Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tron the Film In Drogheda - Don't go to Boyne Cinema!

Options
  • 19-12-2010 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

If anyone thinking of going to see the "Tron" sequel film in Drogheda, my advice to ye would be to go to a different cinema.
    Wife and I went last night and YET AGAIN (mind you its ALL the time), the film was out of focus and blurred as hell.
    Every film we have gone to see in the Drogheda cinema for the last year at least, screen 3 (the main one) at Boyne Shopping centre has been blurred and out of focus.

Stay away and go elsewhere. This is the ONE film you will want to see due to the high spectacular nature of the graphics (or supposed to be - we didn't see them in the Boyne Centre dump) but the imagery shown in Drogheda are a disgrace.
    We are going again to see it in Dublin in a proper cinema with actual working projectors and screens that are not marked and cut to hell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This is probably not the case but are you sure you did not go to see Tron 3D and not wear the 3D glasses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Saruman wrote: »
    This is probably not the case but are you sure you did not go to see Tron 3D and not wear the 3D glasses?
    LOL
    I wish it was that easy!

No, it was the normal set-up.
    I've gone to 3D films before by the way so know a 3D film on screen when I see it.

The staff outside (the only ones around, young and agreed with me) stated that "yes, it was a bad situation" and (they said) there was no indication of anything ever changing as to the quality of their projection system.
    They, themselves said that they'd love to see a 3D image version of it in Drogheda but there was NOT A HOPE IN HELL of the cinema owners ever doing that.
    A money issue apparently and a lack of 3D projectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Biggins wrote: »
    "yes, it was a bad situation" and (they said) there was no indication of anything ever changing as to the quality of their projection system.

Madness :eek:

Saruman wrote: »
    Madness :eek:
    I think word might have already got around.
    There was five there last night including myself and the wife.
    I accept bad weather and all that but FIVE for the whole town!

The sooner the new cinema multi-complex is built in the next phase of Scotch Hall (yes, sadly I know we will be waiting), the Boyne centre is then thankfully doomed to history.
    In the meantime, I suspect others are going elsewhere to Dundalk or more likely Dublin as we do when we get the rare chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Is that the big screen Biggins, or one of the small **** ones that hold like 30 people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree Biggins.

Ive had the same problem with the picture in Drogheda. Dont really go there anymore (goto Balbriggan).

Saw Avatar in the Ashbourne cinema and will defo not be going to Tron in Drogheda!

Sooner the new cinema is built the better.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Is that the big screen Biggins, or one of the small **** ones that hold like 30 people?
    Main big one, on the inner left hand-side, No 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Main big one, on the inner left hand-side, No 3.
    I was planning on going soon, best stick to Dublin so!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I was planning on going soon, best stick to Dublin so!
    I wish we had - but with 4 kids, its hard to get a sitter that long which would allow us to get up there and back for the film.
    So we were stuck with having to suffer through the Drogheda Cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Anytime we want to see a movie we go the Pavilions or (once in a blue moon) that big one on Parnell St.
    Pav is handy though, 30 mins from wheaton hall.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Gas they still call it screen 3 when screen 1 and 2 are a cash trader and a golf shop before that.

Is it a case of bad out of date equipment not being up to task or poorly maintained (place must be 15 years old now) or is it the person in charge of the projector thats the issue ?

calex71 wrote: »
    Gas they still call it screen 3 when screen 1 and 2 are a cash trader and a golf shop before that.

Is it a case of bad out of date equipment not being up to task or poorly maintained (place must be 15 years old now) or is it the person in charge of the projector thats the issue ?
    I think it is just poor worn out machinery. Every film (and I mean EVERY film) we have seen for some time now in the place has been throughout the whole film(s) been out of focus, just wavering from minute to minute, back and forth between just blurred and very blurred and back again repeatedly till the end.

Tron was really the final straw for us. The previous film we saw there was the latest Harry Potter film and that was same (like many before) but didn't have to be a pin sharp (to follow what was happening and appreciate the film creation itself) as Tron HAS TO BE and was created to be given its digital/3D background (available elsewhere) more so in creation and display visually.

Anyone attending the Drogheda screen don't even get basic digital sharp quality. What you get is like looking at a video tape that has been recorded over too many times!
    And for over €8.50 an adult head, its a disgusting disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

furiousox wrote: »
    Anytime we want to see a movie we go the Pavilions or (once in a blue moon) that big one on Parnell St.
    Pav is handy though, 30 mins from wheaton hall.

