Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Place Opposite Taaffes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Vinny's is a good feed but then again most places are after 10 pints :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I tried this place today. Went for plaice and chips and got two decent sized plaice fillets and a huge helping of chips. I was really impressed with the quality of the fish and the chips were good too. It was pretty much the price I'd expect for that in Galway but I got a great feed for the money I spent. If they keep the standards up I'll definitely be visiting again.

...and before anyone asks, no, I've absolutely nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

How much are the chips? Are they home made? How are they on veggie stuff like onion rings/mushies etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Vinny's is a good feed but then again most places are after 10 pints :D

Vinnie's is good sober too. Their burgers are a bit mediocre but the chicken and Mexican chips are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Herself and a friend visited (I'm anti-fish so...) and they loved it. Not sure what they got though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I shall try this and give my verdict.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Do they have seating inside?
    I'd often fancy fish and chips but I live a bit outside town and rely on public transport and don't fancy the idea or carrying it on the bus but wouldn't mind giving them a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jconnon

surely they wont survive without seating.Mcdonaghs and supermacs have seating so their fish and chips would want to be amazing. Has anyone been in there,do they be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I miss Zatsuma :(
    I thought there were doing okay. Obviously not.

Nice to see a new chipper. If anyone is in there ask them why they're calling it famous please.
    the problem with kettle of fish I found (only was in the Gort one) was that it took VERY long. They'd argue that you wait for good food.....
    I'll try the new plaice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭squonk

I tried this place last night after a fair feed of pints in Taaffes. Chips were E2, I went for Smoked Colie which was E5.80 and got charged E9.60 which, I presume was E1.80 for a can of coke! Having said that, I did have a good few pints so I might not have read correctly. In any case, the food took a bit to come and I was wondering what the hell was going on when the girl grabbed a slice of lemon and a small thimble of tartar sauce and stuck them in the box as well. I had the food when I got home about 10 minutes later. You can't fault it really. It's fantastic. Probably some of the nicest fish and chips I've had. Having said that though, I think it'll be a treat in the future rather than a staple as I'd probably just head down to Supermacs or try McDonaghs and save the few bob. It's too good for chips you want bailing out of a pub and not good enough to have during the day without seating when you could just get a seat in a cafe and a cup of coffee as well for E10. I hope they do well but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't last either. Having said that, I'll probably miss the fish and chips all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

squonk wrote: »
    I tried this place last night after a fair feed of pints in Taaffes. Chips were E2, I went for Smoked Colie which was E5.80 and got charged E9.60 which, I presume was E1.80 for a can of coke! Having said that, I did have a good few pints so I might not have read correctly. In any case, the food took a bit to come and I was wondering what the hell was going on when the girl grabbed a slice of lemon and a small thimble of tartar sauce and stuck them in the box as well. I had the food when I got home about 10 minutes later. You can't fault it really. It's fantastic. Probably some of the nicest fish and chips I've had. Having said that though, I think it'll be a treat in the future rather than a staple as I'd probably just head down to Supermacs or try McDonaghs and save the few bob. It's too good for chips you want bailing out of a pub and not good enough to have during the day without seating when you could just get a seat in a cafe and a cup of coffee as well for E10. I hope they do well but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't last either. Having said that, I'll probably miss the fish and chips all the same!

Having said that, good review :) .

Seaneh wrote: »
    Do they have seating inside?
    I'd often fancy fish and chips but I live a bit outside town and rely on public transport and don't fancy the idea or carrying it on the bus but wouldn't mind giving them a lash.

I don't think they'd have very adequate seating. From what I remember of the Snack Box and Zatsuma, there would only be seats for about 5 people?

they might fail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I don't think they'd have very adequate seating. From what I remember of the Snack Box and Zatsuma, there would only be seats for about 5 people?

let the drunken masses stand.

maybe Bia Devil or Tom Doorley will check them out and pass verdict?

is having a quick bite to eat really limited to chippers and 'chinese'?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Fuinseog wrote: »
    is having a quick bite to eat really limited to chippers and 'chinese'?

