Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tron the Film In Drogheda - Don't go to Boyne Cinema!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

cant believe that! i saw all 3 lotr there lol,i still go the odd time when im not in mood to drive to swords

complained 3 times during one movie about it been out of focus and they still couldnt get it right. I hope a new cinema happens soon but we've been saying this for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

walsh350 wrote: »
    As I say I'm looking to buy a place in drogheda so was trying to find any info on the place I could. I came across this headcases web page. http://www.theruddsite.com/drogheda_related.html

I think the person you are referring to is a regular poster here :D.

The cinema in Drogheda is not good, often smelly and the floors are sticky, we usually go to swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

He not very happy about the disabled parking sign outside dunnes either. Apparently it faces the shop and not the road, haha. Anyone know if its still like that? :D

Also, editing film is quite a skilled job, especially if your doing it straight on the reels, you need to physically cut sections out with a razer blade.
    If that cinema is actually doing this but won't even wipe the drinks stain off the screen. LMAO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He not very happy about the disabled parking sign outside dunnes either. Apparently it faces the shop and not the road, haha. Anyone know if its still like that? :D

Also, editing film is quite a skilled job, especially if your doing it straight on the reels, you need to physically cut sections out with a razer blade.
    If that cinema is actually doing this but won't even wipe the drinks stain off the screen. LMAO!

The sign is still that way (I know because I have a brother that is physical and mentally disabled and have noted this sign when in a car that is parking - people parking in the disabled spaces say they didn't see the sign and then the disabled are left totally blocked out from the VERY few spaces there is in the whole town) and the shortness of the film in question was done during the switch of reels by the projectionist.
    The stains on the screen are a well known item.

Do you work for the cinema in question - I find your rhetoric comments highly suspicious and in the least sneeringly caustic!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

That blogs been taken down since this morning.

• Advertisement

Sneeringly caustic?

Am I being offensive? Not intended...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Biggins wrote: »
    ...the shortness of the film in question was done during the switch of reels by the projectionist.

Do they still use reels of film down there?
    I thought it was all digital now?

CPL 593H

So did I. If the equipment is old then maybe not..

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    As I say I'm looking to buy a place in drogheda so was trying to find any info on the place I could. I came across this headcases web page.
    I think the person you are referring to is a regular poster here :D.

The cinema in Drogheda is not good, often smelly and the floors are sticky, we usually go to swords.

Ah I hope I havn't offended him by calling him a headcase, only having a banter like:) I enjoyed that blog, shame its gone now. It gave me an insight into what day to day life is like in drogheda, if anything it made me like the place more. Deffo going to visit soon to look at property. :)

At the time of Lord of the Rings in Drogheda, they were using reels.
    The symbol (that shows up in the top right corner indication the timing for a projectionist to begin the changeover of reels) was obvious to those who are into films big time and/or know of its existence and sometimes spot it more.

See here for explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_projector#Two_reel_system
    ...As the outgoing reel approaches its end, the projectionist looks for cue marks, at the upper right corner of the picture. Usually these are dots or circles, although they can also be slashes. (Some older films have occasionally been known to have used squares or triangles, and even positioned the cues in the middle of the right edge of the picture.) The first cue appears twelve feet (3.7 m) or eight seconds at 24 frame/s before the end of the reel, and signals the projectionist to start the motor of the projector containing the incoming reel.

After another ten and a half feet (3.2 m) or seven seconds at 24 frame/s, the changeover cue should appear, which signals the projectionist to actually make the changeover. When this second cue appears, the projectionist has one and a half feet (457 mm) or one second at 24 frame/s to make the changeover - if it doesn't occur within one second, the tail leader of the outgoing reel will be projected on the screen.

On some projectors, the operator would be alerted to the change by a bell that operated when the feed reel rotation exceeded a certain speed (that reel rotates faster as the film is exhausted), or based on the diameter of the remaining film (Premier Changeover Indicator Pat.411992), although many projectors do not have such an auditory system.

By the way, the current Digital Theater Systems (DTS) still only has a 90 minute capacity in time length so still a second disk is needed for longer films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yeah I knew about the cue marks (remember fight club? ;))

CPL 593H

You'd think if they are using a digital system it would simply be a matter of adjusting the focus...I think somebody just needs to read the manual, ha

furiousox wrote: »
    Yeah I knew about the cue marks (remember fight club? ;))

Some of them are very obvious indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

the last time i remember complaining about blurryness was during monsters vs aliens(2009), i stuck my head into the back room and it most certainly wasnt digital! i doubt very much thats changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Havent been to drogheda cinema in years. And hope never to return to it. Swords and the Savoy are the only places ill ever go see a movie.

Its manky, screen is filthy, and if you go to the cinema screens down the back by the toilets, there is a rotten smell of of the toilets.

Advertisement