Yup...I had a few bad experiences with the aforementioned cinema and now use the pavillions all the time. Hassle free booking and proper tiered seating.

To add insult to injury - and in no way am I saying it was the fault of the cinema, it wasn't - as we got up to leave, one of the other three people sitting behind us further up, that were in the place, chucked a bottle at us and ran out.
    (It JUST missed the wifes head)
    ..Which is why I ended up chatting to the staff minutes later and we had a good conversation about various things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I wrote a lovely review of the place the one and only time I have been there. Not surprised to hear the standards haven't changed.

I usually go to Balbriggan or Ashbourne now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

OP, did you get your money back?

Dermo wrote: »
    OP, did you get your money back?
    No, the person that worked the office till had scampered, long gone. Only left was the clean-up staff who couldn't (understandably) access any revenue.
    Scotty # wrote: »
    I wrote a lovely review of the place the one and only time I have been there. Not surprised to hear the standards haven't changed.

Thanks, read that review. Spot on.
    The place with its screen, its picture quality, etc is a disgrace.
    As for one older person that is often found working the ticket box office, my god, if she worked for me, she'd be fired in a flash.
    Her attitude to the customers is rotten. Sort of "Go away, your disturbing me. I don't really want to be here" and a permanent sour pussed, miserable face staring back at you, if ever I saw one.

The town is crying out for a decent cinema. The Boyne Shopping Centre dump isn't one!

As for one older person that is often found working the ticket box office, my god, if she worked for me, she'd be fired in a flash.
    Her attitude to the customers is rotten. Sort of "Go away, your disturbing me. I don't really want to be here" and a permanent sour pussed, miserable face staring back at you, if ever I saw one.

The one that used be in the Abbey ? /Shudders

calex71 wrote: »
    The one that used be in the Abbey ? /Shudders
    Thats the one.
    I really couldn't believe my eyes when the person turned up one day in the other.

Wait and see. When (dear god let it be soon!) the next phase of Scotch Hall goes finally ahead, she will probably apply to work there in the new proposed cinema section and the next thing ya know, up that person will pop again!
    There's no escaping that person it seems!

Thats the one.
    I really couldn't believe my eyes when the person turned up one day in the other.

Wait and see. When (dear god let it be soon!) the next phase of Scotch Hall goes finally ahead, she will probably apply to work there in the new proposed cinema section and the next thing ya know, up that person will pop again!
    There's no escaping that person it seems!

"Wizened Old Hag", they should really show that movie there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Not long ago I went to see narnia in 3D here in imc Dundalk. the trailors were more interesting in 3d than the actual film. there was nothing 3D about it at all.

Yet just another marketing scam to get you in the door I suppose by advertising it as 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Whats interesting about your review was this was before they "done it up".

I know a few of the staff in the cinema and they are all great guys, but they do put up with some crap from the owners.
    Its an unfortunate cycle:
    Bad cinema experience > not returning > less custom > less money to spend on doing what needs to be done to the cinema > back to the start.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Whats interesting about your review was this was before they "done it up".

I know a few of the staff in the cinema and they are all great guys, but they do put up with some crap from the owners.
    Its an unfortunate cycle:
    Bad cinema experience > not returning > less custom > less money to spend on doing what needs to be done to the cinema > back to the start.
    Well the screen is still in a bad state, the projection system still sucks - if anything its got much worse!

The young staff are great and friendly, no problem there but seriously, the place itself is under bad ownership.

Well the screen is still in a bad state, the projection system still sucks - if anything its got much worse!

Thats what im saying. It was a great refurb, really looked well.

Then less than a year later and it nosedives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

CMpunked wrote: »
    Thats what im saying. It was a great refurb, really looked well.

Then less than a year later and it nosedives.

Did they replace the manager during the renovations? That would be the fisrt task in improving the place.

Did they replace the manager during the renovations? That would be the fisrt task in improving the place.

couldnt say for sure.

If they did they didnt do a great job!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I have long since given up on the cinemas in Drogheda. The one in Balbriggan is far superior and just as easy to get to now :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

I'm based in London but am buying a place in drogheda. The first place I'm visiting is this cinema. Apparently they even edit the movies themselves so they can fit more showings in per day. Ha, wtf!

walsh350 wrote: »
    I'm based in London but am buying a place in drogheda. The first place I'm visiting is this cinema. Apparently they even edit the movies themselves so they can fit more showings in per day. Ha, wtf!

