Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty weaning

Options
  • 19-12-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having difficulty with weaning my 9 month old. She was being exclusively breastfed up until about 8 months when i was put on some heavy medication. Because I Was determined to exclusively breastfeed and was unable to get even a trickle out with the pump, I stupidly didn't give my daughter any bottles.

She refused formula for the longest time when she was younger, but she doesnt mind the taste of it now. I put it in her breakfast in the morning and in any of the homemade baby food I make for her. The problem is she wont actually drink it!

She drinks baby juice duringt he day....I managed to get her to finally take it by syringing it into her mouth for the first few weeks till she accepted it from a sippy cup. I tried the same routine with the formula, but it was hard going and didnt work the same. It just go to be too much. I am a single mother, living on her own and studying...I just didnt have the time or energy.

I've been getting 5-8 ounces into her a day through her food. The public health nurse said to me that this was ok as long as she was getting something and to try giving her yoghurt and cheese in her food also. My problem is is 5-8 ounces a day enough? How much should she be getting? And if more, how could I get it into her other than giving her liga and porridge all day?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

As long as she is gaining weight your doing OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Don't be stressing yourself out. She just might not like it. My little one has never drank a drop of formula/milk and it caused me no end of stress when I was trying to wean her from the breast. However, she's now almost 2 and healthy and happy and drinking water and juice to beat the band. She still hates milk though and only has it in her weetabix in the morning - she will not tolerate it in a cup.
    If your daughter is drinking juice and you're happy that she's keeping hydrated that way I wouldnt worry about the formula from that perspective. From a calcium perspective, make sure she has plenty of yougurt/cheese/creamed rice and she won't be lacking anything.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i find ready break is great, my baby eats a adult size portion of this so i'm able to get 5oz's into it. I have heard of babies stopping milk altogether at 8 months and these were bottle fed. Just try your best and try get milk of milk in everywhere you can. In one of the books it recommends cheese sauce as its basically just milk and cheese, you can just put it over veg n meat. It actually quite nice lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ready Brek is full of sugar and really not good for a baby :o

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

As long as she's getting enough vitamins & minerals through her other food, 5-8 oz's should be sufficient, especially if she's getting some cheese & yoghurt as well. At 9 months anyway, you would be starting to reduce the bottles as food takes over more and more, so I would just make sure that she's getting a varied and balanced diet just to make sure she's getting enough nutrients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

just checked ingrediants of it as i thought it said no sugar or salt on the box

its says it has

Wholegrain Rolled Oats (60%), Wholegrain Oat Flour (39%), Calcium, Niacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid (B5), Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.

Doesn't say anything about salt or sugar so i think i'll still give it as she loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Honestly, I think Ready Brek is fine.

It's far far better than any of the baby porridges which ARE seriously full of sugar.

Thanks all, feeling a lot better about it now! Just going to be giving her a lot more cheese and yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ready Brek is full of sugar and really not good for a baby :o
    bulmersgal wrote: »
    just checked ingrediants of it as i thought it said no sugar or salt on the box

Doesn't say anything about salt or sugar so i think i'll still give it as she loves it

Was just going to check this myself, thanks bulmersgal! My wee man has it most mornings; my heart dropped into my stomach when I read that post:eek:. I'm usually really careful about that kind of stuff.

Hacked, my wee fella loves Ambrosia creamed rice-it's 76% milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hacked:)

Have u tried her with normal milk in her bottle? Still tryin to get Sean on the whole milk as I heard its just as good as the formula and cheaper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Hey Ziggy :)

Isobel has only just gone 9 months, and I've been told by public health nurse that their little digestive systems cant handle cows milk until 12 months. Because I am lactose intolerant, I'm holding out with dairy products as long as I can just in case Isobel could be the same! She does like cheese and yoghurt though, so I guess as long as she's getting calcium somehow we should be ok. Like I said, she eats it in her food, so as long as she's hydrated I won't be too worried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

hacked wrote: »
    Hey Ziggy :)

Isobel has only just gone 9 months, and I've been told by public health nurse that their little digestive systems cant handle cows milk until 12 months. Because I am lactose intolerant, I'm holding out with dairy products as long as I can just in case Isobel could be the same! She does like cheese and yoghurt though, so I guess as long as she's getting calcium somehow we should be ok. Like I said, she eats it in her food, so as long as she's hydrated I won't be too worried!

Of course sorry I forgot they have to be a year:rolleyes: By the looks of her she's doin great so just keep doin what ur doin and on the bright side at least u dont have bottles to wash out all the time:D

Advertisement