Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse just blew. Advice appreciated!

Options
  • 19-12-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Was watching TV this morning, and all of a sudden I heard a bang. The TV went off, but all of the lights stayed on. Had a look at the fuse box, and one of the fuses was down. Tried to push it up, but it wouldn't stay up.

Here is a photo of the fuse box.

th.fed45243e5.jpg

Would appreciate any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

unplug all appliances on circuit that TV is on , then try reset elcb/mcb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Thanks Matt. I disconnected all plugs in the house, and now turned off all of the fuses. Now, the MCB will start, but it trips as soon as I turn on number 3 or 4.

Giving my electrician friend a call to see if he can call out to me. Otherwise, are there any electricians in the Swords / Kinsealy area?

plug in each appliance one by one, when the circuit trips again you,ve found a faulty appliance..... possibly kettle , toaster, or something that heats water

mattjack wrote: »
    plug in each appliance one by one, when the circuit trips again you,ve found a faulty appliance..... possibly kettle , toaster, or something that heats water

I have a feeling that it could be the boiler. Would that make sense?

I have unplugged all appliances that I could reach (didn't unplug the fridge or washing machine) and the problem still exists.

whats on circuit three or four....? immersion....?

• Advertisement

Another thing I noticed. One of the sockets with a light in it is showing a much dimmer light that normal.

bd18c0d0a9.jpg

whats on circuit three or four....? immersion....?

Sorry, it is 4 and 5. 4 is the Immersion and 5 is the bedroom sockets.

hi randomer....maybe i.m confusing you a little......you need to unplug as many electrical appliances as is possible..it sounds like there is a fault on an appliance, after you unplug them ..reset what ever breakers have tripped at the board. ..then plug back in each appliance one by one...when it trips again..it may give an indication of where your fault is...also check your immersion/boiler..

ok..turn of your immersion...and try reset everything

hi randomer....maybe i.m confusing you a little......you need to unplug as many electrical appliances as is possible..it sounds like there is a fault on an appliance, after you unplug them ..reset what ever breakers have tripped at the board. ..then plug back in each appliance one by one...when it trips again..it may give an indication of where your fault is...also check your immersion/boiler..

I have unplugged every appliance in the house, but each time I turn back on 4 and 5, they cause the big one to trip. So I can't even get to the stage of turning stuff back on.

The boiler is hard wired, so there isn't the option of unplugging it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help Matt. I just got hold of an electrician friend and he is going to come down and have a look. I am afraid I am going to blow something up!

ok..sorry I can t be of more help to ya...just in case ya think I was firing random suggestions at ya..im not..im an electrician..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Carefully (check door fore heat, sniff for smoke, check for flame) check the boiler, immersion, cooker, etc. - any thing that is permanently connected for signs of burning or fire.

ok..sorry I can t be of more help to ya...just in case ya think I was firing random suggestions at ya..im not..im an electrician..

I really appreciated the help. It was a very good lesson in what to look for.

When my friend arrived, he was able to find two problems. Firstly there was an earth problem, and secondly there was a problem with the MCB. He replaced the MCB and fixed the earth problem, and now all is back working!

Thanks again!

Advertisement