There was a thread about this before I think. There's that crepe place across from Neachtain's but its very expensive, and java's, which I've never been in, but apart from that I can't think of any late food places that aren't fast food crap.

benjamin d wrote: »
    There was a thread about this before I think. There's that crepe place across from Neachtain's but its very expensive, and java's, which I've never been in, but apart from that I can't think of any late food places that aren't fast food crap.

i notice there are no hot dog stands in galway
    Galway is supposed to be cosmopolitan, but in terms of night food its stuck in the seventies. even the fast food crap is expensive. cat alley quality meat is not cheap, but as most people are pissed anyway they will pay any price and eat any muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

let the drunken masses stand.

Tom Doorley

Worst food writer on the planet!
    Hasn't a bloody clue what he is talking about, his taste of wine and knowledge of it is abysmal on top of that.

If you know Tom our gave him a free meal = Good review.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'll try the new plaice anyway.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Galway is supposed to be cosmopolitan, but in terms of night food its stuck in the seventies. even the fast food crap is expensive. cat alley quality meat is not cheap, but as most people are pissed anyway they will pay any price and eat any muck.

A few hot dog stands set up about 7 years ago but were closed down because they were trading in a non-designated area.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Seaneh wrote: »
    Worst food writer on the planet!
    Hasn't a bloody clue what he is talking about, his taste of wine and knowledge of it is abysmal on top of that.

If you know Tom our gave him a free meal = Good review.

Truth. That's why Madame showed him the door in the Times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Place looks nice and clean which us a good sign but I just cannot see it doing enough volume to cover the costs of the location and overheads.
    Hope they make a go of it but it does not appeal to me what they are offering would have like a healthy new food product to have gone in there.
    1500 plus greasy calories for 10 euro no thanks

It's not just night food that is terrible - there are an extreme lack of late-night cafes too! It's extraordinarily annoying. There's Javas, yes, but it'd be nice to have a change of scenery in this city, if you're not interested in going to a pub.

Is Galway really supposed to be cosmopolitan though?

I have to agree that hot dog stands would do quite well - one on Shop Street and another in Eyre Square. It's a shame that they don't utilize that area more - there should be a pavilion of some form where there could be music played from, though having said this, it'll probably just be where the bums go for a few cans when it's raining. Though one or two foodstalls during the summer might do good business there.

its a little known fact that ten men died of hunger while waiting in the queue at harry Fitzs. their names include bobby sands and francis hughes and are remembered on a plaque on the wall of the same chipper.

not sure if people who starved themselves to death is a good advertisement for a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Interestingly the Grainstore cafe is doing supper from 5-9. Not exactly late, I know, and I don't know how much business they're going. But good to see someone trying.

Griffins Bakery were doing some nights until 10pm over summer, think they've stopped now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I went in there the other day to give it a try. Staff were friendly and the fish was very very nice. Same feckin price as Mcdonaghs though, I was expecting a little cheaper.
    It's no Snack Box though, best chipper of all time.

JustMary wrote: »
    Interestingly the Grainstore cafe is doing supper from 5-9. Not exactly late, I know, and I don't know how much business they're going. But good to see someone trying.

Griffins Bakery were doing some nights until 10pm over summer, think they've stopped now.

Where is the Grainstore cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

beagle001 wrote: »
    Place looks nice and clean which us a good sign but I just cannot see it doing enough volume to cover the costs of the location and overheads.
    Hope they make a go of it but it does not appeal to me what they are offering would have like a healthy new food product to have gone in there.
    1500 plus greasy calories for 10 euro no thanks

I haven't been there yet but step back a minute.
    a can of fanta/coke costs about €1.80 in any chipper, chips seem to be about the same price too. If you want quality/proper fish you're going to pay proper prices for it.
    If you have to wait long that's probably because it takes a while to cook. Kettle Fish was a long wait too but maybe that's the way it is when cooking fish. McDonaghs probably have fish cooking all the time so it's quicker...

I'll give it a chance anyway and see. If I'm eating fish n chips I'd need space to eat it in though...

went there today, their eto fail,no seating and bad expensive food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

what??

• Advertisement

what??
    their going to fail,itll close;)

Advertisement