Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would I need...

• 19-12-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

To get a good quality satellite system that would get the footie and get some English speaking channels?

I'm assuming a motorised 1.1m dish anyway and a dreambox but what else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

To get a good quality satellite system that would get the footie and get some English speaking channels?

I'm assuming a motorised 1.1m dish anyway and a dreambox but what else?

88cm is what I have and I and get all the major sats without any problem at all...

I'm assuming your a newbie, if so - A dreambox is a box that may be very difficult for you to get you head around.

I'd suggest a spiderbox as a great starter, I can't get into the benefits of this box, but a simple google will do that for you.

I use my system mostly for Football, there is so many channels out there showing the big leagues that you would see every game you want to see live without an issue at all.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

Manc-Red wrote: »
    88cm is what I have and I and get all the major sats without any problem at all...

I'm assuming your a newbie, if so - A dreambox is a box that may be very difficult for you to get you head around.

I'd suggest a spiderbox as a great starter, I can't get into the benefits of this box, but a simple google will do that for you.

I use my system mostly for Football, there is so many channels out there showing the big leagues that you would see every game you want to see live without an issue at all.

Best of luck :)

Thanks.

But surely I'd need some sort of card. Would a box and a motorised dish be enough to get Football? I getting rid of sky so I'd need to be able to receive some English speaking stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

what you are on about requires that you learn as you go along, do as the op said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a subscription. Other methods are illegal even to promote under Irish Law.
    Prohibition on interception of services.

9.—(1) No person, other than a duly authorised officer of the
    Minister, shall, in relation to a service provided by a licensee or a
    service provider—

( a ) intercept the service,

( b ) suffer or permit or do any other thing that enables such interception by any person,

( c ) possess, manufacture, assemble, import, supply, or offer to supply,
    any equipment which is designed or adapted to be used for the purpose of
    enabling such interception by any person, or

( d ) publish information with the intention of assisting or enabling any person to intercept such a service.

(2) No person shall—

( a ) knowingly instal or attempt to instal or maintain any equipment which
    is capable of being used or designed or adapted to be used for the
    purpose of enabling such interception by any person, or

( b ) wilfully damage or attempt to damage a system or part of a system operated by a licensee or service provider.

(3) A person who contravenes any provision of subsection (1) or (2) shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) In this section "intercept" in relation to a service means
    receive, view, listen to, record by any means or acquire the substance
    or purport of the service or part thereof supplied by a licensee or
    service provider without the agreement of the licensee or service
    provider.

From The Broadcasting Act 1990 (Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Thanks.

But surely I'd need some sort of card. Would a box and a motorised dish be enough to get Football? I getting rid of sky so I'd need to be able to receive some English speaking stations.

78cm dish, cyfra card or an al jazeera card works for me

• Advertisement

Stuff working with 80cm in Waterford, in Rain, may need 110cm in West.

Also what works in Clear Sky may not when it rains. Never skimp on Dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

watty wrote: »
    You need a subscription. Other methods are illegal even to promote under Irish Law.

Doesn't this just apply to broadcasting of an Irish source and/or Irish registered companies?
    I don't endorse assisting or enabling any person to intercept such a service and I am not urging the OP to go anywhere near that route but Irish law would hardly cover the reception of say, Russian or Arabic broadcasts?

If they are pay TV and you circumvent paying, then that's theft of service. Nothing stopping you getting a subscription, if you can't get a subscription then there is no legal way to watch it. Sky is really a foreign service that happens to be customised and marketed to Ireland. All Sky VAT goes to UK.

FTA Tv there are limitations too:
    You can't feed a cable system, Public Web Streaming, retransmit (deflector or Satellite) or play the channel in a public place without appropriate permissions. FTA is only free for private users, not for commercial redistribution.

There is only really one reason to have certain Satellite boxes and need an Internet connection to receive the channel. Promotion of it is a crime in Ireland.

If you don't like it Join the Pirate Party, get elected and change the law. Of course the Broadcasters might then sue the Goverment.

Advertisement