Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DNS server errors/issue

• 19-12-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Hi,first time posting in the Computer & Tech section so i hope this is in the right place...

For the last 5 or 6 months (possibly longer) ive been experiencing DNS errors while using the internet,where my wireless signal icon is (bottom right beside the clock) every so often i will get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark (!) over the wifi signal icon and it stops accessing webpages,sometimes for long periods of time and sometimes going from running perfectly to DNS error and back again quick enough....

ive been putting off doing anything about it because it hasnt really started to annoy me until recently...

ive used this guide,changing the DNS settings over and back between the two given but it hasnt done much good really :
    This issue can occur by incorrect DNS settings. I suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Right click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click "Properties".
    3. Click to select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and then click "Properties".

4. In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.222.222

5. Click 'OK' twice to complete the modification.

If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate your help in clarifying that if the network is based on a router or a DSL modem. If there is a router, please bypass it and connect to DSL modem directly for a test.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/eeb84518-903d-46d1-9398-80cf211878d7

im using:
    Windows 7 with Mozilla Firefox
    Compaq Presario cq71 laptop
    Belkin Wireless Router Model:F6D4320-4 v1
    and an NTL modem i got from them 5 years ago (Sticker on the underneath says NTL:250)

any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks guys and girls!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Hi

There may be issues with your current DNS Server. I would always recommend setting it to automatic and letting your ISP handle but here's something you can try also

Try using opendns - http://www.opendns.com/
    Their DNS servers are

Put these in manually using your instruction set above, reboot everything including the router, start browsing after a few minutes and wait for them to kick in (normally takes a few minutes so be patient with errors).

Use Ctrl + F5 a lot during first session (forces a refresh at Server and DNS Cache level)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Thanks for the reply,i will try that later when im home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

2. Right click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click "Properties".

Note that if your using wifi, the connection you should be selecting is the one that has 'wireless' in it and not the one that says 'local area connection', which you might be inclined to pick because of the wording in the instructions.

Well OP?

Come on, don't keep us in suspense....
    Did you fix the problem?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

dnme wrote: »
    Hi

There may be issues with your current DNS Server. I would always recommend setting it to automatic and letting your ISP handle but here's something you can try also
    Their DNS servers are

Put these in manually using your instruction set above, reboot everything including the router, start browsing after a few minutes and wait for them to kick in (normally takes a few minutes so be patient with errors).

Use Ctrl + F5 a lot during first session (forces a refresh at Server and DNS Cache level)

In general would also agree however while I find NTL/UPCs broadband service generally excellent, I have always felt their DNS servers are not the greatest in terms of reliability, albeit it has been well over a year since I switched over to using OpenDNS for good.

They may have improved since but I have no intention of finding out. ;)

• Advertisement

Well OP?

Come on, don't keep us in suspense....
    Did you fix the problem?

I am sorry,i havent got near the laptop since,using my phone at the minute.
    It'll be tonight before i get at it,thanks lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Bear in mind that the issue may not necessarily be just DNS. Keep a couple of site IPs handy for the next time it drops, and then try visiting those sites. (e.g. http://213.251.145.96/ )
    If you still get errors you'll need to look at other factors.

Hi

Their DNS servers are

ok ive followed this and so far so good!
    i hope it works,keep ya posted on it.thanks again!!

problem is back again...:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

barryd09 wrote: »
    problem is back again...:confused::confused::confused:

But you can reach sites by IP only?

• Advertisement

I'd say you are having issues at the physical or network layer. DNS is just the manifestation of a deeper issue.

It's time to look up and post your noise to signal ratios and do a few speed tests. Have Eircom check the line. How far are you from exchange etc. Could also try borrowing a good router from a mate and trying it.

Get rid of any extra phone extension kit, get rid of any excess extension wire etc. Setup your connection to be as clean / short as possible.

I'd say you are having issues at the physical or network layer. DNS is just the manifestation of a deeper issue.

It's time to look up and post your noise to signal ratios and do a few speed tests. Have Eircom check the line. How far are you from exchange etc. Could also try borrowing a good router from a mate and trying it.

Get rid of any extra phone extension kit, get rid of any excess extension wire etc. Setup your connection to be as clean / short as possible.

no phone extension (or phone/landline) to worry about.the connection is wifi and the problem only really started when i got a new laptop with windows 7.
    like my internet will work perfectly for ages and then for a period of anything from 1 minute to 20 mins will act up,very frustrating if youre looking to get something done.
    how do i know the ip address of a site so i can just browse that way for the time being?

merry christmas to one and all btw!

Some options

Update the drivers for your wireless card on laptop.

Try temporarily disabling any anti-virus.

Reposition router, try it at different angles, on its side, standing etc. Try and get closer to it.

Order a good long 10-20 meter Cat5e cable and use that instead of wifi.

Order a new wireless card - they are a Mini PCIe form factor. Google your model and check whether it is a half or full card. Get yourself an Intel 5300 or similar.

Advertisement