Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub prices

Options
  • 19-12-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

4.50 for a pint of Heinkein In Kilkenny last Thursday night ,no wonder that pub was empty.It is 3.80 in my local for the same drink. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

did you buy one? if so that's the reason for the price. publicans will charge exactly what they can get away with. people buying at that price justifies their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

try drinking in Dublin sometime ... prices have been above €5 per pint in most places for years.

if you paid it - then you are accepting the price.... if you consider it too expensive - walk away...goto another pub....and another pub...or just goto an off licence or supermarket and get some drinks to have at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

most pints in carlow are 4.45-4.55

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Thats why we don't get tourists and stag party's coming to Ireland much anymore .... its toooooooooo expensive. There are no Happy Hours. There are no promotions. The UK is soooooooooo much cheaper to go out. You even get 24 bottles of Bulmers in Tesco for £20. Thats a deal.

Thats why we don't get tourists and stag party's coming to Ireland much anymore .... its toooooooooo expensive. There are no Happy Hours. There are no promotions. The UK is soooooooooo much cheaper to go out. You even get 24 bottles of Bulmers in Tesco for £20. Thats a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

How about this: €8.85 for a whisky (single) and coke in Oliver St John Gogarty in temple bar. The can of coke was €3!!! How can anyone justify that. Funnily enough we left after 1 drink!

****tt. Thats madness. Temple Bar must be a ghost town!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As far as I'm aware, 'happy' promotions such as 'happy hour' and 'happy *day of week*' are illegal in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

rip-off, n.
    An act of stealing, a theft; (hence) a fraud, a swindle; (more generally) any instance of esp. financial exploitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

free market, not a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'd consider €4.50 for a pint quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

did you buy one? if so that's the reason for the price. publicans will charge exactly what they can get away with. people buying at that price justifies their decision.

Yes I did buy one but one only,and I agree as long as we keep buying it they will keep charging those prices.

But surely 4.50- 5.00 are celtic tiger prices as far as i can see most thing have come down in price except Drink in pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

availed of this deal myself at the weekend.
    Just be aware though, in the north (and the uk) Bulmers is not the same as the Bulmers we have in Ireland, and the UK Bulmers its muck!

Anyone heading North, it is Magners your looking out for. Magners is repackaged (Irish) Bulmers.

24 x PINT bottles of Bulmers (apple or pear) for twenty quid, now that is a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

steve9859 wrote: »
    How about this: €8.85 for a whisky (single) and coke in Oliver St John Gogarty in temple bar. The can of coke was €3!!! How can anyone justify that. Funnily enough we left after 1 drink!

how can they justify that pricing, would rather stay at home than spend that kind of money, is there a ceiling on the prices they can charge

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

Went into Fitzsimmons last monday night for a drink as it was practically the only place with people, asked the barman price for a pint/bottle - 6.05:eek:
    We didnt stay for even one. ridiculous, can't believe people would pay that...

ended up in the Czech inn (?) across from the turks head. place isnt good but at least the drink prices were reasonable...

I really don't know how pubs are surviving in Ireland with these bar prices!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As far as I'm aware, 'happy' promotions such as 'happy hour' and 'happy *day of week*' are illegal in Ireland.

You can have a "happy day", the actual law is that you can not lower the price upon opening. So many pubs might open at 5pm and put up prices at 7pm, this is like bars still allowed put up the price at 11.30 to cover late pub licence fees and "out of hour wages".

It is also open to loopholes, like they could have a cheap vodka that mysteriously only comes into stock at 7pm and runs out at 8pm each day.

Diceys (on harcourt street) is free in if you are there early enough, not sure of the time, maybe 8. It is €2 on tuesday, 3-wednesday, 3.50-thursday and 4 on fridays (last time I was in anyway which is maybe a month ago). This is for pints (even paulaner) and bottles, and on paricular days it is other things too, like jager bombs, or shots. Also burgers & curry chips or similar are the same price as the drinks on those days -dunno how they do it, its the only time I ever considered smuggling drink OUT of a pub!

I don't particularly like the place but its fine for a quick few at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh. €5 (on special down from €5.80) for 500ml of local cider in Clermont last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think prices are dropping unless you want to be seen in a 'cool' pub. You can have a damm good Pub Crawl in Galway now for less than 30euro.
    Was in Dublin last week and the most I paid for a pint was 3.80 (except for The Olympia which was 4.90 for a plastic Guinness but that a different scenario).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

all the pubs in my area charge 4.50 for a pint of bulmers! so can't even go to another pub instead. my local does a 3pints for a tenner offer weekdays often though which is quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Was out in Amsterdam on Saturday, 6.00 for a 380ml glass of beer .. ffs :)

If I was less tipsy and gave a sh*te I would have went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A brown bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

hdowney wrote: »
    all the pubs in my area charge 4.50 for a pint of bulmers! so can't even go to another pub instead. my local does a 3pints for a tenner offer weekdays often though which is quite good.

3 for a tenner, not bad, where is that, is he independent?

mcwhirter wrote: »
    3 for a tenner, not bad, where is that, is he independent?

i haven't d foggiest if he is an indo - how do i tell!!!!

the leitrim in wicklow town :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

Totally agree. I have given up drinking in Dublin city centre. A total ripoff and the publicans try to justify their exorbitant prices for a pint or short by quoting third party costs all the time. Yes commercial rates are too expensive and insurance costs are always on the up.
    But the publicans increased their margins by 150% during the Celtic Tiger years and now they are paying a very heavy and expensive price for their selfishness.
    I remember complaining to a barman in a pub off Grafton St about the price of the pint and he told me to go somewhere else if I didn't want to pay his prices, as 'there are plenty of people who will pay it'.
    That was 2007. I looked into that pub on a Saturday evening the other week and it was empty. One fellow reading the paper and another watching football.
    Oh yes a big TV plasma screen had been added since I was last there, but no customers to watch it.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    try drinking in Dublin sometime ... prices have been above €5 per pint in most places for years.

if you paid it - then you are accepting the price.... if you consider it too expensive - walk away...goto another pub....and another pub...or just goto an off licence or supermarket and get some drinks to have at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

That's called a 'cartel'. So the publican is encouraging you to drink more than, perhaps, you want to drink during the week by introducing a special offer of three pints or a tenner.
    Walk away,.

hdowney wrote: »

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There are some deals to be had in Shannon. One pub does €3 pints on a Friday, another does it on Saturday and another on Sunday. Just a shame id never drink in any of them so its €4.30 for a pint where i do drink

kevin99 wrote: »
    That's called a 'cartel'. So the publican is encouraging you to drink more than, perhaps, you want to drink during the week by introducing a special offer of three pints or a tenner.
    Walk away,.

Eh no. It's called an offer.

:rolleyes:

yea i mean i go in and order a pint. barman asks do i want 3for10. i think about it. if i am gonna drink three then yea deffo. if i only went in for 1, then no. i only pay for one. so i don't see the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

kevin99 wrote: »
    Walk away,.

Man you must get really upset in Tesco :)

Advertisement