Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Place Opposite Taaffes

Options
  • 19-12-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Anybody know anything about this place? Can't think of the name of it at the moment but am I correct that he has something written about 'well-known galway produce' or something like that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

The new fish and chip shop? It's called Mick Fitz or something like that, hopefully the food will be better that Kettle O' Fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's to be a fish and chipper... It says " ?????'s famous fish and chips ", but I didn't recognise the name and can't remember it.

Must give them a lash when I recover from the trauma of kettle of fish! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

So he is basically some chancer putting up Galway's famous fish & chips? :P Not a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Shanley wrote: »
    So he is basically some chancer putting up Galway's famous fish & chips? :P Not a good start

is that the place that used to be a butchers but they were turfed out when they could not pay the rent to their colonial masters on the mainland?

no shop has had any luck there since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

bring back marios or gourmet burger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

ArtyC wrote: »
    bring back marios or gourmet burger!

Marios maybe, but Gourmet Burger was foul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

OMG!!! Anyone rememebr Snack Box?!!! Yummy!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

just saw this place yesterday, it was "tinseltown" for about 2weeks beforehand!

nice to have a new fish n' chips shop, especially with the battering kettle of fish is getting...badabum!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That premises has had a serious amount of businesses in it over the years. It seems like a really good location but there has yet to be someone who has had a real success there. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Snack Box was 'da bomb', queus used to be mental, and food was damn nice.
    Always thought the crepe place seemed to be busy down there but obviously not busy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Doesn't Harry Ramsdens use the term 'World Famous Fish and Chips'?

http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/

Does anyone remember years ago when there was the craic with the woman someone was trying to evict? I think I got that right.

That kebab place seriously didn't last long. It seems like a few premises on Shop Street are cursed - no new business last more than a year or two. Look at where Church Lane is.. does anyone even know how many nightclubs have been there since?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

I miss Zatsuma :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Doesn't Harry Ramsdens use the term 'World Famous Fish and Chips'?

http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/

yeah, I think that's what the sign on the place says ... sorry it's too cold to remember stuff properly at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

OMG!!! Anyone rememebr Snack Box?!!! Yummy!!!!!

A part of Galway died following the closure of that place!!..no other business has come close to the level of turnover that place did..Zatsuma was a popular spot but i heard the rent on the actual premises is insane..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JustMary wrote: »
    yeah, I think that's what the sign on the place says ... sorry it's too cold to remember stuff properly at the moment!

It just says "famous fish and chips".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm sorry, haven't lived in Galway for years but this thread has got me hankering for a dirty big breakfast roll from the Snack Box. That man Mike was a lovely, lovely guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johndeer

The name of the shop is Harry Fitz famous fish and chip. I got some food from there last night.It was delicious.The owners were giving out free food last night for people to taste.Its officially opening monday/tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

johndeer wrote: »
    The name of the shop is Harry Fitz famous fish and chip. I got some food from there last night.It was delicious.The owners were giving out free food last night for people to taste.Its officially opening monday/tuesday

I regret to say that this is my first first post of 2011:
    But I like to help :-).
    (a) check out the Pasty thread. It might make you see how Boardsies react to self-promotion. You will fall on your sword if you get anything wrong.
    (b) any chance of freebie stuff for Boards people before you get banned?
    (c)sorry Mods. Dont want to report on the day thats in it.
    And I wouldnt mind free food ;-)

• Advertisement

does the city really need another chippers. maybe its the tackiness of these places thats works against them, that and the fact that they are usually run by outsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think Galway does need a proper 'chipper' as opposed to the chain places. Places like Keatings, Courtneys and Green Acres were class back in the day. But somewhere that calls itself famous before it even opens would put me off straight away.

take away the chippers and the pubs from galway and the place has very little to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    does the city really need another chippers. maybe its the tackiness of these places thats works against them, that and the fact that they are usually run by outsiders.

Ohh, no. Not outsiders making stuff happen in Galway.

How many chippers do we have? McDonaghs (gets mixed reports, often has queues), KoF (also mixed reviews, see the other thread). A very dodgy looking place on Dominic St. Where else?

JustMary wrote: »
    Ohh, no. Not outsiders making stuff happen in Galway.

How many chippers do we have? McDonaghs (gets mixed reports, often has queues), KoF (also mixed reviews, see the other thread). A very dodgy looking place on Dominic St. Where else?

kof?

outsiders, whether they be from Dublin or further afield come and go and their contribution is not always appreciated. take the strip club for example. we could do without it.

there are too many chippers. there is more than one dodgy chipper in dominic street. there is also a kebab place that charges 10 euro for cat alley meat pegged onto a bit of pita bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

They will find it tough mid week to keep the doors open as there is no trade for this food unless you have a few warm seats inside.
    They are obviously trying to be clever and aim at the tourist Market with a slogan like famous fish and chips.
    Galwegians will not fall for this and may be more sceptical of a place that has to use a gimick.
    Mcdonaghs for good or bad have the fish and chip Market in the bag and this new place will find it hard to compete.
    It's a pity something new and different didn't go in there as it's the same old choice in Galway.
    Will give it a try and make my verdict on the food after a taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

johndeer wrote: »
    The name of the shop is Harry Fitz famous fish and chip.

Is "Harry Fitz" a chain of fish and chip shops elsewhere? Quick google didn't find anything. Surely they can't just say "famous fish and chips" when nobody has even tasted one yet... we're not idiots! They'll not survive the winters if they're reliant on the tourists.

Reminds me of a hotel in Galway I had a job on the construction of a few years ago... their website went live mid-construction... photos of fine dining and describing the wonderful relaxed atmosphere in the restaurant! :p Not as bad as kicking off with "famous" though.

foto joe wrote: »
    Is "Harry Fitz" a chain of fish and chip shops elsewhere? Quick google didn't find anything. Surely they can't just say "famous fish and chips" when nobody has even tasted one yet... we're not idiots! They'll not survive the winters if they're reliant on the tourists.

Reminds me of a hotel in Galway I had a job on the construction of a few years ago... their website went live mid-construction... photos of fine dining and describing the wonderful relaxed atmosphere in the restaurant! :p Not as bad as kicking off with "famous" though.

in terms of marketing its quite clever.it gives you the impression that the place has been there since the beginning of time, like of the pubs around the city try to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

That place seem to be a new food joint every 6mths to a year, I think it's cursed. Franky nothing that's ever been there since I moved to Galway has been that exciting, and I seriously doubt I'll go in - being from Scotland, I'm sick of the sight of fecking chippies :pac:

• Advertisement

it would appear that a culinary experience in Galway is a chipper to cater for the drunken masses at night or fish and chips to cater for the tourists.

Advertisement