Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaking out, Will this add another semester to my degree?

Options
  • 19-12-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Ok guys, have a repeat exam tomorrow which I have a feeling I will fail again. I went to the lectures, did the work, I just cannot get my head around this subject. I just can't understand it. Was let down quite badly by my lecturer who said he would spend some time with me last week, going over it to help me pass, but he never got back to me about it and now its too late :(

Im in third year, it's a core module for my minor subject (it's a second year module that I'm repeating). Can I substitute it for another module next year? Or will I have to do it again in september? I'm really down about this, and to do my postgrad, I can't be still in college come september.

Help :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Ok guys, have a repeat exam tomorrow which I have a feeling I will fail again. I went to the lectures, did the work, I just cannot get my head around this subject. I just can't understand it. Was let down quite badly by my lecturer who said he would spend some time with me last week, going over it to help me pass, but he never got back to me about it and now its too late :(

Im in third year, it's a core module for my minor subject (it's a second year module that I'm repeating). Can I substitute it for another module next year? Or will I have to do it again in september? I'm really down about this, and to do my postgrad, I can't be still in college come september.

Help :(

I wouldn't blame the lecturer. College is 12 weeks a term so you probably should have gone to them in week 4, not the week before the exams when they will most likely be busiest.

I'm not an expert, but you might be able to compensate or switch module. There is a good thread here on it, I'll see can I find it and post it back.

Don't stress anyway! Try pass the exam. All you need is to at least pass, then you can work from there. Its very hard to fail an exam, it really is. I've gone in to a good few and by the time you ring the questions you've done, and what you think you got in them, you've probably passed.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't. You'd be surprised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

ironclaw wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame the lecturer. College is 12 weeks a term so you probably should have gone to them in week 4, not the week before the exams when they will most likely be busiest.

I'm not an expert, but you might be able to compensate or switch module. There is a good thread here on it, I'll see can I find it and post it back.

Don't stress anyway! Try pass the exam. All you need is to at least pass, then you can work from there. Its very hard to fail an exam, it really is. I've gone in to a good few and by the time you ring the questions you've done, and what you think you got in them, you've probably passed.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't. You'd be surprised :)

I'm not blaming him. I went to collect an assignment off him, and he offered to meet me (because I did so bad in the assignment:o) and said he would be happy to do it. His words! So I'm just dissapointed that he didn't follow through and I've emailed him 3 times.

Thanks for the advice anyway, I'm praying I'll be able to take a substitute module next semester, it's not a subject you can waffle through, it's problem sets where you're either right or wrong so is one that I defo could fail unfortunately :(

I suppose there is still hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Can I substitute a core module?

You will need to go to your Programme Office – this is most unusual and requires Programme Board approval.

Unfortunately if it is a core module you probable won't be able to subsitute it, from here:

http://www.ucd.ie/students/scenarios/scenario3.html

However, don't be thinking about what happens if you fail yet. You haven't taken the exam yet, so don't be adding the extra stress of what ifs. Focus fully on trying to pass the exam now, and deal with whatever else after imo.

You say its something to do with problem sets? Would that fall under the school of mathemeatics? They have a help centre which AFAIK is open during the exams. Or would there be anyone else you know from the class who has passed it that might be able to give you some help understanding it?

Stay positive and you'd be surprised of what you're capable :)

edit: IF you do fail (but don't be thinking about this) you might be able to do a resit in the summer, depending on the module, so that you would be able to start any postgrad you have lined up in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

What's most likely to happen is you'll have to do a resit (just the exam, no classes or assessments) at summer, that is, unless it's offered again next semester.

There are some rare rare modules that you'll have to fully sit again, but most likely you'll have to resit it, and should (hopefully) you pass that you'll be grand-no extra semester..

Hope it helps and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Most modules provide the option of a Resit or a Repeat. Both cost the same amount to do (230 euro) but one is just sitting the exam again and another is repeating the full course. Assignments, tutorials and all.

Not all modules offer an exam for a resit. One of mine last year was a resit assignment. I had three weeks to do it, which made things simple enough.

It depends on what you have to repeat as to what I'd recommend. if it's something with a lot of practical work and not a lot of theory, I'd try repeating the whole subject. Unless you're terrible at practical work (in which case just resit), this means you have another chance to do better in assignments and practicals for higher percentage. I did this for one of my Computer Science courses...and then got completely screwed over due to outside college life and couldn't submit half my practical work anyway... :s

• Advertisement

Thing is I don't think its offered in semester two, so if i was to repeat I'd have to do the whole thing in september. It does give the option for a resit though. Also, it's not a pre requisite for the subjects Im doing in semester 2, so maybe it's not really a core? Oh I dunno it's so confusing :(

It's not maths, but may as well be, it's syntax II, a linguistic module, but it is like maths as in there are rules and formulas to learn and you have to draw these 'tree' structure things. I just don't work well with subjects like that at all, never have.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement though, I'm going to give it a go and hope for the best. If I don't pass I'll be back on here come Jan asking for advice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Looking at the past papers for it there, i don't understand it.

Xbar_tree.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

If a core module is failed I know the general rule is that I cannot substitute the repeat. Does this apply even if there was a choice of core modules at the beginning of the year so I had an option to pick that module or not? And I have a list of core modules to pick from next semester so can substitute the repeat for a new core module.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Looking at the past papers for it there, i don't understand it.

Xbar_tree.png

Believe me I don't understand it either! It's like looking at maths for me, and I was terrible at maths!!

THe subject actually makes me angry because it just seems to have no practical value whatsoever, I will never use this in real life :mad::(

Advertisement