the horses after the shooting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sure, although I was thinking something a little more robust, e.g. a short section of solid timber fence.

There are lots of different types.

http://www.avtreefarm.com/files/sound-barrier.htm
    http://www.enoisecontrol.com/sound_barrier_wall.html
    http://www.austin-concretefence.com/noise-barrier.html
    http://www.soundfighter.com/
    http://jshongbang.en.alibaba.com/product/251510846-209429687/Sound_Barrier.html

Advertisement