LMAO.
    where did you hear that? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

As I say I'm looking to buy a place in drogheda so was trying to find any info on the place I could. I came across this headcases web page.

Copied and pasted:

Drogheda Cinema. More and more I hear of local people going to the cinema outside Drogheda. Those with cars, etc have been telling me that they refuse more now, to go to the Drogheda ones. Instead they travel to Dundalk and Stillorgan, etc. I can understand why. Here are a number of reasons just personally observed by myself. 1. They cut the films. When the first part of the "Lord of the Rings" was out, I went to see it in Dublin, I am a big fan of the combined books. However, my wife later that week wanted to go see it also when she was able to. So personally not minding seeing a second showing, we went to the Drogheda cinema. It was only half way through the film when I suddenly realised that parts of the film were missing from what I had seen in Dublin! Long story short -I found out from sources, they cut the film by 15/16 minutes in Drogheda so that the owners could get in an extra showing per day to maximise their daily profits. Ever since on the very rare occasion I have gone back, I have noted the same thing happening again and again. I make a note of the time the film is supposed to last according the write-ups and compare them to our cinema. Folks, there is quite often a difference. 2. The dirt. In one cinema room there is a (mineral) stain on a screen where someone has thrown their drink. Its so big its sticking out a mile. It has been there on the screen for nearly two years now and not yet have I seen it been cleaned yet. Don't get me started either on how they keep people waiting while they clean up! Have you seen the state of the screens in Drogheda? 3. My wife personally seen a rat running across the cinema floor. She screamed as you would expect and ran out. 4. The cost. For lesser money that we pay in Dublin where we go, we get better seating, better inner building facilities, food, café and child minding services. Go to the cinema at the back of the Ilac centre if you wish to see how a cinema ought to be run and build. It's like a five star hotel compared to the Drogheda dump. In one cinema room they actually have loads of masking tape sealing up defaults in the floor. I have personally seen people tripping over the stuff as they make their way across in the rows of seats. Instead of correcting the problem straight away, it seems they are waiting instead for a lawsuit to claim against them for the first serious casualty. Someone is going to trip and hit their head against a seat, wall or worse. It's only a matter of time. Expect it to be settled out of court -if it hasn't already! They won't want the publicity. Guess what -TOO LATE. 5. I have got so tired of going to a film in Drogheda and complaining to the staff that the projectionist had the film either consistently fuzzy, parts of the film were missing on the left/right-hand side of the screen, the reels were off centre, the words were cut off and the sound was too low or in some cases non-existent! 6. Every time I have gone to the cinema here in town there is one member of staff that scows at you as you buy your ticket. Why, I don't know but you get the impression that by going up to the ticket desk, you have disturbed her from reading her womans magazines which she keeps under the counter! What a sour-puss of a face she has. I have yet to see her smile. 7. Times! Now there's a laugh. If the local cinema says that the film is starting at 8.00 pm, I can bet you 99 times out of a hundred that by 8.15/8.20 the films has yet to start. A minor gripe you might say but consider just for example, those that have to make arrangement for babysitters, etc, only to find out when they get to their film that once again, there is a delay in the starting time. Then there is parents picking up their children! Don't get me started on their film times. "Professional timing" is not a phrase that will be found used in the Drogheda Omniplex. 8. Myself and others have noticed this next problem a lot. The cinema in Drogheda is regularly a week or two behind the rest of the country with showing a film out any particular week. If your looking forwards to seeing a film that has been advertised to be "showing next week" for example, DO NOT EXPECT THAT TO APPLY TO OUR PRESENT DROGHEDA CINEMA. We seem to be exempt from the rest of Ireland! It has been reported and personally noted too that they are holding back films, some times by weeks. The reasons are obvious. The owners know that an average person will only go/be able to see so many films in one week. Fair enough but to delay it while the rest of the country moves on -Drogheda shows instead either something stupid and old or something that has been in the cinema weeks -AGAIN! A lot of people that I know, have now had enough. We are going elsewhere with our money. *** Feel free to join the club. There are a lot more reasons and I am not the only one giving out. Thee sooner the new cinema opens up in Drogheda the opposite side of the Boyne, the better. The dump that now operates in Drogheda will soon be out of business. I suspect that the owners will stupidly be scratching their heads as to why they are no longer popular but when the local community are able to finally see a proper omniplex, they will see the light (no pun intended) and protest finally with their wallets and feet.

Advertisement